Options

Retirement

twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
Anyone here know what age you want to retire at?

Has anyone thought about it?

55 would be nice, but it could be 65 for me.

Comments

• Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I think between 46 and 49 would be for me if I do things right.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I am shooting for 50 or younger but it will most likely be 80.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    twodogs62 wrote: »
    Anyone here know what age you want to retire at?

Has anyone thought about it?

55 would be nice, but it could be 65 for me.

Most regular folks here are now resigned to working until they drop. There was a lot of hype about retiring early in the late eighties and nineties but the private pension funds haven't come up with the goods. The cost of everything has risen. Housing has quadrupled.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Define retirement. Do you retire when you stop working, or when you stop working for money (you need)?

IMO it will probably be around 65-70 for most folks. I don't plan on working that long icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I plan to stop working when I'm 60, unless I absolutely love what I'm doing. Staying out of debt, saving money, and investing wisely will give me that option.
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Through an odd circumstance I "retired" the first time at 22. It wasn't a retire from working situation, rather it was a layoff with an option to bridge to retirement, which equaled 5 years of service with that company.

The 2nd time I "retired" was around age 34. This could have been permanent, but that wasn't really the intent. I simply retired from where I had worked for many years as part of my transition into setting up a company. The day after I "retired" I was back at the same company continuing to do work for them.

My current plan is to retire from working in December of the year that I turn 45. This puts it almost exactly 5 years away, and I am on target to hit this goal. I hope to have this company built up enough by then that I can step out of the day-to-day operation and mostly hire smart people to make money and do smart things on my behalf.

MS
  • Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I will stop "working" I will retire to being a professor doing research for the rest of my cognitive life.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I'll probably die working so I'm not worried about it. I expect to punch out around 64 with heart problems or cancer based on family history.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Turgon wrote: »
    Most regular folks here are now resigned to working until they drop. There was a lot of hype about retiring early in the late eighties and nineties but the private pension funds haven't come up with the goods. The cost of everything has risen. Housing has quadrupled.

Good grief... icon_surprised.gif

Retirement? Not for a very long time...
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I really don't expect to ever fully retire. Even if it was merely a part time job or some type of teaching position, I really think I'd just get bored sitting around all day. Plus I've seen a ton of people who retire and then go down hill quickly.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Plus I've seen a ton of people who retire and then go down hill quickly.

Quite right. What do you do if you retire at 55, woodwork? You'll be dead at 60 from absence of purpose.
  • Options
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    Quite right. What do you do if you retire at 55, woodwork? You'll be dead at 60 from absence of purpose.

Chase whores and drive Ferraris. Not necessarily in that order. I think that will keep anyone alive.

MS
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I plan on being worm food by 54, so dunno...
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    eMeS wrote: »
    Chase whores and drive Ferraris. Not necessarily in that order. I think that will keep anyone alive.

MS

Speaking of whores. You never see Dynamik around here much these days...
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yup I'm resigned to the fact that there will be no such thing as retirement for me...will probably die in a cube somewhere lol
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Assuming I'm still at the same job that I'm currently at, I am looking at retirement when I'm 55. I would have had 35 years in the pension system and will have 64% of the average of my 3 highest salaries from the pension alone. Coupled with the voluntary deferred compensation I contribute the maximum amount in, I should be able to supplment the difference for 15+ years before SS kicks in [assuming that Ponzi scheme is still around when I'm 70...icon_lol.gif]. I plan on getting out of Jersey and moving down South..(so far, it's looking like Austin, TX, but that could always change.)

If I do "retire" I want to travel/adjunct teach somewhere...if I'm not teaching, I'll be active in some community involvement. When you do nothing, you become susceptible to an assortment of mental illness. That's not good....
  • Options
    mickeycoronadomickeycoronado Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I plan to retire today, I bought a lotto ticket this morning as a matter of fact.
    "Are you suggesting that coconuts are migratory?!"
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think Turgon hit the nail on the head. Pension funds promise security but are usually the first thing to miraculously be destroyed during each stock market recession. I see them now as nothing more than cash siphons and legalised ponzi schemes.
    I my move on from IT as I get older but I don't see myself ever simply stopping. I get restless very easily. I think if I'm ever comfortable enough to stop having to do 9-5 I'll go back to writing music full time.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Ahriakin wrote: »
    I my move on from IT as I get older but I don't see myself ever simply stopping. I get restless very easily. I think if I'm ever comfortable enough to stop having to do 9-5 I'll go back to writing music full time.

^^This

Even if you are talking about the money to do it, many people are not wired to retire. i.e. Gates, Ellison, Jobs, Buffet, Pickens, Branson, the list goes on. I look at retirement as waiting to die. I will always be working and since I will be doing that it might as well be for money. Retirement is a fairly modern concept and had no meaning to our ancestors.

When you are too old to hunt, teach the young braves how to read buffalo s**t.
    Never stop; never quit or it is time for a warm bath and a razor blade, Frankie five fingers style.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I will hit shutdown when I'm @65 then go see the world.
  • Options
    Speaking of whores. You never see Dynamik around here much these days...

I got an email from him the other day. Whores often have to move to new grounds, as people tend to get tired of having spaghetti everyday, which tends to drive their prices down...

MS
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    eMeS wrote: »
    Through an odd circumstance I "retired" the first time at 22. It wasn't a retire from working situation, rather it was a layoff with an option to bridge to retirement, which equaled 5 years of service with that company.

MS

I had a similar situation at 30... if I had stayed with them, I could have retired for real at 50... but i hated that job
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark