Help with this command

gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
I am doing the ips lab i have the database + crypto key but this command ip ips config location flash:ipsdir

doesnt work i mean after the ips the keyword config doesnt appear i tried with all the ios i have (using gns3) according with cisco that command works since version 12.4(11) i have (C3745-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 12.4( 18 ) for example but doesnt appear any idea?
how did you did this lab for the people who already did the exam???

Comments

• gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
    gouki2005 wrote: »
    I am doing the ips lab i have the database + crypto key but this command ip ips config location flash:ipsdir

doesnt work i mean after the ips the keyword config doesnt appear i tried with all the ios i have (using gns3) according with cisco that command works since version 12.4(11) i have (C3745-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 12.4( 18 ) for example but doesnt appear any idea?
    how did you did this lab for the people who already did the exam???

found an ios who have this command (C2691-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(15)T6, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

can you explain the difference between those 2 IOS??? the C3745 the version is higher and doesnt have the command why? i thought all the K9 ios are for security.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    according with cisco that command works since version 12.4(11) i have (C3745-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 12.4( 18 ) for example but doesnt appear any idea?

Cisco IOS Security Command Reference - ip inspect through ip security strip [Support] - Cisco Systems

According to the documentation, the command was introduced in IOS 12.4(11)T
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Cisco IOS Security Command Reference - ip inspect through ip security strip [Support] - Cisco Systems

According to the documentation, the command was introduced in IOS 12.4(11)T
    T???? so is not just the number i must learn how to differentiate ios version not just pick a ios for the name
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    T???? so is not just the number i must learn how to differentiate ios version not just pick a ios for the name
    The feature set, version number and release train letters are all important.

The main letters you'll see for these small routers are:

No letter or M = Mainline = The stable branch of IOS
    T = Technology = The development/new features branch of IOS
    X = Special build = Don't use this unless you're told specifically to use it. Its not supported past that specific version and it may have odd bugs.

When the first x.0 IOS of a new version is released, they clone it into two branches. The Mainline branch in theory only ever gets bugfixes and you use this if you can since it should be more stable. The Technology branch is where they add all the new features and support for new hardware so it may experience some unusual bugs. Eventually the latest Technology release becomes the first x.0 release of the new major/minor version of IOS.