Options

question about connecting a dial-up modem to a router

exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
I plan on getting a cheap prepaid dial-up plan for backup. Does anybody know of any dial-up modems out there that have a standard Ethernet jack that can be connected to a router?

Comments

• Options
    I got my external modem this morning, tried it with FreeDialup.org - Free Dialup Internet - Surf Free or Die from the hearts of New Hampshire.... Everything was working, until I tried to load a Youtube video then got disconnected. I haven't been successful in reconnecting ever since. I don't know they got upset with me trying to use Youtube or if it's an issue with running dial-up over VOIP.

Question: Is it normal to get 600 ms latency with dial-up?
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    exampasser wrote: »
    i plan on getting a cheap prepaid dial-up plan for backup.
    You can get prepaid PSTN lines?
    Does anybody know of any dial-up modems out there that have a standard ethernet jack that can be connected to a router?
    If you really want one with an ethernet interface then a 2600 + NM-8AM/NM-16AM will do it.
  • Options
    Question: Is it normal to get 600 ms latency with dial-up?
    No. 100-200 is about average for a real phone line if I remember correctly. It depends on what your line quality is, what type of modem standard you're using and whether the other end is digital or analog.

You're going to get odd latency and awful speed if you're trying to run it over a VoIP connection that isn't rated to handle data though. Even lines which are okay to run fax machines on will only give you ~14.4k at best.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    You can get prepaid PSTN lines?

I didn't mean a PSTN line, sorry for the confusion.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    No. 100-200 is about average for a real phone line if I remember correctly. It depends on what your line quality is, what type of modem standard you're using and whether the other end is digital or analog.

You're going to get odd latency and awful speed if you're trying to run it over a VoIP connection that isn't rated to handle data though. Even lines which are okay to run fax machines on will only give you ~14.4k at best.

Thanks for the information, I tried Netzero's free service and I still had latency in the 400-500 ms range, so it does appear that running it over VoIP is causing the latency issues.
  • Options
    I didn't mean a PSTN line, sorry for the confusion.
    You mean VoIP then? If you've got VoIP then you've got regular internet access anyway so why would you need a backup line?

If you really do want a secondary backup without actually installing another physical line then get a router that can accept a 3G cell dongle.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    IQuestion: Is it normal to get 600 ms latency with dial-up?

Very. I used to play WoW on dial up and 200 is like the best I ever saw. In the high hundreds or low thousands was typical, and every now and then I could hit 25k if standing in the right place at the right time. Oh, good times
    Decide what to be and go be it.