Options

Need help with a script

amb1s1amb1s1 Member Posts: 408
I have to config 187 routers by march and I would like to see if anybody can help creating an script that would help me do this in a most efficient way. The way I'm doing it is by having a template that most of the config are the same ecept for the loop interface, both primary and backup line, interface for one access point and couple of more configs. Anybody up to this? thanks
David G.
http://gomezd.com <
My Tshoot test Blog
http://twitter.com/ipnet255

Comments

• Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    You're probably not going to find anyone willing to do this for free on this forum. You're essentially requesting a custom script, and that's something you should either contract out, or learn enough to code yourself.
  • Options
    You're probably not going to find anyone willing to do this for free on this forum. You're essentially requesting a custom script, and that's something you should either contract out, or learn enough to code yourself.

I actually prefer just an sample how to do this because at the end I would like to learn how to do this myself. The other day I was looking for a way to do a batch to do different ping and traceroute, I didn't know anything about batch script, but I found a sample and then little by little I create a batch that I was looking for. All the sample that I see online for TCL is about testing and diagnostic, but nothing about configuring multiple routers.

About people doing it for free, well if I knew how to do TCL scripting and if someone here need help I would help them for free and I know must of the people here would do it, but I guess we don't have a lots of people with TCL knowledge here, but I may be wrong.
    David G.
    My Tshoot test Blog
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    a tcl script on one router isnt going to do you much good, as they tend to reside on the router, and you'd need to add it to multiple routers in order to run it, which defeats your purpose - you could have just configured the routers individually.

There isn't any one scripting language to use for this, pick one you like and go to it. I've seen everything from bash shell scripts, to perl scripts, to python, to php, to expect.

I personally tend to use a bash for loop with an expect script, since I find expect the easiest to make log in and run a few commands. There isn't going to be any one size fits all for this kind of thing, because everyone's needs are different. I can't really share any examples of my work, as they were developed on company time, and are property of the company, and it's a major no no to reveal operational details.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have to agree with Forsaken_GA, this sounds too much like work icon_lol.gif

I use Excel to create a tab delimited file of specific router/switch information and a UNIX shell script to create the individual configuration files. The configs get dumped on a TFTP server.

If you like programming Excel Macros, you can do it all within Excel.

If you remember the old days when people sent letters, you can use the mail merge function in Word.

Automating configurations

You can learn about Autoconfiguration on The Cisco Learning Network: https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9872

Cisco has their solution: No Strings Attached: Cisco Live! Session - Auto Config Deployment using Cisco Config Engine | Network World

You might be able to pay to have your vendor do it (or they can pay to have their distributor do it): http://www.crn.com/news/channel-programs/18840487/tech-data-adds-cisco-auto-configuration-service.htm;jsessionid=vs92GrWaNeDth7W-4sGFhg**.ecappj03
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Depending on what you're actually doing on these routers I see a few options.

I agree with mike and forsaken all of their suggestions are good ones and will definitely be a great learning experience for you.

The one windows utility that is fairly inexpensive you can look at it is kiwi cat tools, I manage about 100 remote routers that are in peoples homes. It has been helpful in doing config back ups and updates. I would prefer to use a better solution but I just don't have the time currently to set something up.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I also use the kiwi tools

You could also use the free trial of the solarwinds product, which a lot of NOCs use (although that might not work as there may be some limitations with the trial version)

And there's always the good old copy and paste method. In other words, you config one router and then copy the config into notepad or gedit (linux). Modify the config as needed and paste it into the second router. Then modify it again for the third and so forth

Time consuming, but hey it's free

:)
  • Options
    That was an user on the cisco support forum that help me out with this script. What this script does is create a config output. I'm going to play around to have the script save the output as a .txt file. It would be also if it can look into an excel row and automaticly add the info to the variable. Anybody knows if this is possible, if not with TCL what languange can I use?
    unset config_router1
    unset config_router2

#set string     "hostname loopback G0/0       S0/0      RIP        BGP      next_hop"
    set Router(1) "router1  10.1.1.1    20.1.1.1  30.1.1.2  40.0.0.0 50.1.1.1 60.1.1.1"
    set Router(2) "router2  10.1.2.1    20.1.2.1  30.1.2.2  40.0.0.0 50.1.2.1 60.1.2.1"

for {set i 1} {$i<3} {incr i} {

append config_router$i "hostname [lrange $Router($i) 0 0]\n
                           interface loopback0\n 
                           ip address [lrange $Router($i) 1 1] 255.255.255.255 \n
                           interface gig 0/0\n 
                           ip address [lrange $Router($i) 2 2] 255.255.255.0 \n
                           interface Serial 0/0\n
                           ip address [lrange $Router($i) 3 3] 255.255.255.0 \n
                           router rip\n
                           network [lrange $Router($i) 4 4]\n
                           router bgp 1\n
                           neighbor [lrange $Router($i) 5 5] remote-as 100\n
                           ip route [lrange $Router($i) 6 6] 255.255.255.255 70.1.1.1"

}                      

puts $config_router1
    puts $config_router2

Output will be something like this...

