Options

Starting a Company

NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
Greetings all,

As many of you know I just finished writing a book (digital edition is due out next week). Based on my experience with writing the book and wanting to helps others by teaching I've decided to start a company. It's called Modular Learning Inc. and it's an IT training company. I will be creating courses that cover certifications, hot topics in IT, sales, and more. Many times you will learn things on the job so you might not need a whole course. I have created each course to be modular allowing each person to only purchase what they want (by purchasing only the modules you need). I have purposely also kept pricing dirt cheap as I don't think learning and educating oneself should cost a fortune!

I have already created a course on kickstart (as this is the most visited and discussed topic on my blog). The next course that will be coming is for the RHCSA and RHCE. Courses come with videos, config files, questions, and labs. If anyone would like to suggest a course or module that they'd like to see...I'm all ears. While the online store isn't open yet the website is live and any feedback is welcome! As always I try to incorporate any advice or suggestions given here on TE.

Modular Learning Inc.

Comments

• Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Wish you all the best of luck with your new venture!

only one thing which am sure your aware of - you need a logo!

:)
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Good luck!

BTW - did you know you have some links that don't work?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah I wish you heaps of luck too. I'll be grateful if once in a while you could post valuable information about any interesting situations you faced and how you dealt with them. I want to be a freelance consultant myself and would love to hear from you. And I like the company name!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Thanks for all the support everyone. I'm still working on a logo although I have a few ideas (see attached pic).

I know a few of the links are broken I am working on changes to the site as we speak. Hoping to have it stable by Tues morning.
  • Options
    ziggi138ziggi138 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Looks good. Good luck.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Keep it simple, build a brand, Build community and maintain quality. Best of luck!
    -Daniel
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Brilliant idea, wish you all the best !

If you need to do a Solaris course let me know, I'd be happy to help you. A Scripting course would be a nice idea :)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    A scripting course is a great idea! I don't know why I didn't think of that. I have a PHP and Python course already laid out. I'll look to add BASH/perl for scripting.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the support everyone. I'm still working on a logo although I have a few ideas (see attached pic).

I know a few of the links are broken I am working on changes to the site as we speak. Hoping to have it stable by Tues morning.

If you want to start with this, that is probably ok.

I'm don't particularly like the every-other-letter block. Perhaps consider the blocks on one side of the words or the other (like a stair - up) or a clump of blocks.

Or even build the words inside the block pyramid completely?

Short-term, I think you could use it. It should not be your focus right now...see where you begin to focus your strengths and develop your image. It is very common for 'logos' to evolve over time, so focus on the service/program at this point.

FWIW
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    If you want to start with this, that is probably ok.

I'm don't particularly like the every-other-letter block. Perhaps consider the blocks on one side of the words or the other (like a stair - up) or a clump of blocks.

Or even build the words inside the block pyramid completely?

Short-term, I think you could use it. It should not be your focus right now...see where you begin to focus your strengths and develop your image. It is very common for 'logos' to evolve over time, so focus on the service/program at this point.

FWIW

Thanks for the advice icon_thumright.gif. I've been playing around with both the ideas you mentioned before I choose the current one. Apparently developing a logo is much hard than I thought it would be. I do agree though that this is totally not my focus at the moment. I'm hoping to get more content and the actual courses online before the end of the month.
  • Options
    BodanelBodanel Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think the scripting courses should be more oriented to the sys admin's tasks and not to some things that are not usefull.
  • Options
    GrynderGrynder Member Posts: 106
    Good luck in your venture. I will keep checking your web site to see what you make available. I second the idea of a scripting video specifically for system admins
  • Options
    I like the idea of sys admin scripting...but the problem is there are tons of different tasks that system admins must do. Maybe if you guys want to see something specific in this area?

Some ideas:
    Windows vs Linux system admin scripting
    BASH vs Perl vs Python vs VBscript

User creation
    Password Checking
    Simple Backups
    Unlocking user accounts
    Deploying config files
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135

Nice, how about this though dawg!! imagine 2 peices of a jigsaw that are linked together one says M other says L using your 2 colour scheme, kind of fitting given that you are selling pieces as oppose to the full monte!
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hey, good luck with this! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice icon_thumright.gif. I've been playing around with both the ideas you mentioned before I choose the current one. Apparently developing a logo is much hard than I thought it would be. I do agree though that this is totally not my focus at the moment. I'm hoping to get more content and the actual courses online before the end of the month.

Well...we didn't even touch 'color' yet ;)

Seriously, when a product is good-great then the 'experts' all come out and start bashing the logo. Some companies truly have great logo's, but I don't recall a time when I have EVER let a logo stop me from buying good product.

