Options

ICND1 Tommorow..Here are my Boson Scores

ike12ike12 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I have taken the Cisco ICND 1 course and then took the test about 4 months ago and got a 697.

I now have been studying like crazy and lately using the Boson Ex-mAx Sim test. It has three Exams approx 60 questions each.

I have heard that once you pass all three you are all but gurenteed to pass the real exam. so here are my boson exam results..just wondering what everyones opinion is...thanks alot

Exam A: 881 - pass - 88.14% ( i have gotten a 100% on this one before)

Exam B: 983 -pass- 98.33%

Exam C: 933- 93.33%

Thanks all. I just want to get this test behind me and move onto ICND2..

Comments

• Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    If those are the scores the first time through - then you would be in very good shape. If you have taken the tests before but not looked at the answers of the ones you missed then you are probably still in pretty good shape. If you have been taking the exams over and over and you are looking at the answers each time then they wouldn't be a very good indication.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    gosh1976 wrote: »
    If you have been taking the exams over and over and you are looking at the answers each time then they wouldn't be a very good indication.

Well, if all he did was memorize answers.

I always look at the answers. What good is taking a practice test if I don't get to see what I got wrong? That way I can go and research the topic and find out why I thought what I did, and why the other answer is correct.

Looking at your scores, you are probably prepared for the exam.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    chmorin wrote: »
    Well, if all he did was memorize answers.

I always look at the answers. What good is taking a practice test if I don't get to see what I got wrong? That way I can go and research the topic and find out why I thought what I did, and why the other answer is correct.

Looking at your scores, you are probably prepared for the exam.

There are two reasons people take the practice test - to gauge readiness - and as a study aid. If someone looks at the answers even when not trying to memorize them they will remember some of them and skew the results of later practice tests if mainly trying to gauge readiness. I usually don't look at any of the answers or explanations until I've taken the exams a couple of times or I am getting a pretty good score. Then I will go through again and look at all the explanations for the ones I miss. That way I don't get a false sense of being better prepared than I am and I also get the added benefit of using the practice test software as a study aid when I am just about ready to sit the exam. I just feel like I get more out of the practice tests that way and get a better read on how ready I am to take the plunge with the real thing.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replys.

I have taken each of them about 5 times.

Yes I looked at which ones I got wrong. But only to study WHY i got it wrong.

I was worried I would start to memorize the exams so I really read each question and try to answer the multiple choice ones in my head before looking at the options for answers.

and the labs I dont think are possible to memorize.

I have been on subnetting.org for a long time now and get almost every single one correct.

Tommorow at 1 cant come quick enough.. I will update you when i get back for sure..

I was still wondering on peoples opinions about BOSON ex-max sims in general. Have others done well on the boson then passed the exam? thanks
  • Options
    I used the Boson Ex-Max Sim practice tests for the ICND1. If I remember correctly I was getting similar scores to you in the days before I took the ICND1 and I did pretty well on the real thing.

Good Luck! Sounds like you should be pretty well prepared!
  • Options
    Oh great. thank you for that,
  • Options
    BrandonXBrandonX Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good Luck !!!! And don't forget to update us on your PASS and study tactics
    Currently working on:
    1) Master in CyberSecurity at NU.edu
    2) ICND1

2011 goals:
    ICND2 ( End Feb 2011?)
    MCITP:
    70-680: (End of March 2011)
    70-640: ????
    70-642: ????
    70-643: ????
    70-647: ????
    Resume:

BS ITM
    Bachelor of Business Administration
    Security+
    Network+
  • Options
    YahelYahel Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck :)
    CCNA = Passed (01-02-2011)
    NEXT : CCNP ROUTE
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good Luck!! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Greenmet29Greenmet29 Member Posts: 240
    Good luck Ike!! Put one in the "W" column for us!!
  • Options
    PASSED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_cheers.gif

I am so pumped..

It was WAY harder than i had oringally thought. Dont know why I really thought it was going to be like the boson ex-max sims, but it wasnt

I am not saying the boson didnt help because clearly i learned ALOT from it just that it wasnt what i expected. I also took the ICND1 course in NY this past summer...

So how much harder is ICND2?

