Options

Please help me learn.

mickeycoronadomickeycoronado Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
Alright guys, hit me with it. I need help absorbing material. I know pretty much everybody here started with having to learn the stuff I'm learning now, so how did you get your mind productive to take it all in? I seem to have a bi-polar learning thing going. Sometimes I can go balls to the wall and it just clicks, but other times I can read a page and literally forget everything when I get to the next.

I've tried eliminating as many distractions as possible, cleaned my house, fed the cats, put the girlfriend to bed etc. but I've hit a wall. How do you prepare your mind book absorption? Somebody mentioned meditation in the "daily page count" thread which seems interesting, but that will take some time to get disciplined in I think.

I have a chapter to read and then labs to do followed by the chapter test. All due by midnight tomorrow. I'm pulling perfect grades so far, should I just wing it?

Edit: Bizarre suggestions accepted.
"Are you suggesting that coconuts are migratory?!"

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Alright guys, hit me with it. I need help absorbing material. I know pretty much everybody here started with having to learn the stuff I'm learning now, so how did you get your mind productive to take it all in? I seem to have a bi-polar learning thing going. Sometimes I can go balls to the wall and it just clicks, but other times I can read a page and literally forget everything when I get to the next.

I've tried eliminating as many distractions as possible, cleaned my house, fed the cats, put the girlfriend to bed etc. but I've hit a wall. How do you prepare your mind book absorption? Somebody mentioned meditation in the "daily page count" thread which seems interesting, but that will take some time to get disciplined in I think.

I have a chapter to read and then labs to do followed by the chapter test. All due by midnight tomorrow. I'm pulling perfect grades so far, should I just wing it?

Pick your parents.

No serious a lot of it is genetics. In other words you are who you are. Now that doesn't mean quit, but if you are the type that needs a lot of time off or you are hit or miss with studying then I suggest you accept that and plan accordingly.

Writing out your goals is a very big thing. Motivational speakers like Anthony Robbins and Brian Tracy really bring that up a lot. I suggest you do the same. And always look at them and set dates or milesstones. Not just, "I am taking the test this date". I mean I am going to learn this chapter by this date. Break it down a little more. I think you'll find yourself finding better results. Remember everything you need is right there.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

I find note taking, repetition and returning to topics regularly quite helpful. Also daily study, a bit of variety once in a while and small achievable goals. The study hours counter in my signature works as a motivator. The other thing is a long term approach. This is helpful as some aspects of my study will take time to learn throughly as I need to keep working at them until they click. The final things is my philosophy that this is what I do, have done for years and will do for many years to come. Becoming a craftsman takes years, becoming a Master Craftsman takes longer, so what's the rush? Ten years down the line I will still be a networking professional. Stops me going nuts.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Perhaps you need more repetition. I will usually read through a book around 3x.
    First time: just read it, As much as is comfortable, you might try 15 minutes at a time.
    Second time: read it again, taking notes. I actually write them out, sticks better in my mind this way.
    Third time: read it again, highlighting important points.

this might seem like overkill, but it works for me.

You might also break up the reading with some labbing or watch a video.
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Perhaps you need more repetition. I will usually read through a book around 3x.
    First time: just read it, As much as is comfortable, you might try 15 minutes at a time.
    Second time: read it again, taking notes. I actually write them out, sticks better in my mind this way.
    Third time: read it again, highlighting important points.

this might seem like overkill, but it works for me.

You might also break up the reading with some labbing or watch a video.

That's my strategy as well, I do write it (on papers) and also I store my notes in an electronic format by this I can always get back to my note when I'm working, in the bus, just relaxing in the evening ..etc
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□

Sounds like you're not conditioned for studying; you read the dry text but the information doesn't register. When the pressure's off check out those self-help guys, Tony Robbins, Lou Tice, Stephen Covey and learn about affirmations, setting goals, why we do what we do and of course, conditioning the mind for success.

In the mean time, just suck it up. Get off TE and do what you have to do to meet your deadline.

And don't wing it; that's for schmucks who think they can coast through life with minimum effort.
  • Options
    thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    The way I study is like this:
    I use at least two different books, then the first book a read I always make sure that I understand the material; if I don't understand it, I reread it again. If the material is still not going to my head, I always make a thread and ask TE forum guys. For some reason, I can't move on to the next page without a proper understanding of my studies. Once I finish the first book, I move to the second book. At this point I have a better understanding reading the course material.

Of course, there are so many distraction, especially computers. So sometimes I go Borders, order me a cup of the cheapest coffee they have, and study there.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • Options
    krauserkrauser Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thehourman wrote: »
    Of course, there are so many distraction, especially computers. So sometimes I go Borders, order me a cup of the cheapest coffee they have, and study there.

You could also use the library.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    How about audio learning as well? Have the girlfriend record a chapter or two, burn it to mp3. Then you can listen to that on the way to work, etc.
  • Options
    ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    I do video courses first and take notes. Each day breezing over the notes ive previously taken.

Then I will read a book, or take another video course.

I use PrepLogic and they give pretty nice practice exams I do some practice tests find my weak points and re-study those weak points through my notes, videos, chapters in the book.

For me I find ANYTHING hands on I can do helps the most (Labs, writing things down). So for me taking notes is very helpful if I hand-write them and quiz myself.

