Options

1841 router

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have been looking at one of these for a while since I've heard quite a bit about them.

Would a 1841 be good enough to study the CCNA? I know I'll need some switches and possibly another router.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks!
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• Options
    impzimpz Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    a 1841 router is nice but its expensive....well atleast when i was shopping for routers. they have a standard 128MB ram and could support up to 384MB. The flash uses external CF. you prob cud get like 3-4 cheaper routers for the price of one of those 1841
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    1721s are super cheap. So are the 2500 series. 2651XM is a nicer model if you can get one for under $160. How much you looking to spend?
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    I actually just bought the 1841... It wasn't too expensive actually.

I'm looking for at least 2 more routers that will help me get through not only the CCNA, but are expandable for me to use for the CCNP.

I have been looking on various CCNA websites and they recommend 2 routers and 2 switches to get everything running.

How many routers / switches would I need for the CCNP... and what models should I be looking at?
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    I actually just bought the 1841... It wasn't too expensive actually.

I'm looking for at least 2 more routers that will help me get through not only the CCNA, but are expandable for me to use for the CCNP.

I have been looking on various CCNA websites and they recommend 2 routers and 2 switches to get everything running.

How many routers / switches would I need for the CCNP... and what models should I be looking at?

Not too expensive? Must be nice to have deep pockets.

Switches basic for CCNA would be 2950's. You can get 2950T's that would carry over to CCNP. Routers I'd look for 2651XM's.
  • Options
    Not too expensive? Must be nice to have deep pockets.

Switches basic for CCNA would be 2950's. You can get 2950T's that would carry over to CCNP. Routers I'd look for 2651XM's.

I picked it up for $300. Which isn't too bad, I don't think? That's me with no pocket money for the rest of the month though :)
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    I picked it up for $300. Which isn't too bad, I don't think? That's me with no pocket money for the rest of the month though :)
    $300 is ALOT......You could get better models for that price or get a full CCNA lab ( 3 2950's and 4 1721's (max flash and mem) ) for about $200..... thats $100 of pocket money for the month xD

Check this pdf from cisco out :

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routermemory.pdf

If one router is too expensive in ebay, I usually refer to that PDF and lookup on another router.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    An 1841 isn't cheap but you can't directly compare it against something like a 1721 or even a 2600XM as the features it supports are different.

If you've got the cash and you're intending to go past the CCNA for CCNA:S or CCNP then an 1841 is a decent small router for your lab. It has 2 HWIC slots for cards like the ADSL2 HWIC, AP HWIC or GSM HWIC if you ever find one of those for cheap. It has an AIM slot if you ever want to use a VPN AIM. Software wise it will do MPLS, ZBF and IPS which the 1721s won't. MPLS needs an old 12.3 for the 2600XM. The only things it is really lacking is voice support and a NM slot.

I actually used a 1841 to handle my home internet connection for a while until I upgraded to FTTC which required a faster router. An ASA5510 was connected to it in transparent mode to handle firewall and IPS duties.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    impz wrote: »
    $300 is ALOT......

Not for an 1841. Actually it is a very good price.

cisco 1841 - Google Search
  • Options
    When I say that $300 is alot, I don't mean that paying $300 for a 1841 is expensive nor am I comparing it to a 1721. What I mean is the question "what is my next best foregone alternative aka opportunity cost of paying $300 for that 1841" Sure, I could have spent $300 on a 1841 but I could have spend that on a full CCNA lab setup which will retain some of its use should I decide to pursue the CCNP or maybe I could have gotten a router that have around the same features as a 1841 but for a cheaper price.

The prices of cisco hardware in Ebay usually fluctuates due to many factors and frankly, getting the best deals require patience and time thus, in my opinion, it makes sense to grab what is needed now - a CCNA lab and continue to hunt for the more expensive, higher end models for the CCNP while you are studying for the CCNA.

The 1721's right now are dirty cheap and have some value in a CCNP lab but who knows, in a few weeks the prices might drive back up or continue on a downward streak. Similarly, the higher end model routers/switches might cost $x but in a few weeks/months it might drop to $x-y or increase further to $x+u.
  • Options
    I have been looking at the 1721's, but they seem to be quite pricey. What price should I be looking at for one?

Also, I'd prefer something rack mountable, since I don't like clutter and I have just bought myself a 12u rack.

