Options

Beginning Study Path to CCNA....

shaX 07shaX 07 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am looking to get some input from others on here about my study path to achieving my CCNA. I have been working in IT for a little over a year and a half now, the first 8 months I worked for a hospital doing the "jack of all trades" IT work- PC's, network, phones, printers, accounts, everything.

For the past year I have worked for a different hospital in a Desktop Support role, answering phones, triaging and troubleshooting PC and application issues.

I achieved my A+ back in July, and I just completed by Network+ and Security+ last month.

I am looking to pursue a possible career in networking, as I am not interested in staying in the Desktop Support role forever.

I will most likely pick up Todd Lammle's CCNA Study Guide book to use as my primary resource. I also have access to Cisco Packet Tracer, and through my work I am going to be able to acquire some older Cisco switches and routers to play with. I plan to start out by reading the book and then doing labs/configuring things with the real equipment and in Packet Tracer as I go along and learn things.

I do not have a time frame for this, and that's something I would like some input on. I have a baby on the way so I may not be able to put a lot of time into this in addition to going to school and working full time, but if I can figure out how much time I need to study/practice and work it around everything else, i'd like to be able to achieve my CCNA before July if possible.

If anyone has any tips, guidance on ways I can be smarter and more efficient at preparing for CCNA, please let me know.

Thanks.
Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, Server+
Vendor Certs: Epic Client Systems Management, Epic Client Systems Management w/ Hyperspace Web
College: B.S. - Computer Information Systems

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd suggest using the Odom books rather than Lammle as your primary source. While I haven't gone through the current versions, Odom's books were a lot more detailed with better coverage then Lammle's when I went through.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I am also juggling work, school, wife/kid and side jobs while studying for certs. I can't study as much/fast as I would like but as long as you don't stop or halt down to a crawl you should be OK.

You already did one of the most important steps: set a time frame. When I was younger I studied for Win2000 certs without setting a date as a goal and it just didn't work out. Last year I worked on 5 exams and although I had to make slight adjustments on the exam dates everything worked out OK. My current goal is 70-680 by end of February and CCNA no later than end of August.

Keep it going and never stop, no matter what life throws at you.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if either the Lammle or Odom CCNA books are available on audio CD? I was thinking to myself yesterday-- I have a 1 hour commute each way to work every single day, so for 10 hours per week I am just driving on the highway bored out of my mind. I could certainly benefit from listening to these books on CD to guide my studies along more quickly...
    Vendor Certs: Epic Client Systems Management, Epic Client Systems Management w/ Hyperspace Web
  • Options
    seekritseekrit Member Posts: 103
    No, not that I'm aware of. But Train-Signal CCNA DVD 2 does has the audio only files for you to put on disk, ipod, whatever..
  • Options
    badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    For Network+ I used to listen to Train Signal videos thru my smartphone when im driving.

Are you doing the one or two exam route??
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • Options
    badboyeee wrote: »
    For Network+ I used to listen to Train Signal videos thru my smartphone when im driving.

Are you doing the one or two exam route??

Haven't exactly decided yet. I'm thinking about the 2 exam route, since it's less material to know per exam and it would help me break it out and put less pressure on myself to try to remember Everything for 1 exam.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    shaX 07 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if either the Lammle or Odom CCNA books are available on audio CD? I was thinking to myself yesterday-- I have a 1 hour commute each way to work every single day, so for 10 hours per week I am just driving on the highway bored out of my mind. I could certainly benefit from listening to these books on CD to guide my studies along more quickly...

Lammle has audio. I believe TrainSignal does as well.