Cisco Academy worth it?

binaryhatbinaryhat Member Posts: 129
Hello,

I just signed up for CCNA part 1 class a local community college. Is it worth it? I would rather read Lammle's book and buy my own hardware.

Isn't CompTia Network+ equivalent or close to CCNA part 1 class? I feel like this class is just reinforcing the stuff I know. My instructor seems a little flacky...She could not even remember the name of the gov't agency that started the Internet, DARPA (if she said Al Gore then I would know she didn't know jack). She also said HTML is a protocol...and yes she reads from the Cisco supplied slides.

So whats the verdict?
Currently working on:
ICND1 - TBD
Book: CCENT/CCNA ICND1 100-101 Official Cert Guide
Equipment: Packet Tracer, GNS3
Supplement Material: Youtube, Google, Boson ExamSim-Max, CBTNuggets

Comments

• gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    There are a number of things that make it worth it for me: access to the lab, access to packet tracer & netacad curriculum, access to the netlab setup, the credits earned towards my A.A.S. and bachelors.

The lectures could be better but my instructor knows his stuff - but he has even slipped up a couple times -all instructors do.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My experience with the academy was phenomenal. My professor ate, drank, and slept Cisco. Packet tracer is a time and life saver for labbing. Being able to just download exercises is extremely convenient.
  • jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    I went through the Academy and learned so much. After finishing the course I just did a quick once over of the material and smashed both ICND1 and ICND2.

Back then I don't think I would have had the dicipline to go through the CCNA totally by self-study, its a lot of new concepts. But now with the fundamentals down its self study all the way.
  • tomaifauchaitomaifauchai Member Posts: 301 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jovan88 wrote: »
    I went through the Academy and learned so much. After finishing the course I just did a quick once over of the material and smashed both ICND1 and ICND2.

Back then I don't think I would have had the dicipline to go through the CCNA totally by self-study, its a lot of new concepts. But now with the fundamentals down its self study all the way.

I totally agree with you and i think the same thing.
    I think the academy worth the enrollement because ccna is so vast. I'm glad i did it and it helped me a lot when passing my certs.

You have a teacher to help you out and some mates in the classroom. But the best thing is the packet tracer labs. For an entry-level engineer, it's awesome.

To get the Voucher, you need to pass every semester final online exam at 75% or more. The discount i got was 50%.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Another +1.

I would never have otherwise gotten access to racks of 2811 routers and 2960 and 3550 switches.