Options

Lasik - Anyone here have any experience?

Dryst999Dryst999 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I have a Lasik consultation scheduled at the end of this month that i'm thinking of canceling. One of the most prodominent clinics in my city ran a half off special last month if you donated money to their mission trip in Africa so I scheduled a consultation. The cost will be $2700 in total which is very cheap for this clinic, they use the intralase (Bladefree) method with wavefront technology which runs $2200 an eye.

I'm -9 in my left eye and -8 in my right eye which is a very high level of myopia. I was pumped for Lasik but after hours of internet scouring i'm not finding very many success stories for people with my level of blindness. I've been surfing alot of forums, not just reading the horror stories posted on propoganda sites.

Anyone here have any experience to share?

Comments

• Options
    Fugazi1000Fugazi1000 Member Posts: 145
    Hi,

I had Wavefront-Guided Lasik in both eyes about 4 years ago. One of the best things I ever did!

I was worse than -4ish in both eyes so not as bad as yours. No astygmatism. I do remember seeing a sliding scale that shows % success rates depending on the level of shortsightedness you were starting from. Even into -double figures I recall it was better than 90%. It meant than you might need glasses to read/drive.

I fretted about the surgery (the many what ifs) but all went to plan. No more contact lenses. Needed a week off work (and a wife to 'fetch and carry')!

The only downside is that night vision is very 'starry'. It's better now than it was, but I still see all lights as 'starbursts' that anybody can if they squint. I can still drive safely at night.

Only do it if you feel comfortable - but as I said - one of the best decisions I ever made.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I am thinking of having it done too, of course when I have saved enough for it. I am +4 in both eyes, which doctors think is unusual for a person in their 20's. I also have poor accommodation in both eyes, a condition in which the eyes cannot optimally adjust the optical power of the lens as the distance of an object changes. I spoke to a doctor a while back who advised me against Lasik because of this condition, reckoned that it wouldnt make my eyesight any better. I will be seeking some opinions on this before I make a decision. Heck, it's my eyes, it's not like I can go " Ok let's get this over and done with".

I think one of our members, Paul Boz had it done about a year or so go. His was pretty successful.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    Dryst999Dryst999 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Fugazi how was working on the PC all day during the healing period? Another thing that worries me is eye pain for the first 6 months since i'm in front of a computer screen 8-10hr's/day 7 days a week
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i was legally blind, and now I'm 20/20, it's been like 6 years too... i highly recommend it... but I personally didn't feel comfortable with looking for the cheapest deal... those places that treat lasik like a fast food order scare me...
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Dryst999 wrote: »
    . I've been surfing alot of forums, not just reading the horror stories posted on propoganda sites.

Really? I've been looking at this as well recently and all anecdotes I've read are very positive. If the consultation is free then definitely do it; don't make a decision based on heresay from the Internet.

I hate horror stories and people who insist on keeping me where I am. However, you need to know both sides, so check this site if you haven't already: LASIKComplications.com - Top Ten Reasons Not To Have LASIK Surgery

It hasn't put me off the idea but it did inform me on a few things that I didn't realise and that the flashy Lasik ads won't tell you. My biggest deal breaker is the cost; $AUS3250 per eye with the intralase. I understand it is more affordable in Korea and Japan but haven't looked into that yet.

The MOST important thing is to have an experienced ophthalmologist perform the operation. Make sure you ask about that in your consultation.
  • Options
    Fugazi1000Fugazi1000 Member Posts: 145
    Dryst,

Trying hard to remember - but as I wore contacts (24x7) I quite often suffered from dry eyes and used to use little saline drops.

During the healing period - I remember being told to avoid harsh/bright lights (or take breaks in darkened room) but as I don't remember any of that time - I really don't think I had any issues. I do recall being 'amazed' just to see everything so clearly upon waking up.

Both Mikes that have made comments are spot on - it's not about a cheap deal production line. It's a intricate process that needs to be performed properly by experienced professionals. It's safe - but only when all precautions are taken. Think about the care I suspect you take in your own job when working on systems, that if anything goes wrong, the consequences are such that you check and doublecheck before making that irreversible mistake.

Pay peanuts - get monkeys is never truer here......
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I've been thinking about getting LASIK done but after I read the risks, I decieded that they outweigh the benefits. Maybe I'll try back in about 7 years when the cost has gone down and other people have been "experimented on" :P

Plus I kinda like my glasses. They act like my safety goggles at times :)
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    man, I don't miss my glasses one bit... and I do NOT miss contacts.. those were the suck
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    My wife had it done years ago, and is pretty happy with the results. The only drawback, she says, has been that her night vision isn't as clear.

That said, there's no way I'd ever do it. I've heard what they actually do, and I've got an aversion of having things anywhere near my eyes. I could never do it if they can't put me out for it.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Went to the optometrist today. Aside of all the risks, something he mentioned was consistent with what I read in a forum - people with normal site will usually require reading glasses after reaching 40; myopic people won't. If I get my short-sightedness corrected, my close range vision will deteriorate.

Bollocks if you do, bollocks if you don't...
    Plus I kinda like my glasses. They act like my safety goggles at times :)

I was once using a grinder and a shard flew up under my safety glasses and lodged itself into my contact lens. One of the few times to be grateful about bad eyesight. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I had lasik about five years ago. It is something that I don't even think about anymore, until someone brings up glasses or lasik. It took me a few extra days to heal enough to where I could do computer work all day. I still occasionally use eye drops as my eyes get dry sometimes.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    i do think my eyes are more dry now... but it could be all in my head... either way it's still way worth it
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark