Options

Eastern Snow Storm!

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
I'm working from home today! :D

I woke up to snow coming down and South Carolinians claiming that there is a blizzard. As of now we probably have about two inches. Biggest issue for us is not snow, but the drivers who are unaccustomed to driving on snow/ice. None of my coworkers wanted to deal with this and chose to work from home.

Comments

• Options
    MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    Memphis got between 4 and 6 inches. I left the house 2 hours early to beat the procrastinators to the roadways. I may it safely to work an hour before I was suppose to be here.
  • Options
    eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Great...can't wait for it to hit NJ tomorrow.
  • Options
    rwmidlrwmidl Member Posts: 807 ■■■■■■□□□□

I woke up to snow coming down and South Carolinians claiming that there is a blizzard. As of now we probably have about two inches. Biggest issue for us is not snow, but the drivers who are unaccustomed to driving on snow/ice. None of my coworkers wanted to deal with this and chose to work from home.

We just have sleet here in Charleston. Schools are closed and I know the DOT was closing the bridges for a while to sand them down. I'm at the office (luckily it's only a 5-10 minute drive from my house).
    CISSP | CISM | ACSS | ACIS | MCSA:2008 | MCITP:SA | MCSE:Security | MCSA:Security | Security + | MCTS
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    I think we are supposed to get it tonight and tomorrow. Should make things interesting here since we all ready have about 3 inches of snow.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    someehsomeeh Member Posts: 143
    Great!! more freaking snow....
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    We got about 3 inches of snow here but the bad part is that the snow is in between two layers of thin ice. I'm not going to work today and they closed the campus late last night so no class tonight. Some areas close by got double the amount of snow.

Not only does the mix of ice with the snow make it worse but the DOT around here just doesn't have the equipment like they do in the north. They don't get to the side streets at all and it will probably be hours before they make it to some of the state highways.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Got snow here in Arkansas. It's not too bad. Probably around 1 - 2". But there's that sneaky ice under the snow! Took me about 45 minutes to do 5 miles.

I kept away from people who looked a little crazy on the roads.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    tomahawkeertomahawkeer Member Posts: 179
    The dangerous part, isn't the actual snow, but the drivers that have absolutely no clue how to drive in it, and the ones that wont go over 5 miles per hour becasue they don't know how to drive in it. I've driven through blizards where the resulting snow was 2-3 feet, and thats living in West Virginia my entire life, (which isn't known for its snow fall) so I have no idea why people can't just stay home if they can't drive in it!

When I was a kid I used to go into empty parking lots and try to do doughnuts, and slide, do try to do things to lose control of the vehicle, and teach myself, how to recover and NOT to put yourself in that situation. I swear they should teach classes for that crap!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod

You only got two inches?! We have over six here and its still coming down. I'm right at the base of Paris Mountain though so thats probably why. I couldn't even get out of my driveway if I wanted too.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The dangerous part, isn't the actual snow, but the drivers that have absolutely no clue how to drive in it, and the ones that wont go over 5 miles per hour becasue they don't know how to drive in it.

When I was a kid I used to go into empty parking lots and try to do doughnuts, and slide, do try to do things to lose control of the vehicle, and teach myself, how to recover and NOT to put yourself in that situation. I swear they should teach classes for that crap!

I agree with you. There's plenty of people around here that just drive either too slow and cause accidents because the people behind them have to either brake hard, or the people behind them get frustrated and accelerate too fast and end up in a ditch.

I, too did the same as you when I was a kid. Find a parking lot, have some fun and figure out how to control a slide or whatever you encounter. It was fun, but very beneficial I believe.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    Driving in snow is one thing- driving on ice is another!!

There's freezing rain coming down now which is bad the tree branches are starting to get a coating of ice and it's adding another layer of ice to the streets.
  • Options
    The dangerous part, isn't the actual snow, but the drivers that have absolutely no clue how to drive in it, and the ones that wont go over 5 miles per hour becasue they don't know how to drive in it. I've driven through blizards where the resulting snow was 2-3 feet, and thats living in West Virginia my entire life, (which isn't known for its snow fall) so I have no idea why people can't just stay home if they can't drive in it!

West Virginia is so bad about that. We don't get enough snow where people are comfortable driving in it. It seems like people are either timid, or they are the type to drive like total morons. You can't go up a hill in the snow at 5 mph if it's steep. You need a little bit of a run. You however can't drive 80 mph in 4 inches of snow....
  • Options

I still do that for fun....Nothing like keeping my skills sharp.....lol
  • Options
    You only got two inches?! We have over six here and its still coming down. I'm right at the base of Paris Mountain though so thats probably why. I couldn't even get out of my driveway if I wanted too.

