How much subnetting is there in the Net+ exam?

I3astardsI3astards Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
Please give example questions too!

Do you get to use a calculator or is there an on-screen one? Any other comments about the subnetting section of the exam is welcome! Cheers

Comments

• PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There is an on-screen calculator you can use.
    As far as subnetting, you should know the basics. You may see a question asking what
    192.168.10.100/24 is. The /24 would be 255.255.255.0
    192.168.10.100/18. the /18 would be 255.255.192.0.

You will more likely be asked to identify a specific address, what class it is

One of the best ways is to look at the exam objectives and make sure you are solid on what they are asking.
  • I3astardsI3astards Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Psoasman wrote: »
    There is an on-screen calculator you can use.
    As far as subnetting, you should know the basics. You may see a question asking what
    192.168.10.100/24 is. The /24 would be 255.255.255.0
    192.168.10.100/18. the /18 would be 255.255.192.0.

You will more likely be asked to identify a specific address, what class it is

One of the best ways is to look at the exam objectives and make sure you are solid on what they are asking.

Cool, Ive been doing LOADS of subnetting so I should be alrite with it. Do you need to show working out OR is it just multiple choice (just pick the right answer).
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I took the exam in 2007, so the material may have changed. I would be more concerned with recognizing the different addresses that may be shown.
  • SouljackerSouljacker Member Posts: 112 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree - I took the test last month and didn't get one question on actual subnetting. Honestly - I believe that the subnetting you are thinking of is outside of the scope of the Net+ exam. I used an Exam cram book, Mike Meyers video training and I leafed through some books a colleague had and none of them covered subnetting in any serious detail beyond "What is a /24 in binary and dotted decimal notation".

Honestly if you have a grasp on how to do it (which it sounds like you do), you will be fine with that part and probably have overstudied a bit.
  • PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    Souljacker wrote: »
    I agree - I took the test last month and didn't get one question on actual subnetting. Honestly - I believe that the subnetting you are thinking of is outside of the scope of the Net+ exam. I used an Exam cram book, Mike Meyers video training and I leafed through some books a colleague had and none of them covered subnetting in any serious detail beyond "What is a /24 in binary and dotted decimal notation".

Honestly if you have a grasp on how to do it (which it sounds like you do), you will be fine with that part and probably have overstudied a bit.

/ agree
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Can't really answer this very directly. But you should know your subnetting. It takes some time to get down and understand, but once you got it you will laugh when you see a question. Not to mention that subnetting will likely show up on future exams for you as well. Might as well understand it now.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    i never bothered using the caluclator but had maybe 3 questions tops.
    make sure you get it down if you ever want to work in networking.
    check out the thread in the CCNA forums called "Subnetting Made Easy". you'll thank me.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree