Options

CBT nuggets in Linux

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
Hi,

Does any one know how to view CBT nugget videos in linux? (UNBUNTU)

I have linux laptop but having issues being able to watch the CBT nugget videos on it. No MSS2 and ASF codec installed.

I have read about mplayer working but I thought I would ask here if anyone has experience of it before I take days trying to sort it out?

Cheers

Aaron

Oh I know I could convert them but the nice thing about the videos is that they are small because of the MSS2 format. so ideally I would like to keep them in the original format.
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This might work:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

Also you can try VLC media player, there should be a package for it.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think the biggest issue you may have as the link points out is this:

"Avoid formats suppressed by DRM (Digital Rights Management, or Digital Restrictions Management), as they are often unplayable."
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't think CBT Nuggets are DRM'd. I may be wrong, though. Anyway the worst case scenario is to run a Windows VM to watch the videos.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I believe all of their single user dvds are. I don't think their multi user dvds and server devices are. I am not sure about their streaming though...wouldn't think so anyways.
  • Options
    mazebanemazebane Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well i was searching for information on CCENT followed a link to this site and then got the CBT nuggets videos just yesterday and i have in the last 10 minutes managed to play them in Ubuntu 10.10!

You need to go to medibuntu.org follow the repository howto, make sure mplayer and w32codecs get installed and then you are ready.

You have a choice of using the command line or right clicking on the file and then choosing to open the file with an other application, you then need to use the use a custom command option and type in mplayer.

The file will start playing and all you have got to get used to is the keyboard commands for using mplayer.

I hope this works for you like it did for me :D