Options

what happens to student software if you're not a student?

Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
I am currently a student in a Microsoft academy, and I installed Windows 7 on a pc.... when I cancel being a student, do I get to keep Windows 7? or am i going to have to pay for it now?
Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark

Comments

• Options
    dalesdales Member Posts: 225
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    I am currently a student in a Microsoft academy, and I installed Windows 7 on a pc.... when I cancel being a student, do I get to keep Windows 7? or am i going to have to pay for it now?

It wont disable itself if thats what your concerned about, TBH over here in blighty there is a big electronics chain that regularly advertise studen office editions on the telly. In the old days I used to have to prove I was a student before being sent the keys.
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

Twitter:dscriven
    Blog: vhorizon.co.uk
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□

Disclaimer: Always read the license to determine what the terms of usage are. That being said...

I believe "technically" you are suppose to uninstall the software and no longer use it if you are no longer a student. The same would be if your employer was able to get the Microsoft Home Use Plan/Program - even though you buy the software (Office) with your own money for your own use at home, if you are no longer employed by the company you are suppose to uninstall the program and not use it.

That being said, there is no way for M$ or any other company (Adobe for example) to know "what" your status is (student, employed with company, etc) once you register the software with the activation key.

Now if you try to purchase software at a student discount you usually have to provide proof of being a student (copy of transcripts, student id, etc).
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Depends on the license. Usually nothing, but there is often wording that says you must uninstall the software. I don't think it is something they can really trace, but technically it becomes illegal.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■

Where are you going to go to school now?
  • Options
    i have not withdrawn yet, today is the deciding day... if I do withdraw, I will go to WGU
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    i have not withdrawn yet, today is the deciding day... if I do withdraw, I will go to WGU

Cool! Good luck man
  • Options
    withdrawn.... so... i guess i'll see what happens.... i mean... uhhh, i will unistall it, yes
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    mickeycoronadomickeycoronado Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    withdrawn.... so... i guess i'll see what happens.... i mean... uhhh, i will unistall it, yes

Better be careful man I think those things are designed to burst into flames when they fall into the wrong handsicon_cheers.gif

The worst that can happen is you'll come home one day and see a little green glob on your chair or something.

Did I just attempt to work in a Spinal Tap quote for no reason? God I gotta get back to work...

P.S. Good luck with your new school, hope it goes well for you.
    "Are you suggesting that coconuts are migratory?!"