Options

Suggest something new for me to read...

dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
I am looking for a good to book to read. I like sci-fi, fantasy, and related books. Currently I am reading Cryptonomicon (been "reading" it for 5 years and have finally decided to finish it). Some of my favorite books include 1984, Brave New World, Fahrenheit 451, Dune, LoTR, The Hobbit, Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy, etc...

So, based on that, what can you recommend?
Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow

Comments

• Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    hmm things I've read that come to mind when reading that list -- Stephen King's Gunslinger series? A clockwork orange? catch-22? naked-lunch? slaughterhouse 5? the martian chronicles?
  • Options
    thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    If you like Scifi, I would recommend The Mistborn Trilogy.
    I was not a book reader at all because I thought it was boring since there is not picture and stuff. But for some reason my co-workers had convinced me to read the first book, and I got hooked. Since then I have been searching for some really good Scifi/fiction books.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • Options
    PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    Personally I read more paranormal stuff. Im into Kim Harrison and the like. I just got into the Zodiac series by Vickie Pettersson, very good. For fantasy, i drilled through the entire Shannara series by Terry Brooks. Its fairly massive, the first book dating back to the late 70s The Sword of Shannara. Total there's roughly 14 in the direct shannara series, then another 3ish that follow surrounding characters and elaborate even further on the story.

For just fiction, the Women's Murder Club series from James Patterson is a good series. 9ish books there. I also like Clive Cussler, he has a very intense obsession with old cars and nautical based stories. Dirk Pitt is a great character in those.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Something to pick up while you're pondering the thicker tomes: The Road to Mars.

It's a fairly quick read, but it's highly entertaining. Written by Eric Idle, it follows an android (that's modeled to look like David Bowie) who travels with a pair of comedians on tour around the solar system in hopes of getting a gig in the entertainment-mecca of the future: Mars. If you're into Terry Pratchett or Doug Adams, you'll most likely find this book quite funny.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Two suggestions:

Starships Troopers by Robert Heinlein

Amazon.com: Starship Troopers (978044178358icon_cool.gif: Robert A. Heinlein: Books

and

Stranger in a Strange Land also by Robert Heinlein

Amazon.com: Stranger in a Strange Land (9780441788385): Robert A. Heinlein: Books

Both are awesome books and pretty quick reads.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    Interesting suggestions... I've read Starship Troopers, the first book in the Gunslinger seres, and Catch-22... But none of the others. I'll have to pick up Stranger in a Strange Land - I love Heinlein! I've started Slaughterhouse 5, but find Vonnegut's writing a little hard to get into (same with William Gibson) - but I'll finish it (and Neuromancer) eventually.

And just for further info, I've read these too:
    The Sword of Truth Series
    A Song of Ice and Fire
    The Wheel of Time Series
    Almost every Star Wars book
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    mickeycoronadomickeycoronado Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you want a quick enjoyable read some evening check out "The Curse of Lono" and "The Rum Diaries". You can finish each in a night or two and they're good little novels.
    "Are you suggesting that coconuts are migratory?!"
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    dmoore44 wrote: »
    I am looking for a good to book to read. I like sci-fi, fantasy, and related books. Currently I am reading Cryptonomicon (been "reading" it for 5 years and have finally decided to finish it). Some of my favorite books include 1984, Brave New World, Fahrenheit 451, Dune, LoTR, The Hobbit, Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy, etc...

So, based on that, what can you recommend?

Check out Barry Eisler (Ice-lur):

The Rain Series is great, but he has written a couple afterward that are good too!

"Rain Fall" - Very Good
    "Hard Rain" - One of my favorite
    "Rain Storm" - Good
    "Killing Rain" - Good
    "The Last Assassin" - Good
    "Requiem for an Assassin" - Good

Then he also has:
    "Fault Line" and "Inside Out" both very good
    BARRY EISLER: The Official Website
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Last non-text book I read was Halo: Fall of Reach a few years ago, and I actually enjoyed it (Halo fan, BTW icon_cool.gif )

Anyway, they have the First 3 books at amazon for $16 if you're interested.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I hardly read any fiction, even less science fiction, so I have little to compare to, but last year I read a couple of books by John Scalzi which I enjoyed:

Books by John Scalzi Whatever
  • Options
    BeachBeach Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am a fan of the author Vince Flynn.
    He writes some decent political/CIA books.
  • Options
    noobsrevengenoobsrevenge Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Surely not everyone is reading for certs all the time.

