Options

Does renewing the sec+ renew my other comptia certs??

buff3r0vrfl0wbuff3r0vrfl0w Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I currently got the comptia A+ and net+ , I really wanted to get sec+ before the end of the of the year but oh well. Now I plan to get the sec+ in March. If I am thinking correctly, when I renew my sec+ 3 years from now will that update my A+ and Net+ certs? I got the A+ and Net+ before the deadline. But I know some employers want you up to date...but if I am getting my sec+ every 3 years than will that update my A and Net+?

Comments

• Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    I hold multiple CompTIA certifications. Am I required to renew each of them?
    No. Individuals with multiple CompTIA certifications are encouraged to participate in CE at the highest level of
    certification held. For example, someone who holds CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+ and CompTIA Security+
    certifications would be required to meet only the continuing education requirements for CompTIA Security+.
    Completion of CE for CompTIA Security+ would grant the participant with a CompTIA Security+ce, and
    simultaneously grant a new CompTIA A+ce and CompTIA Network+ce. Please note you must have a certification for
    it to be applicable as part of the CE program. No certification is granted through CE participation, only renewed.

See here: http://www.comptia.org/Libraries/Certification_Documents/CE_FAQ.sflb.ashx

-ken
  • Options
    hackman2007hackman2007 Member Posts: 185
    Hi All,

I currently got the comptia A+ and net+ , I really wanted to get sec+ before the end of the of the year but oh well. Now I plan to get the sec+ in March. If I am thinking correctly, when I renew my sec+ 3 years from now will that update my A+ and Net+ certs? I got the A+ and Net+ before the deadline. But I know some employers want you up to date...but if I am getting my sec+ every 3 years than will that update my A and Net+?

If people had to constantly renew the other certs (referring directly to A+ and Network+), I think you would see a lot less people getting these certs and instead go straight for Security+ since it is recommended you have both A+ and Security+.

It wouldn't be very smart of CompTIA to require recertification of every lower cert.

But for their official response, see the second post.
  • Options
    @ninjaboy wow that's kinda convient being I am going to have to take the security + every 3 years anyways.. and I do want to keep them up to date so it works out..just wish I didn't have to pay the $147 every 3 years but I guess you can pay annually too..thanks for the info
  • Options
    michaelcoxmichaelcox Member Posts: 105
    so, perhaps I'm confused. tell me what you guys think.

I got A+ in 1998, Network+ in 2000, and Security+ in 2010. Of course, all of these are for life. If I enroll in CE on Security+, I still have these certs for life, but now I have all of these on CE for 3-years also? would that be correct?

Courses Completed at WGU ( 8 ):
    Term 1 (April 2011): EWB2, WSV1, BRV1, BSV1 | Term 2 (October 2011): LET1, ORC1 | Term 3 (April 2012): MGC1, TPV1
    Courses Required Graduate WGU with BS - IT: SEC ( 8 ):
    BOV1, KET1, WDV1, KFT1, ABV1, TWA1, BLV1, CPW4
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    michaelcox wrote: »
    so, perhaps I'm confused. tell me what you guys think.

I got A+ in 1998, Network+ in 2000, and Security+ in 2010. Of course, all of these are for life. If I enroll in CE on Security+, I still have these certs for life, but now I have all of these on CE for 3-years also? would that be correct?

Mike...here is the rundown as I understand it.

1) Enroll in the Security+ Ce program. Pay the $147 one time or the annual amount year ($147/3).

2) Get 50 CEUs to update Security+

3) When the 50 CEUs are updated, A+, Network+ and Security+ are all updated. Because A+ and Network+ are lifetime, they will also be lifetime as well as have the CE designation.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Mike...here is the rundown as I understand it.

1) Enroll in the Security+ Ce program. Pay the $147 one time or the annual amount year ($147/3).

2) Get 50 CEUs to update Security+

3) When the 50 CEUs are updated, A+, Network+ and Security+ are all updated. Because A+ and Network+ are lifetime, they will also be lifetime as well as have the CE designation.

ok, that is how I understood it also. So, I'm planning on going to WGU. If I signup for CE and get the 50 CEUs, i wonder if WGU will give me credit for all 3 certs. Right now, I think they will only give me credit for Security+.

Term 1 (April 2011): EWB2, WSV1, BRV1, BSV1 | Term 2 (October 2011): LET1, ORC1 | Term 3 (April 2012): MGC1, TPV1
  • Options
    If you got the Security + after 2010 you are automatically enrolled in the CE program .. and say you have all lifetime certs and want to do the CE program you have until 12/31/2012 to do so I believe..
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    michaelcox wrote: »
    ok, that is how I understood it also. So, I'm planning on going to WGU. If I signup for CE and get the 50 CEUs, i wonder if WGU will give me credit for all 3 certs. Right now, I think they will only give me credit for Security+.

I'm going to willing to bet that when you apply to WGU, it will be before you obtain 50 CEUs. If your A+ and Network is older than 5 years, you may be better off getting your A+ and Network+ again. If it's been under 5 years, then your A+, Network+ and Securty+ will transfer.

WGU 5 year policy and CompTIAs CE policy don't really have anything to do with the other. I beat WGU's 5 year policy by like 4 months....if I had to apply today, I would have had to taken the A+ and Network+ again because it goes by the current score report/transcript of when you obtained the certs. That was something I did NOT want to do...(retake entry level certs that were already "lifetime.")
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I'm going to willing to bet that when you apply to WGU, it will be before you obtain 50 CEUs. If your A+ and Network is older than 5 years, you may be better off getting your A+ and Network+ again. If it's been under 5 years, then your A+, Network+ and Securty+ will transfer.

if I would to enroll in the CE program, items/activities completed 90-days before enrollment would count. Since I got my Security+ in late December, I think I could enroll now and have it count.

"Obtaining an industry certification relevant to the highest level CompTIA certification held For an individual who is considered “certified for life” the higher level certification must be earned within 90 days prior to CE program enrollment or within the current three year CE cycle. For an individual certified after Jan 1, 2011 the higher level certification must be earned within the current three year CE cycle."

• Options
    ok, I just enrolled in Comptia CE and will see what happens.