Options

Some Lab Advice

GermandoGermando Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
First off HI EVERYONE!

I am currently getting ready for the CCENT portion of my CCNA, but want to get my lab ready at the same time. I want my lab to be able to do 90+ percent of stuff for my CCNA and have a good chunk of the equipment that I will need for the CCNP as well.

2 x 2950T ~70 ea
4 x 3640 ~ 55 ea
3 x 2520 ~70 ea
1 x 2511 ~ 150 ea
2 x 877W ~ 400 ea
2 x 2501 ~ 25 ea

I have not purchased any of these so feel free to rip it apart. I searched all over and found a few good setups and kinda merged them basically to add the wireless. Also which items are obviously wait till CCNP time. Since this is my first venture into cisco are there certain versions of the above that i need to look for?

I am reading both the sybex and cisco press books are there any others worth buying?

Thanks in advance for all the help that i will be getting from everyone here

G

Goals:
CCNA and CCNP in 2011

Comments

• Options
    mensmens Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi Germando!

Do it simple and buy the following:
    3x 2950T
    3x 1721 with max memory (128 ram, 32 flash) and WIC-1T's
    ..and maybe that 2511 you mentioned, and one of those 2520 to use for frame relay.

Instead of the 1721 you could get some rack mountable 2600xm routers with max mem.

When you finish your ccna you probably know more about different equipment and want to add and maybe remove stuff in your lab.
  • Options
    genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    A good book to grab is the Cisco Press CCNA Portable Command Guide Amazon.com: CCNA Portable Command Guide (2nd Edition) (9781587201936): Scott Empson: Books. You'll not only find it useful for the exam but easy to bring with you to work due to it's small & compact size. :)
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • Options
    seekritseekrit Member Posts: 103
    Germando wrote: »
    First off HI EVERYONE!

I am currently getting ready for the CCENT portion of my CCNA, but want to get my lab ready at the same time. I want my lab to be able to do 90+ percent of stuff for my CCNA and have a good chunk of the equipment that I will need for the CCNP as well.

2 x 2950T ~70 ea
    4 x 3640 ~ 55 ea
    3 x 2520 ~70 ea
    1 x 2511 ~ 150 ea
    2 x 877W ~ 400 ea
    2 x 2501 ~ 25 ea

I have not purchased any of these so feel free to rip it apart. I searched all over and found a few good setups and kinda merged them basically to add the wireless. Also which items are obviously wait till CCNP time. Since this is my first venture into cisco are there certain versions of the above that i need to look for?

I am reading both the sybex and cisco press books are there any others worth buying?

Thanks in advance for all the help that i will be getting from everyone here

G

Goals:
    CCNA and CCNP in 2011

That's to much for the CCNA. The 2522, 2511 and 2950T would be the three I'd choose from the lot. The 2522 is a great frame-rely device, the 2511 has dual serial ports with an asynchronous port you can use for an access server, and that 2950T gives you dual gb twisted pair without using the gbic modules.

The 871 is the lowest 800 series that supports ospf and eigrp, and seeing how the 877w is the advanced wireless version unless you're going to go after your ccna:w I'd skip it. That unit alone cost more then my entire CCNA lab with a 12u rack.
  • Options
    GermandoGermando Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ok what about this setup then.

2 x 2950T
    1 x 2520
    1 x 2511
    3 x 1721 or 2600XM or a mixture of both
    2 x 2501 (already have :o))

Are the 3640's not needed for ccna and would having at least one open up new topics? When looking on ebay for these is there anything special i should make sure is included? Are 24 port 2950T's good enough or do i need the 48 port?

Thanks for all the advice

G
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I use 3640's because of how expandable they are - but the other suggestions here are also valid, especially for the CCENT/CCNA track