Passed RHCE

I got the result today:
RHCE requirements: score of 70 or higher on RHCT components (100 points)
score of 70 or higher on RHCE components (100 points)

RHCT requirement: score of 70 or higher on RHCT components (100 points)

RHCT components score: 88.9
RHCE components score: 93.8

RHCE Certification: PASS

As some of you know, I took the exam about a month ago and failed:
http://www.techexams.net/forums/lpi-rhce-sair/60777-rhce-reuslt-i-cant-belive.html

It's ironic I got the exact same result in RHCE part again icon_rolleyes.gif

Material/Resources used:
- Michael Jang book + RedHat deployment Guide(free from redhat.com)
- No training course, just selt-study using the books and practicing on VMware + an old PC I have at home.

My recommendations:

For those who have experience with other *NIX flavors (Solaris in my case), I really recommend you take the official RedHat training(it's worth the money, but I didn't take it), it will save you a lot of time and efforts ! My problem is that the first time I tookt the exam I practically didn't study anything RHCT related, so I failed in the RHCT part. When I studied the RHCT part again, I knew that I had some misconception due to either lack of knowledge or confusion with other OSes.

Same thing for RHCE part, you need to study things the RedHat way, and the best resource would be the official RedHat courses. I recommend you study from Michael Jang book and the Deployment Guide, then at least take the Rapid Track training.

There's a course specially made for Solaris admins, offered by RedHat. Any training is better than nothing IMHO, as you get to know what you need to study.

*I think* that I studied certain topics with more depth than required, and I think that there are certain topics (or parts of some topics) that I didn't study at all. Because I depeneded on the Prep Guide Exam objectives ( http://www.redhat.com/certification/rhce/objectives/past/ ), so I think the depth of some of the objectives can be vague.

The Exam:
The exam itself is what it claims to be. It will test you on each and every topic so be prepared & don't skip topics when you study. You need to know how to configure the services for basic operation, and how to secure those services, just as Red Hat says in the Prep Guide. It's an interesting exam, and the questions really test your knowledge in those topics. It's better to take this exam when you have some Linux/Unix experience, otherwise it can be very difficult (but definitely doable).

Now we have more RHCEs in the forums icon_thumright.gif
Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

Comments

• bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Excellent job sir, well done! :)
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    well done mate!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Awesome. What's next for you?
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • eng_ahmedeng_ahmed Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Awesome. What's next for you?

Certifications wise I'm not sure yet, but Solaris 11 is coming soon, so we have to do the certification for partnership. Maybe Oracle Linux too. I need to play more with PERL, and who knows, let's see :)

• rainwaterrainwater Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • /pub/beer//pub/beer/ Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats.
    Certification Goal:
    - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    icon_cheers.gif Well done Unixguy, congrats! So you went around and retook the exam? What a way to recover!
    I am actually looking into SCSA and wonder about questions' format on both exams. Straightforward multiple choice? Long-ish scenarios from which multiple questions are derived? Lots of fill-in-the-blanks?
    varelg wrote: »
    icon_cheers.gif Well done Unixguy, congrats! So you went around and retook the exam? What a way to recover!
    I am actually looking into SCSA and wonder about questions' format on both exams. Straightforward multiple choice? Long-ish scenarios from which multiple questions are derived? Lots of fill-in-the-blanks?

hehe yeah I couldn't wait, I reschedueled the exam few days after the fail, because I knew the RHCE part very well, my mistake was not paying enough attention to the RHCT part, anyway!

I suggest you wait for the SCSA, because Solaris 11 will be officially released anytime this, and there will definitely be changes for the material. For example, ZFS file system will be the default boot file system, and I'm guessing topics like ufsdump backup might change to add more stuff ZFS-related. You can, however, install Oracle Solaris 11 express and start studying if you want :)

As per Sun/Oracle website, the exams are multiple choice questions/Drag&Drop. You should know all the objectives ins and outs, because they exam will test you on everything. Practical exposure is highly recommended. If you practice every topic, you will find the exam easy.

The problem is that SCSA changes frequently, so you should really check the objectives before taking the exams. Third party books (only 2 available anyway) are outdated; many topics are replaced with new ones.

I will take Solaris 11 certification when they releas it :)

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How about you start a blog instead of pursuing all these certs? I've always enjoyed reading your *nix posts. Congrats on the pass!
    dynamik wrote: »
    How about you start a blog instead of pursuing all these certs? I've always enjoyed reading your *nix posts. Congrats on the pass!

thanks, and good to see your posts here again :)

I'm starting my blog soon :D

• zobo88zobo88 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • KfergKferg Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats Unixguy on the pass. I have basic Linux Admin expierence. and i am currently reading thru a few guides for RHEL6. Im prepping for the RHCSA exam my goal is to achieve this by year end. Right now im working for the local cable company in the video on demand department so im working with servers just none Linux. but i do have fedora setup in the house and im running rhel 6 in virtual box.

To anyone out if you could throw me some bones for preping for my exam it would be greatly appreciated and again congrats to you Unix guy.

Thanks

Keith
    Sometimes we sit and try to pretend we are happy with what we are doing. Open your eyes and do what you feel will make you happy!
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
    Kferg wrote: »
    Congrats Unixguy on the pass. I have basic Linux Admin expierence. and i am currently reading thru a few guides for RHEL6. Im prepping for the RHCSA exam my goal is to achieve this by year end. Right now im working for the local cable company in the video on demand department so im working with servers just none Linux. but i do have fedora setup in the house and im running rhel 6 in virtual box.

To anyone out if you could throw me some bones for preping for my exam it would be greatly appreciated and again congrats to you Unix guy.

Thanks

Keith

As I said before, since you don't work with Linux, I highly recommend the official training by RedHat, it's a good experience & it is the best preparation for the exam

I recommend you install two RedHat on Vmware or Virtual box & practice practice practie !

Good luck with your studies icon_thumright.gif

Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif

Thank you icon_cheers.gif