Yup. I was surprised we didn't get more. From what I hear tomorrow morning isn't suppose to be good either with freezing rain.

One of my coworkers lives on Paris Mountain.
  • Options
    tomahawkeertomahawkeer Member Posts: 179
    eansdad wrote: »
    I still do that for fun....Nothing like keeping my skills sharp.....lol

Yeah I did that the other day icon_smile.gif I will also take my kids to do that when they are learning to drive, once we have them I should say!
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    My kids got let out early. We're suppose to get 6-11'' by tomorrow.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm here in Atlanta and we got about 3-5" of snow last night. Heard its suppose to rain/sleet tonight as well. Luckily our office was closed, but I am able to still remote into my system to work on any outstanding things I need to take care of
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Right now on the news in NYC, its a shitfest as they are having a all out brawl of a hearing bashing everyone for the blizzard response that happened on the 26th. Ambulances and hospitals stuck and what not. streets not plowed for a week. Horrible. Also, right after the blizzard they bumped up transit prices....smart.icon_twisted.gif
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Right now on the news in NYC, its a shitfest as they are having a all out brawl of a hearing bashing everyone for the blizzard response that happened on the 26th. Ambulances and hospitals stuck and what not. streets not plowed for a week. Horrible. Also, right after the blizzard they bumped up transit prices....smart.icon_twisted.gif

Yeah the parking lots here are a mess and that is just going to get worse with more snow. NY drivers already are retarded but they take it to a whole new level when it snows icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You however can't drive 80 mph in 4 inches of snow....
    Sure you can -- you just may not stop anytime soon (unless you use a ditch). icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Sure you can -- you just may not stop anytime soon (unless you use a ditch). icon_lol.gif
    Let me fix this. You can not drive safely at that speed in that much snow.

Well, unless you are an ice racer with studded tires, but that is far beyond the scope of this discussion. I don't think Jim Bob Billy Jo Jack and his cousin Earl here in WV have that kind of ability in their sweet 1976 Ford F-150 with rust holes. Might I add they also have a nice raccoon tail on the antenna.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Nothing headed for MN, which is a shock. The rain we had the other week knocked down are 40 inch snow pack, so we are down to about 2 feet.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Was out driving in the worst of it, bout 7:15 or so last night. Had to pick the wife up from work. Guy in front of me on the way back is missing a tail light and apparently didn't know how to use his blinker. Luckily I hit a sign and not him, so 160 bucks for a new fender and whatever it's gonna cost to paint. Yay snow.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Freezing rain here, and work is asking us not to come in until 11:30, nice! icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Snow GO AWAY lol. The 10+ inch MD Blizzard last year was enough for me (on top of all the blizzards that went by when I was a kid). Being on I-95 going 2mph with people drifting like its Need for Speed is no fun icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It snowed about 3 in. on the coast of NC where I live, got sleet later on in the afternoon. If it sticks around tomorrow, I'll make some snowmen.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Damn you guys have it cold there, a colleague came back from Florida yesterday. He reckoned it was like 5 degrees C the few days he was there. He's only too happy to come back to warm and sunny 27 degrees here in Melbourne.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod

Actually, it is drivers such as yourself without tolerance for those who do yield to the weather who make it dangerous.

I agree, those too scared to drive, should simply wait until things clear. However, in most areas a 'Posted Speed LIMIT" is the maximum speed for ideal traveling conditions and fog, rain and snow do not make for 'ideal conditions'.

So, ALL drivers need to be considerate of the weather conditions and the possibility of ice, snow and a vehicle that may simply lose control. Help each other out!

I agree...everyone licensed should be trained in parallel parking as well as hazardous condition driving.

Some schools will teach this, but they have limited time to train new drivers so the program is 'ok', but not the best. Some townships I've lived in prohibit this sort of driving in parking lots, so if one has the opportunity, by all means, practice, but some areas will slap the offender with reckless driving, trespassing and other charges. So, proceed in accordance with your own local regulations.

Share the road or share a ride, but be considerate of others and arrive alive.icon_thumright.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Nothing like having to come to work and sit around doing nothing. They tell us to come in because they consider us "essential" only when it snows but not to use school district vehicles to get out to the buildings.
  • Options
    Drove the car today for the first time since Sunday it took forever to get the ice and snow off! The roads weren't bad luckily I live close to work.