After I read through my notes I try to "explain" the topics to myself w/o looking at the notes....I speak out loud doing this in a lecturing fashion.

Anyway everyone is different, but this works for me....I really don't find just sitting down and reading to be very effective for me.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • Options
    thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    krauser wrote: »
    You could also use the library.
    I did that before, but bringing drinks to the public library here in MD is prohibited.
    And if leave to take a drink when I get back my sit is gone. That is why I go to Borders. If the library would just let me bring a cup of coffee or something it would be a perfect place to study.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I study in a particular seat in my house, on the couch, with a cup of coffee, or hot tea, or hot chocolate, pandora on at a very low volume. And I read every single page. Usually no more than 2 chapters in one day.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    The best way for you to get your studying done is to do it now. Stop thinking. Stop worrying. Stop hoping (dreaming about the future). Do it now. Right now. Your mind is a tool to be used by you. You are not your mind. If you accept this on more than an intellectual level amazing things can happen!
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    When studying for IT courses or certs, I find it really helpful to learn by doing. I only read PDFs so I can have my lab running in the background or even right next to the text on a wide-screen monitor (or multi-monitor setup). I can read and lab simultaneously, or at least follow along in the lab environment. This ensures there isn't much to forget when it's time to do a formal lab, since I have already done some or even all of it.

For text that is pure theory, I will just suck it up and read through it. I don't usually think it's important to memorize this stuff, or even fully understand it on the first read. Doing the labs is typically where it comes together for me, and during or after labs I will often go back and re-read the theory to get the full understanding. Once you have implemented something, or at least understand the usefulness (or sometimes the lack thereof :D) of it, the theory behind it is easier to digest.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□

I would say this is a personal journey that everyone on this forum embarks upon at least once. You need to find out what works for you and what doesn’t. For the Comptia exams I asked the TE members for suggested material for each certification I was challenging and I asked them for advice. I think this is your best starting point.
    Here’s what I do:
    Consult TE forum for advice on specific certifications…ex suggested reading and resource materials.
    Download objectives for said exam
    Read book one, and then book two. I try to complete a CBT course, usually from lab sim.
    The 2nd book is usually Exam Cram, I love their books.
    Then I use measureup and take practice exams and try to get a score of 90% on 100 questions. Then my goal is 90-80% on 200 questions. After this I get a majority of the questions correct I feel confident, then I will schedule the exam 4 weeks out.
    Few suggestions:
    • Write your notes in your own words and you will be able to remember the material better.
    • Try explaining what you are studying to someone, even your girlfriend. This will help you better understand the material you are studying.
    • Trying using cornel notes
    • Take at least a 10 minute mental break for every hour of studying you do.
    • Try using note cards and steno pads for remembering things.
    Walmart.com: Electronics: Home Office: Office Supplies: Notebooks
    • Good Luck!!
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    mickeycoronadomickeycoronado Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow, I sure get lucky in the response department with you guys. I wish I could reply to and address everybody's suggestions because I appreciate them all, but I think that would just annoy everybody in the long run?

But in a nutshell I have; Motivational speakers (which my girlfriend just happens to have a collection of works), NOTES NOTES NOTES, segment my workload out and organize it better (time management), repetition, suck it up and get of TE (I like that one because I do ***** a lot and hang around here too much), consult different material for each topic, an outside place to study, coffee (yay), audio learning (Interesting suggestions, made me laugh cause I thought about George Costanza when he wanted to get out of reading a book for work and when he got the audio version it sounded just like him), video courses and labs (I signed up with ACM and started playing with their lessons last week), a set place to study at home, stop analyzing the situation and just get to it, hands on experience, consult TE for advice on specific topics and how to approach them, aim for a percentage goal for tests, and finally explain my material to somebody (probably my cat Freddie Mercury, or Sweet Lady...the only ones who would listen).

Wow if that poorly presented rundown I just typed doesn't turn people away from a thread then I don't know what will. Thank you very much for your help guys. Just reading all your responses seems to motivate me. You even got me motivated in my Command Line class which I am doing awesome in now. Tomorrow I'm going to sit down and lay out a plan. A big thing that I think is holding me back is that lack of hands on stuff. I read all these things and I just wish I could get my hands dirty instead of simulating them. But I guess I need to make the best out of what I have. But I am definitely going to keep seeking out extra material to supplement my school stuff. I'll search around the threads for ideas.

You guys rock, thanks for your time as always! Speaking of time that's another 15 minutes I just spent that I could have been reading. Ok I'm getting out of here before this somehow turns into a political debate, which seems to happen a lot.icon_scratch.gif

-MickeyC
    "Are you suggesting that coconuts are migratory?!"
  • Options
    GamingCrazyGamingCrazy Member Posts: 113
    A very interesting thread that helped me out too! Maybe sticky material? Who knows.

Thanks for asking that question, and thank you all for your responses.

I feel others will gain from this thread!

icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    My favorite writer - Piers Anthony - once had something to say about potential writers. He said they'd write to him asking how they could be motivated to start writing. He told them they didn't have the motivation to write yet because they simply didn't want to write. I think what he meant is that talking about wanting to do something isn't the same as actually doing it. :D
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.