Have a few ? about Linux+ if any one can help?

morepowerrmorepowerr Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
CompTIA. web site has side this.

" A new benefit for CompTIA Linux+ Powered by LPI candidates is that they may choose, at the time they take the exams, to have their exam record forwarded to the Linux Professional Institute. Certification in CompTIA Linux+ Powered by LPI enables candidates to become certified in LPIC-1 as well, enabling further participation in the LPI program if the candidate chooses. Please note that CompTIA maintains candidate-confidential records for all exam takers, for their own access and use for employment or educational purposes. Any choice to forward an exam record to LPI is made only by the candidate."

Will I need to register with LPI for a LPI ID before taking this Test. If I wish to get the LPI Certification?

Is the Linux+ based around SUSE Linux? As I have been using Ubuntu for the past 4 years. And need to know if there are any major difference in the two that would be covered in the test.

Thank you all for you time and input.
morepowerr.

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    No, both LPI and Linux+ strive to be as vendor neutral as they can be.

You will see a lot of RedHat type questions, though. So you should make sure you know RPM. I'd just study to the objectives on the given on the CompTIA web site. With 4 years of experience it should be pretty easy for you.
  • morepowerrmorepowerr Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Will look in to RPM packing system.

? still out there. About will I need to register with LPI and have a LPI ID before taking the test to get the LPI along with the Linux+.
  • SouljackerSouljacker Member Posts: 112 ■■■□□□□□□□
    According to the info on CompTIA's site, the option is given to you when you sit for the Linux+ to have the results forwarded to the LPI for the sister certification. I do not believe you have to register with the LPI beforehand.
  • jjfriglejjfrigle Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You don't need to register with LPI to get your LPIC-1 with your Linux+, but if you register with LPI and get your Linux+ / LPIC-1 you can then get your Novell CLA. All you have to do is have your LPIC-1 and have an LPI ID. LPI and NOVELL partnership / Certification / Home - LPI -
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    jjfrigle wrote: »
    You don't need to register with LPI to get your LPIC-1 with your Linux+, but if you register with LPI and get your Linux+ / LPIC-1 you can then get your Novell CLA. All you have to do is have your LPIC-1 and have an LPI ID. LPI and NOVELL partnership / Certification / Home - LPI -

Nice post thanks for the link and information
  • buff3r0vrfl0wbuff3r0vrfl0w Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey Great info, but I am still a little confused.. OK, so if I sit for the comptia linux+ and have my results forwarded to LPI don't I receive an LPI ID? .. which will allow me to register for Novell CLA? .. also when do these exams expire ? (how long are they good for)
  • jjfriglejjfrigle Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Great info, but I am still a little confused.. OK, so if I sit for the comptia linux+ and have my results forwarded to LPI don't I receive an LPI ID? .. which will allow me to register for Novell CLA? .. also when do these exams expire ? (how long are they good for)

That's a great question. I honestly don't know if you get an LPI ID automatically if you have your test results forwarded to LPI when you sit for your Linux+. I did see on LPI's site that they require recertification every 5 years. I would register anyway, just to be safe. 3 certs, for the price of 1 is crazy!