Any good nerdy books for recreation you guys can recommend?

Something like:
    Digital Fortress by Dan Brown
    Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson
    Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which was rather comical at how outdated it is, but interesting nonetheless

Help me find another icon_study.gif Thanks.
  • Options
    mattlee09mattlee09 Member Posts: 205
    I haven't gotten around to it yet, but Zero Day by Mark Russinovich

Nothing but tech stuff for me lately, and probably for the next foreseeable year or two. I've even managed to avoid playing games/Diablo 3 entirely so far.
  • Options
    quinnyflyquinnyfly Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Having all those security certs you have, perhaps you have already read:

The Kevin Mitnick series: The Art of Intrusion/Deception, Ghost in the Wires.

I have recently purchased Liars and Outliars and Scheiner on Security (Bruce Schneier)
    and
    Security 2020 (Howard Prince).

These are my supplementals for now, however as we all know, when you are studying for other certs, it is difficult to find the time for this kind of material. I find a good movie with the Mrs sees me relax my mind to mentally unwind for the next day.
    The Wings of Technology
  • Options
    wellnowwhatwellnowwhat Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Have you read "Ender's Game"? If not, it is a sci-fi staple

I also recommend "We" by Zamyatin. It's an early dystopian sci-fi novel. It's very beautiful and well done.
  • Options
    Oh yea, I had forgot about Enders Game. I did read the first book a long time ago and loved it, if I remember right that is a series of like 5 or so books, I will have to get back into that!

Also thanks for the Kevin Mitnick suggestion, I had heard of those books but never looked into it, finally checked the description out on Amazon and it does look very interesting indeed ! Between certs and these books I will be busy for a while. :D Thanks.
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Tad Williams is pretty good, if you like dictionary-thick books.

The 'Memory, Sorrow and Thorn' trilogy is good fantasy. Pretty dark too.
    and the 'Otherland' series is somewhat sci-fi'y.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    Cool, I love the fantasy genre as well, I looked that up, looks like its right up my alley!

Currently my favorite fantasy author is RA Salvatore, I have read probably 15 books by him (Drizzt series, The Cleric Quintet) they are really good, but I look forward to checkin out Tad Williams. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just be warned; Williams is a LOT different than Salvatore. I've got a handful of the drizzt/dark elf series (where they grouped his story into a single long series), and they seem to be much more 'light reading'. Williams is much heavier, but I find the more I read, the more my tastes swing in that direction (although I still find the Game of Thrones book series TOO heavy somehow)

There's always the Wheel of Time series. Hopefully you've already read that though *suspicious glare*
    Sword of Truth series started off well, but got WAAAY too preachy later on, and most of the later books ended with a deus ex machina.
    The Dune series is still one of my favorites. I haven't even read them all though.
    Lately I've read the old Foundation series. Interesting stuff from Asimov. I never really got into the classics before.
    Piers Anthony has a couple series that are good VERY light reading - the Incarnations of Immortality and the Apprentice Adept series are both ok. I really can't stand any of his Xanth novels anymore though.
    I'm a big fan of Raymond Feist, although as his series draws on, the conflicts are starting to get ridiculous (more powerful good guys means the next series has to have ever-more powerful bad guys)

Oh! My big thumbs-up will go to the Death Gate cycle by Weis/Hickman. Fairly light reading, but still my all-time favorite.

I could go on all day :)
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    longhorn79longhorn79 Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The Dresden Files is a series of contemporary fantasy/mystery novels written by Jim Butcher
    2012/2013 Certification Goals:
    ICND1: Work in progress
    ICND2: depends on ICND1
    70-640 AD: if I have time
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    My gf keeps telling me '50 shades of grey' is a good book lol

I would check out any book by Max Barry, my all time favorite author (Jennifer Government is awesome, pretty cool concept as well)