puts $config_router1
    puts $config_router2
    router2  10.1.2.1 20.1.2.1  30.1.2.2 40.0.0.0 50.1.2.1 60.1.2.1
    expect1.311> expect1.312> +> +> +> +> +> +> +> +> +> +> +> +> +> +> +> expect1.313> expect1.314> hostname router1

interface loopback0

ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.255

interface gig 0/0

ip address 20.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

interface Serial 0/0

ip address 30.1.1.2 255.255.255.0

router rip

network 40.0.0.0

router bgp 1

neighbor 50.1.1.1 remote-as 100

ip route 60.1.1.1 255.255.255.255 70.1.1.1
    expect1.315> hostname router2

interface loopback0

ip address 10.1.2.1 255.255.255.255

interface gig 0/0

ip address 20.1.2.1 255.255.255.0

interface Serial 0/0

ip address 30.1.2.2 255.255.255.0

router rip

network 40.0.0.0

router bgp 1

neighbor 50.1.2.1 remote-as 100

ip route 60.1.2.1 255.255.255.255 70.1.1.1

David G.
    My Tshoot test Blog
  • Options
    By the way, all the routers are brand new, no config on it. They are not even out of the box. All 2911 routers.
    David G.
    My Tshoot test Blog
  • Options
    CucumberCucumber Member Posts: 192
    You would need a licensed CRT and Visual Basic script skills to create what you want.
    Here is a little example of a CRT script, this would execute a single ping. Not really useful, unless you start throw some more code into it.

#$language = "VBScript"
    #$interface = "1.0"

Sub WriteToRouter ( CommandLine )
    On Error Resume Next
    crt.Screen.send CommandLine&vBCR
    if err.Number <> 0 then
    On Error Goto 0
    end if
    End Sub

WriteToRouter "ping 10.0.101.224"

I currently have a 134 KB script that reads a CSV input file, with each row having a IP address. The script connects to said IP address, feeds a predefined username and password, and have an empty routine to basically do whatever you want. I am not sure I would want to give it away, it took me a year to write it and debug it.
    I hate pandas
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Cucumber wrote: »
    I currently have a 134 KB script that reads a CSV input file, with each row having a IP address. The script connects to said IP address, feeds a predefined username and password, and have an empty routine to basically do whatever you want.
    Eh? 134KB just to do that? Seems a bit big.

If I was doing this then I'd be doing it under UNIX and it's easy to do with Expect or Perl/Python if you really want it. OpenSSH or regular telnet would handle the actual network portion and just pipe it into that.

There are plenty of snippets available for Perl and Python which show you respectively how to connect to a network device and snippets on waiting for specific output before sending predefined values or calculated values.
  • Options
    CucumberCucumber Member Posts: 192
    tiersten wrote: »
    Eh? 134KB just to do that? Seems a bit big.

Yup it does a couple of fancy stuff. Like spawning several processes for large CSV input files. The input file may have several IP addreses per device, along other flags to alter script behavior (device type, exception passwords, etc). It detects whether VTY or user/pass is asked for. Detects EXEC level and executes "enable" accordingly. It also has several predefined library routines (i.e. to generate and parse inventories, to save command outputs to a file, etc).

EDIT: Oh yeah, and if it cant connect to a device it saves the device in a pending device list, it may try connecting several times, and produces a single log CSV file for further processing.
    I hate pandas
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Cucumber wrote: »
    Yup it does a couple of fancy stuff. Like spawning several processes for large CSV input files. The input file may have several IP addreses per device, along other flags to alter script behavior (device type, exception passwords, etc). It detects whether VTY or user/pass is asked for. Detects EXEC level and executes "enable" accordingly. It also has several predefined library routines (i.e. to generate and parse inventories, to save command outputs to a file, etc).

EDIT: Oh yeah, and if it cant connect to a device it saves the device in a pending device list, it may try connecting several times, and produces a single log CSV file for further processing.
    Ahh okay. I was just wondering as 134K just seemed massive with the basic feature list you gave earlier. If you've got all that extra support stuff and handlers then its understandable. Sounds like a very powerful tool.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I think perl is the best for cisco scripting but I'll admit I'm sort of a noob when it comes to programming. Although I was very good at command line Basic back in the day and I can still write some awesome DOS/Win batch scripts.

The Cisco IOS Cookbook (O'Reilly) has some cool perl scripts for anyone who is interested. Just make sure you grab the 2nd edition - a lot of bookstores have old copies of the 1st edition and you don't want to spend 60 bucks for old (but admittedly still good) material. I think perl works best with the 'nix platforms although some day I might try the Windows port.

Good luck scripting friends
  • Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    Just get another person to open boxes, modify a text file, and cntrl-a, right-click and be done...should take a solid day at most. You'll take more time trying to perfect a script than to just go all old school on it.
  • Options
    daisyteledaisytele Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Actually their is a great excel macro worksheet called CLI template for Cisco 851W/871W standard IOS . works great ...

It's on TechRepublic website. Example below:

service password-encryption
    hostname [Router-Name]
    enable secret [Some-Password]
    enable password [Some-Other-Password]
    aaa new-model
    aaa authentication login default local
    aaa authorization exec default local
    aaa session-id common
    ip http server
    ip http secure-server
    line con 0