Options

70-642 Passed

dexterryudexterryu Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just finished sitting the 70-642 and passed it with a 976.

A lot of that came from sticky on the exam on this board to get me up to speed on the R2 stuff that wasn't covered in the MS press book. I was also really surprised at the improvement in my score from the 640. I attribute that to being more familiar with how MS asks its questions and the changes I made to my preparations.

Basically my procedure is this: I read the chapter in the MS press book. Then watch the CBT Nugget video that covers the same material, and then I lab from the MS press book. Once I finish the material, I then read the stickies and did the measure up practice tests that came with my book.

For those wondering, the test is back to 45 questions (down from the 75 I got on my 640) and did include R2 specific stuff (Direct Access, DNSSEC, etc...)

Comments

• Options
    unnamedplayerunnamedplayer Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dexterryu wrote: »
    Just finished sitting the 70-642 and passed it with a 976.

A lot of that came from sticky on the exam on this board to get me up to speed on the R2 stuff that wasn't covered in the MS press book. I was also really surprised at the improvement in my score from the 640. I attribute that to being more familiar with how MS asks its questions and the changes I made to my preparations.

Basically my procedure is this: I read the chapter in the MS press book. Then watch the CBT Nugget video that covers the same material, and then I lab from the MS press book. Once I finish the material, I then read the stickies and did the measure up practice tests that came with my book.

For those wondering, the test is back to 45 questions (down from the 75 I got on my 640) and did include R2 specific stuff (Direct Access, DNSSEC, etc...)

Nice job and nice score! I am studying for this test now as well after just completing the 70-640 too. How long did it end up taking you to study for this? So far I feel I am cruising along pretty well compared to when I studied for the 70-640.

Did you think it was a difficult exam? Are you moving on to the 646? Congrats again!
  • Options
    I "officially" started studying on Dec 1. I passed my 640 on Nov 17th and then took a couple of weeks off as a break. So I didn't start reading or watching vids until the 1st. So... I probably spent about 2 1/2 weeks getting through the book, vids, and labs. Then about a week and a half on practice tests.

I wanted to take the exam last week, but none of the testing centers near me were open.
  • Options
    PovilasPovilas Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I also passed 70-642 today with score 976, but using bit different technique:
    I go trough CBT or Trainsignal video (all videos at once), then read MS-Press book (also all chapters), then I do lab's from the MS press book. This way I better remember during iteration of the same information. Of course, after that - "stickies". I read topics that are not covered in MS-Press books, or covered not enough, then take measureup test (I found it to be much harder than real exam).
    By far this technique proves it self. Usually it takes ~4 weeks with ~4 hours per day to get ready for exam.

About 70-642: strange thing. First time I registered for this exam Prometric told me that I will need 4 hours for it (like 70-640), but later I rescheduled it for different date and magic happened - now I only require 2,5 hours.
    Test was quite easy: half of questions was covered by 70-680 and 70-640 and I didn't even get one question about DirectAccess or DNSSEC.
    Next is 70-646 in 3 weeks.
    2013 to do list:
    [70-413] [70-414]
  • Options
    ltgenspecificltgenspecific Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Great job and nice scores guys! Gratz for sure.

I'm in the process of reviewing for the 70-640 and 642, I found the material to be so similar in scope and process, it just made sense to study for both at the same time.

Out of curiosity, what R2 questions did you guys encounter?
  • Options
    LCALCA Member Posts: 215
    Strong effort, very well done!

BTW, what's next?

icon_thumright.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://sqlsnapshots.blogspot.com/ - My SQL Server exam resources blog
  • Options
    PovilasPovilas Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□

On 640 had several questions that required to know cmdlets, new features of R2 domain functional levels.
    On 642 several questions that required to know branchcache, multiple active firewall profiles.

At first I was bit confused because all situations in questions mentions 2008 R2, but never 2008 alone. So if you encounter question with "2008 R2" in most cases it can be replaced with "2008". But i suggest to read carefully about new features - there are good resources in stickies.
    2013 to do list:
    [70-413] [70-414]
  • Options
    Great job and nice scores guys! Gratz for sure.

I'm in the process of reviewing for the 70-640 and 642, I found the material to be so similar in scope and process, it just made sense to study for both at the same time.

640- I got hit with like 3-4 questions on AD recycle bin and the powershell commands to work with them.

642- a few direct access questions and 1 question on DNSSEC.

Also, I just took and passed 646 today. My work had an expiring voucher so I tried a couple of practice tests from measure up and did well so I decided to just take it and passed it. I found it to be the easiest of the 3 by far and the networking\monitoring questions were very very similar to the 642. No command line questions... just knowing what features do what. The only thing I felt I needed to read up on were the differences between the different types of clusters.
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats guys
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    Geetar28Geetar28 Member Posts: 101
    dexterryu wrote: »
    640- I got hit with like 3-4 questions on AD recycle bin and the powershell commands to work with them.

642- a few direct access questions and 1 question on DNSSEC.

Also, I just took and passed 646 today. .

Big Congrats!! You made quick work of 'em!! Great job.