Options

Preplogic $4 Mega Guides

If anyone is interested, they are having a sale... I picked up a couple... I used it on Security+ and found it helpful.
Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark

Comments

• Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Tell them hi for me when they start calling you. :)
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    Armor149Armor149 Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What happened to $1 Mega Guides?
    arwes wrote: »
    Tell them hi for me when they start calling you. :)

Now that you mention it, I haven't had my monthly pestering from them.icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for this. I have gone ahead and purchased these as they were only $20 (the entire MCITP:EA set [70-640, 70-642, 70-643, 70-647, & 70-680). I plan on going over the 70-642 and updating my MCITP:EA thread with what I've done, as I need to get back on track with this...hopefully I can take the 642 in late February or sometime in March.

EDIT: I put my google voice number...as soon as I see a number I don't recognize, they go straight to the GV voicemail.... :D
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Thanks for this. I have gone ahead and purchased these as they were only $20 (the entire MCITP:EA set [70-640, 70-642, 70-643, 70-647, & 70-680). I plan on going over the 70-642 and updating my MCITP:EA thread with what I've done, as I need to get back on track with this...hopefully I can take the 642 in late February or sometime in March.

EDIT: I put my google voice number...as soon as I see a number I don't recognize, they go straight to the GV voicemail.... :D

That's a great idea! I just set up GV to do this. I feel bad for giving them my mom & dad's number last time. icon_lol.gif I'd use the local time & weather line, but that thing stays busy enough as it is.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    erpadmin wrote: »

Same. Their extremely pushy in my experience haha.
  • Options
    ODNationODNation Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    nice deal - just bought 70-680, 70-685, 70-640, 70-642, 70-643, 70-647
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i just gave them my old cell phone number
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Giving old cell phone numbers is for wimps.

I bought a megaguide and gave them a kidney, the fillings out of my teeth, and my first born.
  • Options
    last time around I picked up Win 7, Security+, and CCNA..

but I have only used Security+ so far... but I liked it.... now those were $3, so it seemed wrong to pay $4 this time, but hey, it is still only $4

now this time around I got the 2 for MCDST, 70-290, and Server+

I already read the Sybex book, so I didn't really want to buy the MCDST ones, but if I didn't buy them, then tanked the test over $8, I would we be very pissed at myself....
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    tomahawkeertomahawkeer Member Posts: 179
  • Options
    hex_omegahex_omega Member Posts: 183
    Guys, is it possible to re-download some audio training material from Preplogic or am I SOL? I bought it about 6 or 7 months ago but I seem to have lost the files. Do I have to contact their support line?
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Guys/Gals, I would hold up and wait a little while. They usually have $1 deals.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    hex_omega wrote: »
    Guys, is it possible to re-download some audio training material from Preplogic or am I SOL? I bought it about 6 or 7 months ago but I seem to have lost the files. Do I have to contact their support line?

Either contact them or find your original e-mail, but surely if you contact them they are best to advise you on your options.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Guys/Gals, I would hold up and wait a little while. They usually have $1 deals.

I have always paid a dollar for the mega guides.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    i just gave them my old cell phone number

I gave them my landline. That doesn't have a phone plugged into it.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    JugglingRefereeJugglingReferee Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    New to the cert world.

What are these Preplogic guides? Can they be used by themselves to pass the MCSE or MCITP?
  • Options
    New to the cert world.

What are these Preplogic guides? Can they be used by themselves to pass the MCSE or MCITP?

I highly doubt it. I only use these things for a quick review to brush up on a few things.
  • Options
    arwes wrote: »
    I only use these things for a quick review to brush up on a few things.

same here
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    I gotta say I'm liking the CCNA one so far. I started reading a little over an hour ago and I'm about a quarter of the way through it. It is by no means a good sole study source, but taking the exam this weekend, it's a good last minute brush up/refresher kind of guide. I've used Todd Lammle's version 6 study guide as my main study material, and it was very thorough, but it's hard for me to go back and re-read the same book and glean any new information, because I tend to sort of glaze over. The Preplogic guide has helped snap things back into my mind that I remember reading it Lammle's book, but just sort of filtered out as I got more into labbing stuff.

It's not bad supplemental material for $4. No way I'd pay full price for it though.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks, got the CISSP, SCCP and MCTIP guides. If there just review of memorization type stuff like protocols, commands, etc, great.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    (Assuming you have a normal stomach...)

These guides are like appetizers. It is unlikely you will be full and satisfied with those....they're just to hold you over until you are served entrées. Those will usually be books and/or CBT materials (mostly books though).

Appetizers are not considered full meals [don't kid yourself]. :)
  • Options
    jmritenour wrote: »
    but it's hard for me to go back and re-read the same book and glean any new information, because I tend to sort of glaze over. The Preplogic guide has helped snap things back into my mind that I remember .

i feel the exact same way
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    I have always paid a dollar for the mega guides.
    There's something called inflation, and now I guess $4 is the new buck...
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Their sales team consists of some of the most dense people in the world. They simply don't give up, even when it's clear there is no chance. Be sure to fill in bogus information if you value sanity.

From time to time I take great pride in taking a call I know to be an obnoxious sales pitch, just to provide a bit of entertainment as I get hopes up and then politely decline after sounding like I'll be a nice sale. Preplogic was my most recent one just the other day. I figured I would entertain them a bit. When he got into discussing what my present plans were, I happened to mention "well my VMware class starts on the 11th". He quickly went into uber-salesman mode with a fury! He was bound and determined to pitch me their VCP-310 material!

I informed the guy that the VCP-310 exam has been retired, but he wasn't having any of that. I was mis-informed, and so was VMware apparently... preplogic clearly is the authority to determine which exams are retired or not. The salesman was such a tool he would not at all budge and insisted I was a spectacular moron for even thinking the VCP-310 was retired as it's the most recent version of "the VMware VCP software" available... and right about there was where I simply had to hang up, my mind couldn't handle it any longer.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    varelg wrote: »
    There's something called inflation, and now I guess $4 is the new buck...

A couple more years and they'll be asking for silver rounds ;)
  • Options
    Okay, now that's just flat out awesome that they can help you prepare for obsolete exams. Do you think they can hook me up with some good study material for Netware 5.11?