Options

Security certification required for job

Hokie4LifeHokie4Life Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all. I am currently an Oracle DBA but some new regulations have come down requiring me to hold a certification for the environment that I support (Oracle) and a security certification. The Oracle cert I have no problem with however, I don't dwell a whole lot in network security. I am required to attain one of the following certifications: GSEC, Security+, SCNP or SSCP.

I would appreciate some advice on which one of these would likely be the easiest to attain.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Eric

Comments

• Options
    Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    I'm not familiar with the SCNP certification, but I'm willing to bet that the Security+ would still venture out to be the easiest for you to obtain. It has some very good information contained in it, but is still more of a broad overview of security components which should be easier to follow along with since you don't have much previous knowledge on the subject.

Darril Gibson's "Get Certified, Get Ahead" book is incredibly well written for the Security+ exam and I know that myself and several others have passed the examination solely off of this resource alone. Although since you don't have much prior knowledge you may want to use other resources alongside it, it will still more than likely be your primary learning tool on the subject.

Edit: Just looked into the SCNP road-path recommendations and they're listing Security+ as the logical starting point for that, so yes it appears all roads are leading to Security+ being your certification of choice. Also the fact that there are no prerequisites for the Security+ certification is a welcoming start point as well.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome!

GSEC is going to be the most costly and probably the most difficult and costly. $900 (challenge) or $3500 (with class). You would probably learn the most with this one.

SSCP is going to be the next most in terms of difficultly and cost. 250-300 depending on when you register. Also this test isn't offered all the time so you will have to find a seminar to take it. It also has continuing education requirements so if you don't work in infosec or have a decent interest, you may have trouble racking the points up.

Security+ is probably the defacto standard for entry level security certifications. Cost can be 175-265 (depending on vouchers), is offered all the time and is relatively easy. As of the first of the year, this also have continuing education requirements, previously it was lifetime. This is probably what you want to start with.

SCNP I didn't think they were offering it anymore. I am almost 100% the cert is discontinued. I can't remember the cost.
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hokie4Life wrote: »
    Hello all. I am currently an Oracle DBA but some new regulations have come down requiring me to hold a certification for the environment that I support (Oracle) and a security certification. The Oracle cert I have no problem with however, I don't dwell a whole lot in network security. I am required to attain one of the following certifications: GSEC, Security+, SCNP or SSCP.

I would appreciate some advice on which one of these would likely be the easiest to attain.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Eric

Security+ will be the easiest by far. SCNP is harder and is not known by anyone really. gsec and sscp is security+ on crack+speed so I would not go for those if your looking for the easiest. Also the Security+ will be the cheapest to take and study for. SCNP is cheaper to take but cost more to study for. Like Lemonade727 said get darrils book and study it hard for a month and go pass it.
  • Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions. Security+ it will be.
  • Options
    Hey everyone...I passed the Sec+ exam (SY0-201) exam yesterday with flying colors. I took the SkillPort Sec+ CBTs, a Sec+ prep course (live training) and Transcender practice tests. I was starting to get discouraged with my scores from Transcender but the instructor told us that the practice tests are setup that way by design. I guess he was right.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats on a job well done.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,029 Admin
    Congratz on passing Sec+ icon_cheers.gif
    Hokie4Life wrote: »
    I was starting to get discouraged with my scores from Transcender but the instructor told us that the practice tests are setup that way by design. I guess he was right.
    Practice exams are often designed to teach the exam's material and are not meant to be an accurate simulation of the actual exam. Your score is therefore indicating how well you have learned the material and not necessarily how well you will do on the actual exam.