I think you'll be just fine whatever you decided...I added my comments as 'you did ask for' comments icon_twisted.gif

The webpages look clean and that will help keep people on the pages and able to navigate them.

Yes, branding, program development, etc.. is ALL a ton of work. Keep your eye on the prize by writing out your goals and projected timeframe to achieve certain goals. Then when you are making enough growth you may find it time to hire out some of the smaller projects you might find fun, but are not the best use of your time.

Good start though!
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Keep your eye on the prize by writing out your goals and projected timeframe to achieve certain goals.

It's funny you mention that be I am a very goal oriented person. Before I even launched the site I wrote out a list of goals and when I should expect to have things accomplished...helps keep me on track. Glad to hear someone else say that it is a good idea though.

Again thanks for the feedback!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd be willing to try my hand at a logo if you were interested. Overall, looks like you have a pretty good goal here hope everything goes as planned and you truly can offer a quality product for a good price. :) Good luck!
  • Options
    It's funny you mention that be I am a very goal oriented person. Before I even launched the site I wrote out a list of goals and when I should expect to have things accomplished...helps keep me on track. Glad to hear someone else say that it is a good idea though.

Again thanks for the feedback!

icon_thumright.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    Published my first product yesterday! Training module for linux and kickstart. Working on a security course now and hoping to do a video version of my RCHSA/RHCE book as well.
  • Options
    Hey Shade, just wondering how your venture was coming along? Any interesting experiences that you wouldnt mind sharing with us at TE?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good Luck on everything Shade!!!! You know everyone here @ TE is ready to help in anyway possible. Work on building a great brand for yourself and things will fall into place. Can't wait to see what you come up with for the logo....let me know if you need some more ideas. Will you go into any MS certs for a few modules?
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    XantchaXantcha Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Fantastic idea. The site looks great but I have a few little niggles (yes, I am a grammer ****).

Security Courses 1 spelling mistake (hostest)
    Web App Sec Defense 3 spelling mistakes (hostest, developer and comming)
    Web App Sec Attack remove first 'if' in last sentence

Linux Courses Kickstart 1 spelling mistake (Bascis)

I hope you can continue the production of the modules. As you no doubt realise, the production of quality products is very time intensive which is usually why they are expensive.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the support guys!! I'm actually about to upload a re-design for the site already and add 3 more products. Business has been doing ok since I started, and if anything its been slow because I have had the time to produce as much content as I thought. Started a new day job which has been eating into my time icon_razz.gif

I appreciate all the feedback though icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Thanks for all the support guys!! I'm actually about to upload a re-design for the site already and add 3 more products. Business has been doing ok since I started, and if anything its been slow because I have had the time to produce as much content as I thought. Started a new day job which has been eating into my time icon_razz.gif

I appreciate all the feedback though icon_cheers.gif

you inspired me in so many ways ! good luck icon_cheers.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Xantcha wrote: »
    Fantastic idea. The site looks great but I have a few little niggles (yes, I am a grammer ****).

Security Courses 1 spelling mistake (hostest)
    Web App Sec Defense 3 spelling mistakes (hostest, developer and comming)
    Web App Sec Attack remove first 'if' in last sentence

Linux Courses Kickstart 1 spelling mistake (Bascis)

I hope you can continue the production of the modules. As you no doubt realise, the production of quality products is very time intensive which is usually why they are expensive.

The first thing I clicked on at your site was the security course, and I saw the misspelling on that page. I did not bother to check the others.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Made some more comments, see below.

I think I can understand you. You think faster than you type. Or, you type faster than you think.
    Either way, it just looks like typos are rampant. Or, it could just be that English isn't your
    native language, in which case, it's a little more excusable, but not totally.
    I think that I repeated some that the prior poster mentioned.
    =============
    =============

