CompTIA Net + -- where do i go from here

iamthenetiamthenet Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I passed Comptia A+ easily in Apr 09 and recently passed Security + on 24 Dec 10. I bombed Net + badly on 29 Dec 10. The first two were fairly easily, but Net+ was another animal. So, where do i go from here? Should i pursue Net+ or get into a program for a higher Network Cert? Are there any other network certs that dont' expire? I have no problem going for a CCNA, but the Net + was cool with the no expiration. What should i do? I read the Michael Myers book for Network + but i got a cheapie on ebay but it was for the previous test, not the latest Net + 09.

Comments

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    iamthenet wrote: »
    I passed Comptia A+ easily in Apr 09 and recently passed Security + on 24 Dec 10. I bombed Net + badly on 29 Dec 10. The first two were fairly easily, but Net+ was another animal. So, where do i go from here? Should i pursue Net+ or get into a program for a higher Network Cert? Are there any other network certs that dont' expire? I have no problem going for a CCNA, but the Net + was cool with the no expiration. What should i do? I read the Michael Myers book for Network + but i got a cheapie on ebay but it was for the previous test, not the latest Net + 09.

MCSA wouldn't be to bad. Security fills an elective.

CCENT wouldn't be bad either.
  • iamthenetiamthenet Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    MCSA wouldn't be to bad. Security fills an elective.

CCENT wouldn't be bad either.

Thanks, i'll look into the MCSA track and maybe the CCENT next.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    iamthenet wrote: »
    Thanks, i'll look into the MCSA track and maybe the CCENT next.

N2IT def gave great starting points. I say if after this Net+ test (at this point) you absolutely hate networking, then stick with the MCSA, aim for MCSE and then upgrade to the MCITP route but gain the rest of the CCNA knowledge through reading. Networking knowledge can only help you in the IT business.
  • SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    A windows client cert like XP or Win7? You've got the hardware down (A+), the basics of networking and security. With those skills desktop OS's should be fairly simple for you.

That too would also work you towards your MCSA/MCSE/MCITP (Server Side). Or you go for the Enterprise Desktop Support certs if you are doing desktop support right now.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm currently work Tier-1 helpdesk/customer support. I'm trying to beef up the resume to get into Tier-2 helpdesk at some point. I like the MCSA, MCSE, MCIPT track. I'm taking a month to study for the Net +, will try again sometime next month. After that i'll start the MCSA.
  • eljunbo809eljunbo809 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Iamthenet if you dot mind me asking i am in the process of getting my comptia a+ can i ask how you got your job? If it was only after you got your comptia a+ ?
    I got my A+ while on Active duty military through the DoD8570 program. I was able to use some inside contacts to secure a contractor gig after i retired.