Options

Virtual lab issue for 70-640

DarthLysisDarthLysis Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello All - I am waffling on where to put this thread, in the MS 2008 general or in the virtualization forum. I tossed a coin and the Virtualization won.

Here is my problem. I created a Vmware Workstation 7 Team of 4 VM's for my70-640, 642, and 646 exams. I created the team using the LAN 1 setting so all 4 machines can communicate and they do.

I want only the Domain controller 1 (DC01 going forward) to have access to the internet (actually by a virtual router would be nice but that is another animal) so I added a second nic to DC01. When I installed Active directory on the DC01 I gave it an IP address of 10.10.10.1. The new nic is using NAT and it gets a 192.168.x.x address which is dynamic and changes every time I restart the network.

I want DC01 to provide internet access to the rest of the domain. I went in to DHCP and configured a scope and added the 003 router to the Scope options (with both the 192.168.xx and 10.10.10.1 address) and it doesn’t work. The Vm's can still communicate just no internet on the 3 client vm's.

So I came here to ask the knowledgeable people here for some help.

Comments

• Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This configuration is covered on the 642 exam. You can't just add two NICs to a 2008 machine and expect it to route, rather you have to setup RRAS. If you have a 642 book already, check that since it will have information and labs for setting up RRAS. However, I would suggest taking another approach to accomplish what you need, since you generally don't want a DC to have two IP addresses (it can cause issues which are not good to have when you are first starting out).

You wrote that you only want the DC to have Internet access, yet it sounds like you are saying the problem is the other machines don't have Internet access. If you do indeed want all of the machines to have Internet access, an easy way is to just connect them to a network that is NAT-enabled in VMware Workstation, which will provide access to the Internet. I believe one of the networks should already be configured with NAT, so just connect all the VMs to that. If you want to have the DC running DHCP, then disable DHCP on the network in Workstation.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    DarthLysisDarthLysis Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I knew I should have started off with 642. :)

I did add bridged and Nat (both work with no problems) to the other machines just to get the MS updates in place. i removed the extra nics for now.

I wanted DHCP, DNS etc all to come from DC01 (which they do sans internet) but I forgot a lot about RRas. Something you said in you post jogged my old memory from the 2000 days. I think in the lab we set up one of the pc’s as a router using Rras and that’s how we got internet to the lab domains.

When I did my 2000 MCSE track I went to a school for it and the class for infrastructure was my weakest part of the course. AD and Exchange was my better one so I figured 640 was the place to start. I was planning on picking up the book for 642 after I pass the 640 but might have to get it now, though I am sure I can get by as is for the moment. I am doing the 3 exams as self-study this time no school and with virtual labs instead of 4 pcs in my bedroom. The physical machines seemed easier even though I have used VMware workstation for 5 years.

Thanks for the help.
  • Options
    ElvisGElvisG Member Posts: 167
    Can't you just take the IP for DNS off in the VM's that you don't want to have Internet? If so, just assign everything static or go into DHCP and have it not issue a DNS IP.