Options

switch

impzimpz Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
So my first batch of 1721 routers (2) finally arrived and I had to pay 40USD just to ship it from America to where I live. The weight of these 2 came up to about 10 lbs and from my knowledge 1 of the 2950 switch weigh around the same amount. Now the average price of the 2950 is $40 and I was thinking instead of buying the the 2950 because the of high shipping cost that I would have to pay, I should just get 1 3550 SMI and 1 3550 PWR SMI and one 2950T so that I could use them for the CCNP(if I ever decide to go there) and for the CCNA Voice. What you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Well for now the 3550's aren't very good with IPv6 so that's a consideration. But they are still by far the most affordable Cisco layer 3 switches. The PWR models are cool as they eliminate the need for the DC blocks (although if you are getting things shipped from the US to wherever you are, we obviously wouldn't know how you power up devices).

Good luck with your lab.

:)
  • Options
    impzimpz Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Netwurk wrote: »
    Well for now the 3550's aren't very good with IPv6 so that's a consideration. But they are still by far the most affordable Cisco layer 3 switches. The PWR models are cool as they eliminate the need for the DC blocks (although if you are getting things shipped from the US to wherever you are, we obviously wouldn't know how you power up devices).

Good luck with your lab.

:)

I was thinking about the PWR model cuz I heard that if you dont have PoE, you'll need to buy a separate PWR for the IP phones for Voice and when i checked up on the prices for those it wasn't cheap lol.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    impz wrote: »
    I was thinking about the PWR model cuz I heard that if you dont have PoE, you'll need to buy a separate PWR for the IP phones for Voice and when i checked up on the prices for those it wasn't cheap lol.

The power bricks for the phones and/or access points are not expensive if you buy them separately since many folks discard them after they get a PoE switch. Of course I'm talking USA, so this advice may not help you.