Options

Laptop for lab

Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey,

Might be in the wrong forum, but I want to know if this laptop will be fast enough for packet tracer and eventually to be the terminal for my lab.

Intel Centrino 1.4Mhz
15.1" LCD screen
Graphic Card ATI MOBILITY RADEON 7500
512 MB RAM
30 GB Hard drive
Extended life battery
XP Professional license
WiFi, Bluetooth, LAN, USB, etc.

It's second hand, but I could get it for a third of the price of a new laptop with the same size screen. Is it good enough?

Kai.

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Those specs don't make it look like a deal at all at almost any price. A cheap replacement battery would still cost more than that laptop is worth.

I had old laptops from the early 2000's that had better specs -- and it's cheaper to give them away than pay the $25 recycling fee.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My girlfriends mother has a similar laptop. Takes about 13 minutes to load, and another 2 for IE to open but its ok after that. Im sure it would run packet tracer and act as a terminal.

I'll keep looking. I can definitely afford a netbook but a 10 inch screen for packet tracer is a daunting prospect.

Kai.
  • Options
    Greenmet29Greenmet29 Member Posts: 240
    I would think that laptop would run packet tracer just fine...

I have a compaq presario 5184 that a family member gave me (their OLD computer). It has a AMD-K6 Processor - 380 MHz processor and I upgraded it to 384MB of 100MHz ram. I reformatted the [5.25"] hard drive with windows 2000 and, though not the fastest, works fine for running teraterm. I haven't loaded packet tracer on it, but I don't think packet tracer takes much processing power. If you can get it for <= 50.00, it's probably a good deal IMO.