Options

Any issues using serial port on Windows 7 box to connect to Cisco switch?

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
Greetings, I'm trying to connect to a Cisco 2900 Series Switch from a Windows 7 Pro box via serial to rj-45, using Putty and not able to connect.

I found this video via youtube and did everything he did and I'm not able to connect.

YouTube - Using Putty for Connecting to Cisco Devices

I noticed that Windows defaults to com1 and I changed that to com3 like the example and it still isn't working.

When using Google noticed a few threads saying that legacy hardware, like the serial port is going the way of the dinosaur...so with that being said was wondering if anyone has an issue like this and if they were able to work thru it or should I just get usb to rj-45 cable?

thanks
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    JockVSJock wrote: »
    I noticed that Windows defaults to com1 and I changed that to com3 like the example and it still isn't working.
    You have to use the com port number assigned by your OS i.e. COM1.
    When using Google noticed a few threads saying that legacy hardware, like the serial port is going the way of the dinosaur...
    Legacy ports like RS232 serial are no longer part of the integrated motherboard hardware any more. Legacy RS232 hardware is still supported by Windows and every other major OS.

If you want RS232 serial on a machine that doesn't come with it built in then you have to use a USB serial adapter or buy a RS232 serial expansion card to fit into your computer. USB serial adapters will generally require a driver but not all of them do.
    so with that being said was wondering if anyone has an issue like this and if they were able to work thru it or should I just get usb to rj-45 cable?
    Works fine.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Does your machine have a built in serial port?

What specific cable are you using to go from the serial port to the console port on the switch?

You sure that the switch console port actually works?

Got to ask but you are plugging this cable into the console port?
  • Options
    TheSuperRuskiTheSuperRuski Member Posts: 240
    I had to use the usb to serial cable to dial into a router from Windows 7 but that was because my laptop doesn't have the serial port on it. It required a driver download as tiersten said. You also you have to find the right COM port you are plugging into. I use tera term and by default it uses COM port 1. The one that worked for me was COM 12. I would go down the list of available connections and test them all.
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

• Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I had to use the usb to serial cable to dial into a router from Windows 7 but that was because my laptop doesn't have the serial port on it. It required a driver download as tiersten said. You also you have to find the right COM port you are plugging into. I use tera term and by default it uses COM port 1. The one that worked for me was COM 12. I would go down the list of available connections and test them all.

If you look in the device manager, it'll tell you which port number it's using.
  • Options
    Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    It works fine with windows 7, I am no Cisco guy and as a result the most common mistake I make is configuring the terminal sessions wrong so check that maybe.

Applying Correct Terminal Emulator Settings for Console Connections [Asynchronous Connections] - Cisco Systems
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    Does your machine have a built in serial port?

Yes, shows up under Device Manager as com1. I've also tried com3 and still didn't work.
    What specific cable are you using to go from the serial port to the console port on the switch?

Cable is a serial to rj-45 cable.

You sure that the switch console port actually works?

I'll try my 12 port switch.
    Got to ask but you are plugging this cable into the console port?

I've tried both the console port and a few of the ports on front of the switch and no dice.

I've also tried connecting to the 12 port switch using both com1 and com3 and still not able to connect.

Keep getting the following error
    unable to open connection to 
    COM1 
    Unable to open serial port 

***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    Ok, I'm not a Windows 7 expert, however I was able to get connection to my Cisco Switch via a Linux Live Disk (Knoppix) and Minicom. Ran the live disk from the Win 7 box.

Not sure where the issue is with Windows, however Linux has saved the day again.

-unknown