Options

Break from tech

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
I woke up two days in a row with a "wtf" moments. I had a series of dreams the last two nights about OSPF. I don't remember details other than I was just configuring it over and over again. *shudder*

I was planning on rushing Server+ this month as a requirement for my job. But I have decided to take the rest of the month off tech and find a non-computer hobby before I go more crazy! Probably gonna sign up for Tae Kwon Do and the community college and join the wife in a cake decorating class.

*shudder*
TOO MUCH TECH
-Daniel

Comments

• Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yep, we all need to take a step back sometimes and/or find a hobby elsewhere. For example, I've just spent two days with the missus gardening - In the cold and rain in the UK - but I loved it and it took my mind of anything work related. Last week I woke up at a silly hour after dreaming whether I'd included everything for a (non real!) design presentation and knew then it was time for a small step back!

Everyone is different, but I think that as you've obviously put a lot of effort into the ROUTE studies recently (congrats!) a bit of downtime will do you good
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I took up shooting as a hobby to keep my mind free from stress. It's great stress relief for me and overall a great time to be had going out poking holes through paper some afternoons. I started shooting so much that I grew tired of paying the insane costs that a lot of the calibers I shoot cost and got into reloading as well. Reloading is another great addition to my hobbies because not only does it save me cash (well not really, but it allows me to shoot more at least) but it's also very therapeutic... hard to beat sitting down in your own zone reloading some brass.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    I'm thinking if getting a new hobby my self

Maybe woodworking

To much tech causes burn out
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I had a dream Friday night, cant remember too much of it except that I was fixing some file security permissions and was mumbling something in my sleep. It startled my missus and she goes enough's enough, you got to do something to take your mind off IT. So I took to gardening myself. The nature strip outside my house and overgrown grass, mowed that all down. Then I had weeds growing all over the sideyard and backyard, sprayed weedkiller and am going to wait for a few more days before uprooting them. Definitely feel better after all the work, maybe it's time for the gym again.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I took up shooting as a hobby to keep my mind free from stress. It's great stress relief for me and overall a great time to be had going out poking holes through paper some afternoons. I started shooting so much that I grew tired of paying the insane costs that a lot of the calibers I shoot cost and got into reloading as well. Reloading is another great addition to my hobbies because not only does it save me cash (well not really, but it allows me to shoot more at least) but it's also very therapeutic... hard to beat sitting down in your own zone reloading some brass.

Get yourself a .22, can shoot that sucker for a long time on very little money. Although reloading is a pretty good skill to have, don't have that kind of money to invest in it up front.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think it depends on the level of reloading involved. Jumping right in with a progressive press certainly has a relatively high up-front cost. However, a single-stage is cheap, although crafting new ammo takes longer. On the other hand, perhaps a single-stage allows each round to feel more special because they're all "individually wrapped."
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Boy I can relate to that. When I was in the military, I worked in a AF Special Security Office comm center. After about a year, I started dreaming in classified. Walked in the next day, told the boss I need to schedule leave ASAP. When he asked why, I explained it. Got approved to leave the next week.

For me, its reading something different, or grabbing one of my cameras and going out for a hike and shooting some scenery along the way.
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    Get yourself a .22, can shoot that sucker for a long time on very little money. Although reloading is a pretty good skill to have, don't have that kind of money to invest in it up front.

I blow through a ton of .22lr, most of it through my CMMG .22lr conversion for my AR-15. I pickup the Federal bulk packs once or twice a week if I'm out and about with around 36k rounds on hand. Definitely great fun for plinking, I shoot a couple other calibers too because I try to keep myself proficient with my handguns too since I do carry and don't want to be one of the tools who carries but doesn't know WTF they're doing if they ever had to use it ;)
    docrice wrote:
    I think it depends on the level of reloading involved. Jumping right in with a progressive press certainly has a relatively high up-front cost. However, a single-stage is cheap, although crafting new ammo takes longer. On the other hand, perhaps a single-stage allows each round to feel more special because they're all "individually wrapped."

Very true, isn't very cost prohibitive to jump into a single stage press and start learning. I do all of my reloading on a Dillon Super 1050 since I prefer to crank them out quicker. It's been a while since I've gone on a reloading spree but I'm gearing up to blow through some more with about 48lbs of 9mm brass and 15lbs of .357 SIG to load so I can get back to the real fun :D
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    We all need a break from IT every once in a while one of my hobbies is playing and collecting video games. It is fun hunting down retro classics at pawn shops and flea markets. :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    We all need a break from IT every once in a while one of my hobbies is playing and collecting video games. It is fun hunting down retro classics at pawn shops and flea markets. :)

I tried similar things, unfortunately when I get burnt out in the IT world it seems to encompass electronics as a whole and I find I need to distance myself from that realm. Getting out camping or just hiking is good fun too. I'd be enjoying camping now and then if my gear was setup for trips out in the winter. Once my finances can accommodate it I may have to invest in some new gear and spend an extended weekend here and there out secluded in the Northwoods of WI free from all gadgets to frustrate me :D
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I got my self a power kite. only a 2.2 meter one and not had chance to take it out much.. but use to love flying kites as a kid, had a few delta stunt kites that where great fun..

once i get a bit more experience I want to do a bit of kite boarding and surfing. think that will be the prefect antidote to TEch :)

And now the little ones sleeping through the night, and we should be in new house by end of Jan, will be time to really get in to it :)
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    I woke up two days in a row with a "wtf" moments. I had a series of dreams the last two nights about OSPF. I don't remember details other than I was just configuring it over and over again. *shudder*

I was planning on rushing Server+ this month as a requirement for my job. But I have decided to take the rest of the month off tech and find a non-computer hobby before I go more crazy! Probably gonna sign up for Tae Kwon Do and the community college and join the wife in a cake decorating class.

*shudder*
    TOO MUCH TECH

More people should follow this path. People only have so much control and when you focus on one thing to much you begin to lose control. You have a boat load of certs, and hopefully the experience that follows suit. Enjoy life take time out of life to spend with your family. That cake class will bring you and your wife together. Those are the important things, not some piece of paper that says you are good at something.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I've really been getting into learning how to read and play this stuff:

P00381-sheet-music.jpg
  • Options
    mickeycoronadomickeycoronado Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Daniel333 wrote: »

*shudder*
    TOO MUCH TECH

I don't know how you feel about history and such but you could try joining an online fighter squadron in a simulator like IL-2 Sturmovik. You'd still be in front of a computer but at least you would have more social interactions and build comradery. I dunno, the gun stuff sounds cool as well though.
    "Are you suggesting that coconuts are migratory?!"