Format of my comments:
    1. Two lines of ====
    2. Link to the page I'm referring to
    3. Quote of something on that particular page
    4. My comments about that particular quote
    =============
    =============
    =============
    =============
    =============
    =============
    =============
    =============
    =============
    =============
    =============
    =============
    About Us
    quality training at a reasonible price
    quality training at a reasonable price
    prodiving you
    providing you
    to learn saving
    "to learn--saving" or "to learn, saving" (I feel like there should be some type of break in that
    statement)
    find training solution that
    find "a" training solution that
    No other training company offers the wide array of topics that we cover or at the prices we
    offer them at!
    this sentence just feels awkward
    =============
    =============
    Follow Us
    annouce course
    "announce course"
    course and module updates, sales, and upcoming events.
    Consider a list here, where you just list everything people can get from Modlearning on twitter
    this sentence has a chance to confuse someone, who can't be clear on if you are announcing the
    following:
    sales
    course updates
    module updates
    new courses
    new modules
    upcoming events
    =============
    =============
    Frequently Asked Questions
    exams are release?
    exams are released?
    additional meterial come out
    additional material come out
    homepage for annoucements pertaining
    homepage for announcements pertaining
    In fact many
    In fact, many
    we are focus on
    we are focused on
    ^^^ just an aside here, but focusing on four different things doesn't sound like a focus, but I can
    dig where you're coming from
    important area we
    important area, we
    =============
    =============
    Support
    Currently many training
    Either use "Currently, many training"
    or, use "Many training" and leave off the "currently"
    modules so
    modules, so
    starting out there are only
    starting out, there are only
    from, however we
    from; however, we
    see covered please
    see covered, please
    Kickstart Basics - Module 1
    Link Not Working
    Automating Kickstart - Module 2
    Link Not Working
    =============
    =============
    Courses
    topic allowing
    topic, allowing
    come with additional tips and tricks, videos, and more.
    though technically correct (since I know that tips and tricks are here to denote a single group of
    items) I would recommend just saying this: "come with additional premium content, including tips,
    tricks, videos, and more"
    money vs buying
    money, versus buying
    ^^^ the abbreviation of versus bothers me, I could be 1/100 on this one
    Modules can include written tutorials or walkthroughs, theory, exercises, samples exams or
    review questions, videos, config files, and more
    ^^^^
    might confuse people, to think that if they get a written tutorial, they can't get theory.
    or ... if they can get theory and exercises, they can't get videos and config files.

maybe, try this:
    "Modules can include the following types of content: walkthroughs, theory, exercises, sample exams,
    review questions, videos, config files, and more. You will know the type of content inside the
    module, prior to purchase."

^^^ I added that extra bit myself. It would make sense to let the customer know if a module
    includes videos and config files, or not.
    =============
    =============
    Linux+
    vendor neutral making
    vendor neutral, making
    =============
    =============
    Linux Courses
    hostest and fastest
    hottest and fastest
    course don't forget you
    course, don't forget that you
    =============
    =============
    Linux Courses
    hostest topics
    hottest topics
    "defensive" prospective
    "defensive" perspective
    More Modules Comming Soon!
    More Modules Coming Soon!
    =============
    =============
    Linux Courses
    It is recommend that if you take the Web Application Security (Defense) course first if you haven't already.
    It is recommended that you take the Web Application Security (Defense) course prior to the Web Application Security (Attack) course.
    =============
    =============
    Site questions:

Is there anything on your site that is available as a free sample? Prospective customers like to preview the quality. It could be a very basic, but popular topic.

Is there any chance that you start numbering your courses, so that they're easier to keep track of?
    =============
    =============
    Overall:
    I like the site layout. Just a couple errors here or there. Tighten those up, and it'll be fantastic. The spelling is more of an issue than the cases where I have different opinions on punctuation.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    Top advice there by instant00!!

TBH, if I saw these grammatical errors on a website, I'll look elsewhere immediately. People get turned off by bad grammar, it's normal human nature to think "Hey if this company doesnt double-check what they put on their home page, what's the guarantee they are good enough to do the stuff they offer to??"
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Options
    Thanks for all the great feedback! I understand spelling is a big thing when it comes to public sites for businesses. I just threw something up at the beginning of the year to get the website going. I actually have a full redesign coming soon....been kind of busy working on a second book and some additional material for courses. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Thanks for all the great feedback! I understand spelling is a big thing when it comes to public sites for businesses. I just threw something up at the beginning of the year to get the website going. I actually have a full redesign coming soon....been kind of busy working on a second book and some additional material for courses. icon_wink.gif

So glad that you took it this way, my girlfriend said that I was rude in my post. Her reasoning is that it was inappropriate to question whether or not someone was native to English. I thought I was showing empathy, but she thought I was showing my ass.

Oh yeah, Happy Fourth of July!
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    instant000 wrote: »
    So glad that you took it this way, my girlfriend said that I was rude in my post. Her reasoning is that it was inappropriate to question whether or not someone was native to English. I thought I was showing empathy, but she thought I was showing my ass.

Oh yeah, Happy Fourth of July!

Regardless of my native language (which is English by the way), a business should always strive for perfection in the crowd it isn't marketing its products and services too. That being said I'm not an English major either icon_wink.gif

I think that critique, both positive and negative, are the only thing that will truly help you achieve your end goal....whether that's starting a company, writing a book, or anything else. icon_thumright.gif