Options

All new ;)

LozzanoLozzano Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi folks,

I am all new to this forum, and registered myself because I want to start my certification journey.

So, if I want to get the MCITP: Server Administrator, there are three exams to pass.

Exam 70-640
Exam 70-642
Exam 70-646

Is there anything I should know before I go ahead and get the books and stuff? Or is it pretty straight forward. I have mostly been working with linux servers, but my job requires me to do a lot of windows server related work as well. I am of course familiar with all the 'basic stuff'. But im not hardcore into AD or Domain Controllers or anything like that. Which is why I want to do these cert's, so I can learn it. Is it the right approach I am taking? Or is there something I should learn before?

And the golden question, where to start? Should I just pick up one of the three above? And start? Or which one is recommended.

- Lozzano out!

Comments

• Options
    PovilasPovilas Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I advise to start with 70-640. It gives good framework on how Active Directory works. It isn't easy, but really worth to take first, because with Microsoft Server everything revolves around the AD.
    2013 to do list:
    [70-413] [70-414]
  • Options
    Okay thanks, what book should one buy to learn this in the best manner? Any official microsoft books around that teaches you everything for the exams?

- Lozzano
  • Options
    marcelsmarcels Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MS Press Books seem to be the most popular.

They have practice labs so you can build servers and learn hands on as well as companion CD with mock exams that are very helpful.

You need to be aware that most training materials are based on Windows 2008, but the exams are now focused on Windows 2008 R2 and there are a lot of differences.

Check out the stickys at the top of this forum for more details, they are a great source of info.

If you have access to a 64bit machine then you can setup a virtual environment to build your labs. You want 64bit as Windows 2008 R2 is 64bit only.

Other than that check out CBT Nuggets are TestOut, both are very helpful.
  • Options
    Would anyone be so kind to actually post a link to the books they mean? I found one?
    MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-640): Configuring Windows Server® 2008 Active Directory®

Is this the microsoft press book?
  • Options
    ltgenspecificltgenspecific Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Lozzano wrote: »
    Would anyone be so kind to actually post a link to the books they mean? I found one?
    MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-640): Configuring Windows Server® 2008 Active Directory®

Is this the microsoft press book?

Yes, that's the MSPress book for the 70-640.

I've got some recommendations so I'll post some links in a post when I get a chance.

Best advice for this exam... MSPress book + Virtual Machines (of any sort, Virtual Box, etc.) + S2k8 R2 = success.

Lab it up per the MSPress stuff. Reading those particular books can be dry but the labs are where you should be doing most of your learning, IMO.

Good luck! :)

EDIT: Oh and this is going to sound terribly trite but follow MSPress on twitter. It'll give you a good idea of where the sector is heading and you might be able to catch a few beta exams down the road when you're ready for 'em. (i.e. Microsoft Sync beta Exam vouchers were just handed out last month...)
  • Options
    Louie77Louie77 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello,

I have a quick question. I need to find a up todate book for Exame 70-642.

This book I found MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-642): Configuring Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure (PRO-Certification) (PRO-Certification) from what I"m reading has old material.

I guess there is new information on the 70-642 exam that deals with Server 2008 R2 and other stuff.

Does anyone have any good material or a book that is up to date? Please let me know.
  • Options
    hackmerhackmer Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Louie77 wrote: »
    Hello,

I have a quick question. I need to find a up todate book for Exame 70-642.

This book I found MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-642): Configuring Windows Server 2008 Network Infrastructure (PRO-Certification) (PRO-Certification) from what I"m reading has old material.

I guess there is new information on the 70-642 exam that deals with Server 2008 R2 and other stuff.

Does anyone have any good material or a book that is up to date? Please let me know.
    the best one resource is - technet.microsoft.com
    Check up changes between 2008 and R2, and search in technet
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You can use Server 2008 R2 unleashed or Mastering Server 2008 R2 to complement the MS Press books for now. The new MS Press books covering Server 2008 R2 are not released yet. http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcts-mcitp-windows-2008-general/63095-release-dates-ms-press-books-r2-content.html
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.