Options

Loads of CCNA questions...

CompUBugCompUBug Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
First and foremost, I did read the FAQ sticky at the very top and I have loaded some of the links.

I am basically very intimidated with this exam and I have been for the past two years I've been planning to take it. I've done some studying here and there and know some concepts but time has tainted some of my knowledge and skill. For example I have to "re-learn" how to find the available number of hosts for a network and subnetting and on top of that I have to figure out the address schemes for those hosts.

Then there is NAT, DHCP, OSPF, EIGRP, RIP (V2), BGP, that I'm feeling very in-confident about... I'm trying to get hands on lab experience with these...

I'm majoring in Networking and Communications Management at DeVry and I'm near graduating and I can't find a job that will hire in this field at entry level what-so-ever... Can I get any advice here? Will I most DEFINATELY need the CCNA to get a position as a Network Administrator?

The CCNA, there is ALOT of knowledge in this test... how exactly did you manage to retain it all?

I'm looking at a video on Subnetting right now... but what is the quickest most efficient way of subnetting an IP scheme (address and subnet mask) aswell as determine the values for the hosts and where these values begin and end? The exam isnt very lenient on time so I hear...

What was your CCNA experience like?

Comments

• Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I can tell you that a CCNA will do you know good if you can't answer interview questions for a Jr. Network Engineer position. The subnetting method doesn't matter. Use ANY method that works, go to subnetting.org and do the problems on there until your brain bleeds. I've been doing this for an hour a day for the past week. What winds up happening is you remember things that you were having to figure out when you started, so less work. More practice = less work. If you get the problems wrong, figure out WHY you were wrong.

Have you checked out freeccnaworkbook.com ? It's an awesome way to get moving if you are self-motivated and an independent learner.

As far as jobs go, couch surfing the interwebs looking on careerbuilder.com might not be working out, but if you put in 500 applications, I bet you'll have a job. Applying for a job should be your full time job if you want to be a network engineer.

Expect to get interviews and not get the job. Those interviews are not failures. They're PRACTICE interviews for the job that you wind up getting.

One more thing....send your resume to companies that are Cisco partners in your area AFTER you get your CCNA. Partner Locator-Partner Central - Cisco Systems
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    CompUBug wrote: »
    I'm looking at a video on Subnetting right now... but what is the quickest most efficient way of subnetting an IP scheme (address and subnet mask) aswell as determine the values for the hosts and where these values begin and end? The exam isnt very lenient on time so I hear...

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/38772-subnetting-made-easy.html
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    Getting a job as a jr. network engineer will be LOADS easier with CCNA.

Its likely that you'll find a job doing some flavor of NOC Tech, which can do very little, or everything under the sun.

If it were me I would not rely on my degree alone and I would certainly go for CCENT then CCNA....and get used to studying and learning this stuff, or you will have a difficult time progressing in the field.

CCNA well the keyboard stopped working during the test and the proctor took 20mins to replace it...and the test expired, so I need to retake it....at the time I took a job that required CEH/CISSP, so CCNA got the back seat.

I used CBT Nuggets for CCNA as my main study material, but before that I took Ciscos Networking Academy for CCNA when I was in community college.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • Options
    Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Its not an easy course, but if you expose yourself everyday to it, it becomes much easier. I study around 2 hours a day, and it sticks once you apply it on packet tracer or even a home lab.

Right now im trying to set up static routes between 3 routers. Setting it up, I made a few errors with my IP addresses. I made a few more with the CLI commands. Even with subjects not relating to static routing, your learning much more broadly while learning something specific, which is something I really love about the CCNA.

For subnetting, I memorized the mask for each CIDR notation, so for class C, 25/ is 128, 26/ is 192 etc.

In my head, I know 192 is 2 bits (11000000 is 192), so I add up to the power of two he rest without the first 2 bits (00111111 is 32) 32 is the block size. Using the block size I can find out what subnet a host is on or if its a network or broadcast address.

I have not tried Class A or B, but I know its similar, just more numbers to add up, so /9 would be 128, with 23 0's left for hosts?) let me know if thats right or not

If you enjoy the course, it really helps. Im just going to throw this out on the forum, but I love routing. Maybe its because I'm still not employed yet in IT, but everything in the course I find very fascinating and that is a big bonus when studying.
    Kai.
  • Options
    Darian929Darian929 Member Posts: 197
    For subnetting I suggest the CBT nuggets explanations because I find it to be very easy. But even if you watch them and do not practice them.. then it's no use. Practice practice practice.
  • Options
    CompUBugCompUBug Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    miller811 wrote: »

You sir... are the fricken MAN icon_cheers.gif

I've NEVER caught on to Sub netting in such little time... I feel as this stuff is manageable now... Thank you SO much!
  • Options
    VinUnleadedVinUnleaded Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow I did not know Cisco had a partners locator! This motivate me to get my CCNA even more. I LOVE THIS FORUM!
    ehnde wrote: »
    I can tell you that a CCNA will do you know good if you can't answer interview questions for a Jr. Network Engineer position. The subnetting method doesn't matter. Use ANY method that works, go to subnetting.org and do the problems on there until your brain bleeds. I've been doing this for an hour a day for the past week. What winds up happening is you remember things that you were having to figure out when you started, so less work. More practice = less work. If you get the problems wrong, figure out WHY you were wrong.

Have you checked out freeccnaworkbook.com ? It's an awesome way to get moving if you are self-motivated and an independent learner.

As far as jobs go, couch surfing the interwebs looking on careerbuilder.com might not be working out, but if you put in 500 applications, I bet you'll have a job. Applying for a job should be your full time job if you want to be a network engineer.

Expect to get interviews and not get the job. Those interviews are not failures. They're PRACTICE interviews for the job that you wind up getting.

One more thing....send your resume to companies that are Cisco partners in your area AFTER you get your CCNA. Partner Locator-Partner Central - Cisco Systems
  • Options
    cisco_certscisco_certs Member Posts: 119
    CompUBug wrote: »
    First and foremost, I did read the FAQ sticky at the very top and I have loaded some of the links.

I am basically very intimidated with this exam and I have been for the past two years I've been planning to take it. I've done some studying here and there and know some concepts but time has tainted some of my knowledge and skill. For example I have to "re-learn" how to find the available number of hosts for a network and subnetting and on top of that I have to figure out the address schemes for those hosts.

Then there is NAT, DHCP, OSPF, EIGRP, RIP (V2), BGP, that I'm feeling very in-confident about... I'm trying to get hands on lab experience with these...

I'm majoring in Networking and Communications Management at DeVry and I'm near graduating and I can't find a job that will hire in this field at entry level what-so-ever... Can I get any advice here? Will I most DEFINATELY need the CCNA to get a position as a Network Administrator?

The CCNA, there is ALOT of knowledge in this test... how exactly did you manage to retain it all?

What was your CCNA experience like?
    You will need more than a CCNA to become a network admin. Depending on your location you might need 5 years experience in NOC + CCNA or maybe CCNP.

You retain it all by working on cisco and networking 8hrs a day and studying at home.

My CCNA experience was like 6 months of hell but it was worth if after getting a NOC job. lol