Options

CCNA CBT Nugget Videos

I3astardsI3astards Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
Highly likely to be a re-post, so apologies.

How valuable do people feel these are? What did people use to supplment them? Im shortly starting studying for ICND1 (CCENT).

Thanks all.

Comments

• Options
    WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
    First off Jeremy(the instructor of the series) is the best instructor out there, the problem is, what he has in enthusiasm and teaching skills, he lacks in depth. You would need alot of hand's on experience with labs and maybe a few Cisco books as well to round out your training. You will learn quite a bit from the training and I highly recommend him.
  • Options
    seekritseekrit Member Posts: 103
    The Train-Signal is deeper and more technical, but CBT-nugget is a funner learning environment.
  • Options
    Brass KnucklesBrass Knuckles Member Posts: 16 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would agree with the above statement regarding the lack of depth of the CBT Nuggets videos. I read the entire CCNA book, reviewed the CBT Nuggets vids, and did some Boson simulators. I failed by only 4 points this past week for the CCENT.

There are a few topics on the CCENT test that simply are NOT covered by Jeremy in his videos, which was disappointing for me because they could have been the different in me passing or failing the test because I was so close in the score. Even more disturbing was the fact that certain topics on this CCENT test I see are listed for the ICND2 while other topics I studied weren't even tested.

I'm going to take a month to review and try to sharpen up on the topics I feel weak on.
  • Options
    seekritseekrit Member Posts: 103
    Don't wait that long. Get back on the horse and keep riding! Statistics show you're better off to take the exam while the content is fresh then prolonging the test out 30 days. Schedule the test a week from today and get it done!
  • Options
    Brass KnucklesBrass Knuckles Member Posts: 16 ■■■□□□□□□□
    seekrit wrote: »
    Don't wait that long. Get back on the horse and keep riding! Statistics show you're better off to take the exam while the content is fresh then prolonging the test out 30 days. Schedule the test a week from today and get it done!

My confidence is kind of shaken, to be honest. I thought I was well-prepared. I understand subnetting well. But, there were topics on there that I just didn't think would be asked based on the curriculum and the video reviews. In the heat of the moment, I couldn't take note of other topics that surprised me and now my mind of blank trying to recall them.

So, I was going to take some of those simulator test to show me the areas that I don't have down pat and review them better. I'm shooting for a 2-week turnaround, but I just want to make sure I am read first before I blow more money.
  • Options
    mattaumattau Member Posts: 218
    Jeremy is fantastic! without him i would be no where. reading through the sybex book is hard just by itself as no concepts sink in. I have started learning all this stuff with absolutely no background in networking or computers.

he explains stuff really really well and gives great analogy's to put things into a real life perspective to help you understand. Definitely worth its weight in gold.

I also have train signal to which I watch as chris bryant is pretty detailed. I think learning from a few different sources is good.

• Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I liked them a lot. I do recommend them, but only as an extra resource on top of books. Make sure you start with a good text, like the Wendell Odom series. Then if you have the time/money go for CBT Nuggets.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    Thanks for the replies, I'll probaby start with CBT Nuggets to jump start my study. Seems like it would be a good intro.
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • Options
    VinUnleadedVinUnleaded Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I watched the CBT nuggets series first. I am now almost done with chapter 1 on the Sybex book. I think watching the series first would give you a good grasp of whole concept.
    I also noticed that while reading the book, I came across some information that would take me a lot of rereading to absorb. but thankfully the CBT videos explained them pretty clear.
  • Options
    genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Love em. I watched the videos and then read that chapter in the Sybex book immediately afterwards. Well worth it.
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012