Options

Wireless taking precedence over LAN

DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
Several times I've seen where users are attempting to access the internet from their laptops that are plugged into the LAN but are unsuccessful. I've determinined this to be because the wireless is also turned on and connect to our wireless network. For some reason the wireless connection is taking priority, and the computer is then ignoring the fact that it is connected to the LAN.

This seems backwards to me, so what I'm looking for is how I can make the LAN connection primary. Or at least have the wireless disabled if a network cable is connected.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks
Decide what to be and go be it.

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Go to Network Connections where it lists all the adapters. In the menu there is Advanced Settings. Alter the priority there.

The users will have to know that they can't just unplug and walk away though without dropping all of their connections since it will be via ethernet.
  • Options
    Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    Check for a LAN/WLAN Switching option in BIOS.
  • Options
    Checked Bios, nothing in there about it.

Where are these advanced settings? Are you referring to changing the metric inside of the advanced TCP/IP settings?
  • Options
    The setting you want is the one I told you about. Its nothing to do with the BIOS at all.

Advanced Settings is a menu option in the actual window that shows all your network adapters. Its not part of any specific network adapter itself.

For Vista/7 it is here:

Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> Change adapter settings -> Alt+N -> Advanced Settings

XP should just be where the normal network adapters are listed but I can't remember the exact path to it.
  • Options
    Oh wow, a menu I have never seen before... This is like Christmas!

Up on the Menu bar, Advanced --> Advanced Settings
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Oh wow, a menu I have never seen before...
    Yeah. I've no idea why its so hard to find. If you don't know exactly where that menu is then you'd never find it since the menu bar is normally hidden.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Learned something myself. Usually at home, I just tap off the wireless when I am docked. That's the joy of Microsoft. Every new product moves so much stuff around......with no sense behind much of it.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    SteveLord wrote: »
    Learned something myself. Usually at home, I just tap off the wireless when I am docked. That's the joy of Microsoft. Every new product moves so much stuff around......with no sense behind much of it.

That's what we've been telling people to do here, but I finally decided enough was enough. There has to be a solution for this.

I'll test it out later and make sure.