Will the 1721 help with CCNP? After I have completed the CCNA I'm going to jump on over to the CCNP, I'm looking at buying equipment that will help me in both area's.

I understand that the CCNP will require me to have a lot more equipment, but if I get the stepping stones in place and get routers/switches that'll transfer over, then I'll be happy.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    I have been looking at the 1721's, but they seem to be quite pricey. What price should I be looking at for one?

Also, I'd prefer something rack mountable, since I don't like clutter and I have just bought myself a 12u rack.

Will the 1721 help with CCNP? After I have completed the CCNA I'm going to jump on over to the CCNP, I'm looking at buying equipment that will help me in both area's.

I understand that the CCNP will require me to have a lot more equipment, but if I get the stepping stones in place and get routers/switches that'll transfer over, then I'll be happy.

Have you looked at 3745's yet? I just picked one up that has three wic-1dsu-t1 cards for only $205. Memory for it was $20. Good router.
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    impz wrote: »
    When I say that $300 is alot, I don't mean that paying $300 for a 1841 is expensive nor am I comparing it to a 1721. What I mean is the question "what is my next best foregone alternative aka opportunity cost of paying $300 for that 1841" Sure, I could have spent $300 on a 1841 but I could have spend that on a full CCNA lab setup which will retain some of its use should I decide to pursue the CCNP or maybe I could have gotten a router that have around the same features as a 1841 but for a cheaper price.

The prices of cisco hardware in Ebay usually fluctuates due to many factors and frankly, getting the best deals require patience and time thus, in my opinion, it makes sense to grab what is needed now - a CCNA lab and continue to hunt for the more expensive, higher end models for the CCNP while you are studying for the CCNA.

The 1721's right now are dirty cheap and have some value in a CCNP lab but who knows, in a few weeks the prices might drive back up or continue on a downward streak. Similarly, the higher end model routers/switches might cost $x but in a few weeks/months it might drop to $x-y or increase further to $x+u.

The good thing with the 1841s is that they can be used for the CCIE lab study (due to their MPLS support), so rather than having to clear out half the lab, or have lots of unneeded equipment, the 1841s will be useful for a while yet. Yeah the CCIE may be a while away, or they may not even get there, but it covers all bases.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options

Cisco 1721 Router 64MB DRAM and 32MB Flash - eBay (item 120667299934 end time Jan-13-11 12:16:03 PST)

If you look around ebay, you might find some 1721s with a WIC-1T module installed for about the same price as the one shown above. I got my 1721s with WIC-1T and a serial cable for $27 (shipping included). Just make sure you get the 32MB Flash ones. One stick of 64MB ram for these cost around $8 (free shipping)

With regards to its use for CCNP,
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Sure, upgrading your routers is always an option and makes sense when you're planning ahead to more advanced Cisco certifications.

The 2500s are the bargain basement for people trying to spend the least to accomplish the CCNA (and who will worry about the CCNP later). The 1721s are probably the bargain routers for the CCNP -- without being bargain basement models.

The 1721 router's 12.4 Advanced Enterprise IOS or 12.4T Advanced IP Services IOS should work fine for the CCNP (or Dynamips with Dynagen/GNS3). Just remember the key thing is to buy the 1721s with 32Meg of Flash since it's fixed and not upgradable -- and make sure they come with one of the latest versions of the "good IOS images" I mentioned.
  • Options
    Switches basic for CCNA would be 2950's. You can get 2950T's that would carry over to CCNP.

What's the difference between 2950 and a 2950T?
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    I tihnk the 2950T has gigaethernet ports. not sure tho
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648

One difference between the 2950 and 2950T is the software image, the 2950T comes with the enhanced image with QoS capabilities whereas the 2950 just comes with the standard image.
  • Options
    One difference between the 2950 and 2950T is the software image, the 2950T comes with the enhanced image with QoS capabilities whereas the 2950 just comes with the standard image.
    Ah, the QoS wouldn't really come into affect until I start my CCNP studies, correct?
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    Ah, the QoS wouldn't really come into affect until I start my CCNP studies, correct?

Correct.
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Have you looked at 3745's yet? I just picked one up that has three wic-1dsu-t1 cards for only $205. Memory for it was $20. Good router.

Not yet, but I will look into these.

What other routers should I be looking at getting? I already have 2 2950T's.
    CCNP R/S