Options

Virgin Media VMDG280 - replacements?

qwerty_faceqwerty_face Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I've recently had Virgin Media's (fibre) broadband connected (UK). It's Fibre-to-The-Cabinet and comes from the local terminal to my place through a coaxial cable.

To put it bluntly, and excuse my language, the Netgear VMDG280 is shite. For instance, I am regularly cut off when traffic volume gets high.

It's naff.

So I am looking for a replacement, but have no experience with modems or modem/router combinations that take a coax cable.

I am a fan of DD-WRT firmware for Linksys and other compatible hardware, so something that I can customise would be great, if poss.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
QF.

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Its a cable modem and owned by VM. You're not supposed to replace it at all and from what I can tell, the ability for it to operate in bridge mode only with your own router isn't actually in the firmware yet. Call them up and see if you can get them to send you a standalone modem instead of the combined modem/router you've currently got. Once Netgear/VM actually fix the firmware, they won't send out standalone modems.

As for routers, I'd say the Mikrotik 750G or 450G. I'm using the 450G with my BT FTTC line and its been rock solid. Good performance at a decent price with lots of features. It normally runs RouterOS which is a Mikrotik customised Linux distribution but you don't get access to the Linux side. You can use OpenWRT on it if you wish or if you get the 450G, you can do something called MetaROUTER which is a Mikrotik term for VMs.