Options

Certification Track

barksdale04barksdale04 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys, I will be getting my bachelors in Information Security and Assurance soon. I was studying for the A+ and am now starting to think twice about taking the exam. I just found out that the cert wont last a life time anymore. My reason for taking the exam was because I just wanted something to get me started on the IT track. Most people say that its very hard to win an entry level infosec job (I have no experience in I.T. yet). I wanted you guys advice about which direction I should go on the road to infosec and should I include the now expensive A+ exam.

Comments

• Options
    ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    Hi guys, I will be getting my bachelors in Information Security and Assurance soon. I was studying for the A+ and am now starting to think twice about taking the exam. I just found out that the cert wont last a life time anymore. My reason for taking the exam was because I just wanted something to get me started on the IT track. Most people say that its very hard to win an entry level infosec job (I have no experience in I.T. yet). I wanted you guys advice about which direction I should go on the road to infosec and should I include the now expensive A+ exam.

Personally, id skip A+.

I would focus on networking certs then security certs if you want the the best chance of breaking into Info Sec.

something like Network+ > Security+ > CCNA

When you are looking at InfoSec jobs you should pay close attention to DoDD 8570 certifications. IA jobs they really value a wealth of IT knowledge because you aren't just dealing with networks, but I think studying for the above certs will do a lot to develop skills that could lead to an entry level network monitoring role (IDS stuff).

P.S. when studying for Security+ be sure to play with a lot of the tools you learn about. SO play with vulnerability scanners, protocol analyzers, exploit engines, password crackers, IDS (Snort), and more. Doing so will look very good for you.... I would even have a section on your resume called "Technical Lab Experience" Then go into detail about what technology you have worked with in a lab environment.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • Options
    barksdale04barksdale04 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great reply. Thanks, I regret to say this but I really do agree with you. I regret it because all the reading Ive been doin for the A+ is useless. I will get a network+ book today. What do you guys think about the linux/unix path?