Options

[SOLVED]How did you make your SDM to work?

thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
I used IE9 for my SDM v2.5 because Firefox and Chrome never work.

I have the latest Java update, and SDM works; however, I can't use the Additional Task. When I clicked the Additional Task, nothing shows up. I did some googling and people said it has something to do with the Java update, so I went to Cisco website and checked the system requirements for the SDM. It says Jave JRE 1.4.2_05.

After I installed the JRE 1.4.2_05, I restarted my PC. I opened SDM again and the Additional Task is still not working.

I downloaded the Java JRE 6 update 7, I tried to install it, but I got an error saying "This installation package is not supported by the processor type. Contact your vendor."

I also disabled the Java 1.6.0_23, just for the hell of it, and still not working.

Everything works on my SDM except for Additional Task, and Logging.

Can someone please share how you fixed your SDM?
I have Windows 7 x64.
Studying:
Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
Reading:
Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold

Comments

• Options
    Greenmet29Greenmet29 Member Posts: 240
    You have to use an old version of java... I used a version 5, but it was still finicky at best.
  • Options
    seekritseekrit Member Posts: 103
    Greenmet29 wrote: »
    You have to use an old version of java... I used a version 5, but it was still finicky at best.

Yep, I used a VMware image of XP with an older version of Java 6.9. Kind of a silly, but I guess the latest versions of Java don't play nice with SDM..

Good luck..
  • Options
    seekrit wrote: »
    Yep, I used a VMware image of XP with an older version of Java 6.9. Kind of a silly, but I guess the latest versions of Java don't play nice with SDM..

Good luck..
    I am going to try to use XP mode, and see if that works.
    I will report later tonight (got to go to work).

How do you install SDM on Ubuntu?
    I installed SDM under Wine, but the Wine browser is not compatible.
    Studying:
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Under linux I had to install SDM on the router itself; I was never able to get it to work extracted into /var/www for apache to read. Googling suggested it was possible, as I'd found a blog of someone claiming they'd done it (since it's java, it's platform-independant, so makes sense), but I never got it to work.

I had the most success with internet explorer and java 6u6; newer firefoxes require java of I think 6u15 or greater so won't work.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    Mmm, so this is the result of my SDM.
    I have SDM v2.5 installed on my XP mode. I am using IE6 and installed Java JRE 1.4.2_05, and Java 6 update 10.

I restarted the computer because Java 1.4.2_05 wanted me to do so; therefore, I restarted the XP mode.

When I got back at the desktop, I opened the SDM and went straight to Additional Task. This time it works. I can now mess with Additional Task. Also, the Logging under the Monitor tab is working now as well.

Now, the question is, did Cisco discontinue the support for SDM?
    I think the last update for this was in 2007.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Cisco Configuration Professional - Products & Services - Cisco Systems

SDM is old. I had typed out a reply that was going to tell you to use an XP VM yesterday but I nixed it. I've never been able to make it work in anything else. Glad you solved it yourself.

What's funny about CCP is that if you watch the demo, it just looks like a GUI update for SDM. The wizards look like cut and pastes from the old ones.
  • Options
    I would be nice if Cisco would update their documentation about the SDM's system requirements.

I solved it with the help of the forum community, so thanks to everyone.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    Oh the joys of SDM. You should check out my thread in the CCNA Security forum on that one.

It is such a PIA.

If there's anything I hate about Cisco, it's their use of java/SDM...they are meatheads when it comes to that....
  • Options
    Is the CCP free to download like SDM?

I could not find an XP oem's anymore. Is there a trial/evaluation version of XP. I just need it for SDM, since Windows 7 does not support the old Java, I need to get a Windows XP for virtualization, trial version should be enough.
    Studying:
    Reading:
  • Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138