Options

CEH and SSCP?

kiki1579kiki1579 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
I need some advice on which path to take as far as Security certs go. I'm going to work on 70-647/646 this year to finish out my MCITP, and I wanted to finish the N+ cert since the Sybex book I got last year is slowly collecting dust.

Eventually I'll get into some Cisco at work, once we get new equipment in...but that might be a while. For the Sec certs, I've been looking at CEH and SSCP for starters. Are they worth my time, or is there something better? Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    both diff ends of the spectrum

have you tried the sec+ via comptia thats a nice start for sec work

c|eh is more of a pen test
    and
    sscp is more of a defence cert

top end of sec certs is the cissp

imo i would get sec+ then both the others after that work on getting the cissp
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If it were still 2010 and the Security+ was for life I would say:

Security+ --> SSCP --> C|EH

I think your plan looks good.
  • Options
    I just re-uped my Sec+ 2008 version last year, so I'm good there. I don't have enough experience for CISSP yet, so maybe a step down and go with the SSCP instead.
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    kiki1579 wrote: »
    I just re-uped my Sec+ 2008 version last year, so I'm good there. I don't have enough experience for CISSP yet, so maybe a step down and go with the SSCP instead.

You can always sit the CISSP and if you pass but don't have the experience, you will get an "associate of ISC(2)" status until you obtain the required experience.
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    rwmidl wrote: »
    You can always sit the CISSP and if you pass but don't have the experience, you will get an "associate of ISC(2)" status until you obtain the required experience.

i did not know that

then once ya get the exp do you send it to them for a cert?
  • Options
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    TheSuperRuskiTheSuperRuski Member Posts: 240
    rwmidl wrote: »

Do you guys know if that applies to the CEH. They have a requirement like that as well. Either have the experience or take one of there like 5grand boot camp courses.
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

• Options
    thanks will do

edit: just looked at how long ive been working here so im covered 6 years in comp networking
  • Options
    ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    Do you guys know if that applies to the CEH. They have a requirement like that as well. Either have the experience or take one of there like 5grand boot camp courses.

Hey SuperRuski, it doesn't work for CEH, but you can sit for their VERY expensive class(3-4k I think) and get the experienced waved.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You can send any security related course work and on the job training to EC-Council and they will review it. If they feel it is enough, they'll send you the code and you can self-study. I have a BS in Computer Security and Technology and they let me self-study.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff