Options

Jr. Linux Sys Admin Salary Question...

humbleboyhumbleboy Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
I need some quick input from you guys:

I've been promoted to a Jr. Linux Sys Admin at my company and I'm struggling to figure of if the salary they gave me is acceptible. (I'm going to have to be somewhat vague with the details for confidentiality purposes.) I work for a somewhat large company in Charlotte, NC. I have a college degree in my field along with my A+, Net+, Sec+.

What would everyone consider to be an acceptable salary?

I can't find any solid salary guides online for Jr. Linux Admin. Anyone have any first hand experience?

Comments

• Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    How much are they paying you? I'd say between 34k and 48k, but I'm not familiar with your area.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well, I need more details. If your job is resetting passwords, creating accounts, running backups and reinstalling Ubuntu all day then you are probably gonna make anywhere from 8-12/hr depending on your region.

On the other hand if you'll be working with the LAMP suite, assisting in virtualization projects maybe coordinating vendors to migration a SQL Server to MySQL or something you can expect to make twice that. I have seen a surge in OpenSource routers too.

Share your job description and we might be able to give you some more details? I'd also like to know your experience in networking/infrastructure? You have a couple Comptia certs, but I can assure you they don't amount to much money. They are just stepping stones.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    humbleboyhumbleboy Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Daniel333,

It's sort of in between those extremes. I'd say general sys admin task (backups, some shell scripting, email admin, some automation, anything the services desk can't figure out, etc). I'm not resetting passwords, but I'm not writing volumes of Perl scripts either. I'm sure more money will come, but I just want to know I wasn't lowballed.
  • Options
    sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    humbleboy wrote: »
    Daniel333,

It's sort of in between those extremes. I'd say general sys admin task (backups, some shell scripting, email admin, some automation, anything the services desk can't figure out, etc). I'm not resetting passwords, but I'm not writing volumes of Perl scripts either. I'm sure more money will come, but I just want to know I wasn't lowballed.

But it's more than you were making and this would be your first as a linux admin, correct? If so, you are making out I think. The hands-on experience you will get is worth a lot.. just think of your steps after this place. You don't have to stay there forever.
  • Options
    ipchainipchain Member Posts: 297
    sambuca69 wrote: »
    But it's more than you were making and this would be your first as a linux admin, correct? If so, you are making out I think. The hands-on experience you will get is worth a lot.. just think of your steps after this place. You don't have to stay there forever.

Couldn't agree more with this statement. Even if you were lowballed just put in the time and move on if they are not willing to increase it in the future.
    Every day hurts, the last one kills.
  • Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    One more note, There could be a 100 people lined off who would love your job.

Keep positive always!!!!