Thank you all.
  • Options
    Greenmet29Greenmet29 Member Posts: 240
    What do you mean by "It was WAY harder than i had originally thought"? What kind of stuff was on it that you didn't think would be? (without giving away any of the actual questions, of course)

Oh, and CONGRATS ON THE PASS!!!!!
  • Options
    badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    Congratz IKE! icon_thumright.gif

I plan to take CCENT as well, by mid year at the latest.. what other study books or material did you use other than the Boson Sim-Tests? Do you have any other certs?
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • Options
    Congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    Thank you all and I used just my course reference and also the subnet guide from www.NetworkingExamAcademy.com .. Blake was a great guy and for the cheap price of the book it was worth it.

I mainly credit the Boson sim as I used it ALOT..

I think it was harder becusae as I said I was SO used to the boson exams lol. which i was told were 30% harder than the official exam. but o well.

The questions were of the same subjects just mixed around wording and topologys. which is prob what threw me off

Going for my ICND2 within the next 12 months.

• Options
    tomaifauchaitomaifauchai Member Posts: 301 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats for your CCENT!

ICDN2 is as hard as subnetting is probably.
    Once you know how to subnet within 10 seconds, you're done.

Once you know OSPF DR/BDR elections are always the "HIGHER" thing and STP is always the "LOWER" thing and understand the process of each of them, you're almost done :)

This for me, was the 3 most difficult things to learn in the whole CCNA.
    Subnetting, OSPF elections, STP elections!
  • Options
    ike12 wrote: »
    PASSED
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

ICND1 had the trivia and networking history you needed for the rest of the ICND1 (and ICND2) stuff to make sense. ICND2 moves more into routing and switching theory and then the application. The more hands on lab practice you do, the easier it is to learn and understand the exam topics -- and the easier the ICND2 exam will be.

Good Luck with your ICND2 studies. icon_study.gif
  • Options
    badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    ICDN2 is as hard as subnetting is probably.
    Once you know how to subnet within 10 seconds, you're done.

whaa i thought the guideline is within 20 seconds..
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • Options
    badboyeee wrote: »
    whaa i thought the guideline is within 20 seconds..
    Anything less than a minute -- even if you need to count on your fingers and use a **** sheet that you scribbled on your dry erase board -- will get you through the CCNA. But since subnetting is the FIRST critical skill you need to master to have a chance at a Cisco networking career, you want to be good at it. And the time you save can be used as a buffer in case you get some extra "beta SIMs" or additional questions on the exam.

Where the 10 second rule comes in handy is when you have a multiple choice question and have to evaluate the 5 possible answers -- effectively having to perform 5 different subnetting tasks to confirm or toss an answer out of contension. You might see something like that when you're given a network prefix and a sample routing table with various subnets and have to pick which route will get used.
  • Options
    Thanks for the ICND2 info. Is there a specific study guide you would recommend for the ICND2?

I am hoping to still take the Cisco course (week long course in NYC).. I can subnet rather well actually its just the other criteria you mentioned that worries me :D
  • Options
    seekritseekrit Member Posts: 103
    The ICND2 is heavily focused on STP, VTP ACL, OSPF, EIGRP and VLSM. Proven resource are:

• Wendell's ICND2 offical certification book from CiscoPress.
    • Sybex CCNA study guide
    • 31 days before your CCNA (awesome)
    Good luck! icon_study.gif
  • Options
    Thank you for that
  • Options
    simplysimply Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats IKE

Thanks IKE for initiating the thread and for all the other postings...

I'm currently studying for CCENT. I have following and have been struggling on whether or not i should put together a CCNA lab for hands on experience:

CCENT/ICND1 - Odem 2nd edition
    CBTNugget Video ( CCENT/CCNA )
    Boson ExSim ( icnd1 & icnd2 ) - exam simulator
    NetSim 8 for CCNA
    Cisco CCNA Network Simulator 640-802
    Cisco CCNA Portable command Guide

Seems like above should be sufficient to get through ICND1... however, i am debating / struggling with whether or not i should invest heavily now for CCNA lab...

I realize this isn't a hardware thread; however, would like to ask about following in reference, to additional items that may be required in addition to Boson, odem's book etc...

Problem i've encountered, though there are kits that can be purchased, in order to get the correct IOS for the right features IPV6, STP, VLAN, etc.. , i have to purchase re-license from cisco and the licenses are very expensive, more than complete cost of kit / lab...

Two Cisco 2610XM 256/48 12.4 Routers
    One Cisco 2611XM dual Etherent 256/48 12.4 Router
    One 3550 Layer 3 Switch
    Two Cisco 2950 Switches

I can create another thread to address and follow hardware question