Options

free / cheap disk imaging software?

brianeaglesfanbrianeaglesfan Member Posts: 130
Can anyone offer any suggestions for a free / cheap disk imaging software that I can use to make backups of my home computers? I'm getting sort of tired of having to restore the OS and then install office / firefox / etc. every month or so due to spyware infestations. Plus it'd come in handy should a HD crash. Thanks!
Complete: MSMIS, MBA, EPIC certified
In progress: CPHIMS, CAPM

Comments

• Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What OS are you running? If you are running Win7, you can just use the built-in tools. I create an image every couple of months and store it on an external HD.
    What kind of A/V are you running? If you keep your A/V updated, you shouldn't have to restore so often.
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    Aronis True Image Home should work for you.

Newegg.com - Acronis True Image Home 2011

It will allow you to make a USB boot drive too instead of having to use CD's.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    FOG is a free tool, but is Linux based.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    uncleantuncleant Member Posts: 4 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    mctwistmctwist Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    uncleant wrote: »

I second clonezilla, we use it at the office, and it works great.
  • Options
    It's a mix of 7 and XP. Thanks for the suggestions, will check them out.
  • Options
    qcomerqcomer Member Posts: 142
    Can anyone offer any suggestions for a free / cheap disk imaging software that I can use to make backups of my home computers? I'm getting sort of tired of having to restore the OS and then install office / firefox / etc. every month or so due to spyware infestations. Plus it'd come in handy should a HD crash. Thanks!

More importantly I would look at what you are doing to get spyware or corruption so often. I havent had spyware in years on my computers.

Backups are always good to have, but I would look into why you are having to reformat "every month or so".

Do you run active AV? Are you visiting questionable sites? Whats going on?
  • Options
    qcomer wrote: »
    More importantly I would look at what you are doing to get spyware or corruption so often. I havent had spyware in years on my computers.

Backups are always good to have, but I would look into why you are having to reformat "every month or so".

Do you run active AV? Are you visiting questionable sites? Whats going on?
    On every computer I have access to I run up-to-date AV and spyware protection. I tend to look at a lot of sites that link to other, not always familiar sites (like message boards, facebook, etc.) and occasionally rogue software does make its way onto one of the pc's / laptops. I use a lot of open source software and it just becomes a PITA to have to reinstall / restore every little thing, hunt for drivers, etc., whenever I run into an infection I can't get rid of. The "every month or so" may be overstating it, but you get the idea.
  • Options
    BrizoHBrizoH Member Posts: 73 ■■■□□□□□□□
    PartImage is another free tool that I've used in the past
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Another vote for Acronis. Whatever you get, if you utilize external HDDs, you MUST get eSata. It is awesome for imaging.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    mctwist wrote: »
    I second clonezilla, we use it at the office, and it works great.
    Same here Clonezilla.

If your HDD or if you have a western Digital HDD, you can go to there website and download the Acronis software for free. The catch is you have to have WD HDD.
    WD Support
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold