What's a good box to purchases to run Windows 2008 with Hyper-V?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I am going to run a KVM, so all I need is a new box that will strictly host 2008 windows server with other plug ins installed like AKI etc. I would like to also use the Hyper-V tool to host server 2003. I am trying to get to know both of them from a functional standpoint then move forward. I might just install 2003 on the box first do my 290 and 291 and the reimage it with a distro of 2008.

Any recommendations on a affordable KVM and a Desktop/Server?

The machine I have at home now is spotty. I am running 4 gbs of ram with a intergrated video card :/ and a 70 gb hard drive :/

Comments

• ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    The integrated video card isn't a big deal, but if you're looking for a new box for Hyper-V you'll want to make sure you have a cpu that support virtualization. That's priority #1. #2 would be more ram. The more ram you have, the more virtual machines you can load up. #3 would be your hard drive(s). If you can afford solid state hard drives they're much better for virtualization!

I had a really nice gaming card in my Server 2008 machine. Sold it to buy more ram icon_lol.gif

8gb of ram would be fine. 12gb would be outstanding. Hard drive size doesn't matter, really...you want SPEED. If you can't afford the solid state drives get multiple smaller 7200rpm (preferrably faster) SATA drives.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm running 2008R2 with Hyper-V on a Dell Optiplex 780 with 8GB ram. Not sure how hard I can push it but works fine for playing around.