Options

CCENT Question

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
Hey guys,

I am overseeing the training of 3 new guys. One of the requirements is that I get them spun up to their CCENTs. I asked for a bunch of old ebay 2621xms but the boss countered and said he could get a bunch of 2600's (non XM) routers free from a client who we are upgrading.

It's my understanding the big difference for a lab would be the SDM. They require the SDM now at the CCENT level right? Would I need all routers to support the SDM to run through the lab books for CCENT?

Ill clearly take the 2600s but just need to know if I need 1..2...3 2621xms?
-Daniel

Comments

• Options
    humdingy02humdingy02 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just took the ICND1 about 2 months ago. While I did read up on SDM (and did a little bit of testing), it wasn't an important topic.

The link here indicates that SDM isn't available on the original 2600 series. On the 2600XM's, you'll need the maximum amount of flash to support the IOS and SDM though.
    Cisco Router and Security Device Manager Q&A [Cisco Router and Security Device Manager] - Cisco Systems

I have two 2621XM's and one 2611. The XM's are a better box. Fast Ethernet instead of Ethernet, memory can be upgraded further, etc. Not an expert, just going from my limited experience.
    WGU - BS, IT Security (starting Feb 1st, 2012)
    Remaining: LUT1,QBT1,DFV1,BOV1,HHT1,QLT1,RIT1,IWC1,IWT1,DJV1,KET1,TPV1,MGC1,CVV1,CJV1,KFT1,CNV1,SBT1,RGT1
    Completed: WFV1,CLC1,INT1,CUV1,CQV1,BNC1,GAC1
    Transferred: AGC1,BBC1,LAE1,AXV1,CPV1,INC1,CSV1,COV1,CTV1,DHV1,BVC1
  • Options
    pham0329pham0329 Member Posts: 556
    While I was studying for the CCENT, I basically skipped anything that had to do with the SDM...I figured that since it was a GUI, I could find my way around. I don't think I had one question regarding the SDM when I took my exam a couple months ago
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    I only did one real world lab with SDM and played around with the Demo a little bit. That was plenty along with the reading I did that covered it.
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    ibcritn wrote: »
    Maybe just get packet tracer for them to learn SDM.

Packet tracer doesn't support SDM.
  • Options
    seekritseekrit Member Posts: 103
    Packet tracer is trademarked for Cisco Networking Academy and isn't freely available. That would be piracy.
  • Options
    Greenmet29Greenmet29 Member Posts: 240
    I agree with everyone else. SDM is finicky at best, and although I tried desperately to configure SDM, it proved to be a waste of time. Not only because I never got it working well (I did get it working but it was completely hit or miss), but I didn't have many (if any) questions on the test about it.

I think for the CCENT level, I would go for the free equipment especially if you aren't thinking about continuing to the CCNA level. I am not a CCNA yet, but there is at least one subject that you need a fastethernet port for.