Options

Program for finding duplicate pictures

kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
My new boss has a ton of pictures. Probably around 400,000. He's not sure which pictures have been backed up, with the possibility of multiple backups.

Anyone have experience with a program to find duplicate pictures? The ones I've tried just choke. It would be nice if we were able to search multiple drives.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I don't know of any specific program but you can kludge something together by generating a hash value for all the files and see if there any dupes. It won't be speedy though at least initially. Once you've generated your massive hash value list then it'll be fast and easy to maintain.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't know an all in one program, but you could use Karenware's power hasher to create an md5 hash of all of the files in each directory. Then export the lists and use the Match function in excel to Find out which ones aren't in both lists.

http://www.karenware.com/powertools/pthasher.asp
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    There's definitely a free program out there that will do it because I recently used it to search my song & pic files and delete the duplicates. It worked perfectly though it did take a long time. I wish I could tell you which program I used unfortunately I deleted it after I used it!

I don't think either of these two are what I used but you could give them a try. Free programs find and remove duplicate files | Workers' Edge - CNET News
  • Options
    kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies. I'll do some more research.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used "Duplicate Cleaner" to clean the picture duplicates on my PC.

Duplicate Cleaner - Find Duplicate Files

it is a nice program.
  • Options
    FrankThFrankTh Member Posts: 30 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi kevozz.

Maybe this freeware would be of help:

Duplicate File Finder download and reviews from SnapFiles

there is also glary utilites free version but more tricky.
    Hope this can help. Good success with this task.

FrankTh
  • Options
    binarymanbinaryman Registered Users Posts: 2 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi Kevozz

I recommend Directory Report
    http://www.file-utilities.com

It can easily handle your 400,000 images
    It can find duplicates based on the same name, size, CRC32 and/or comparing byte-by-byte
    It cannot find similar photos