Options

CEH - Home individual Study

ablakeablake Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Can anybody advise on the CEH course that you can purchase from EC Council.

I am a teacher of technology and looking to improve my understanding of security which in turn I can teach my students.

The course is on the below link - is it user friendly and can be installed easily and run off a laptop.

Security Training, CEH, Ethical Hacking, Penetration Testing, Certified Ethical Hacker, Certified Hacker, Information Security Training, Computer security Training, Information Security Certification

Thanks

Andrew Blake

Comments

• Options
    ibcritnibcritn Member Posts: 340
    I didn't take their course, but I did use their books which were very good.

I used PrepLogic's course + Ec-council 5 book set + tons of labs that I created.

CEH is a really fun cert to study for and if you need help making labs id be more then happy to help you lay out some lab ideas.
    CISSP | GCIH | CEH | CNDA | LPT | ECSA | CCENT | MCTS | A+ | Net+ | Sec+

Next Up: Linux+/RHCSA, GCIA
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My employer has given me $2,500 for continuing education and ill be using that for this and a few others
  • Options
    Fugazi1000Fugazi1000 Member Posts: 145
    Andrew,

I'm not sure the C|EH is what you want - their training is to get you certified. If you self-study you need to have 2 years verified InfoSec experience. It is also very 'tools/techniques' focused.

Depending upon the level of detail needed by your students you might like to consider Security+ - which gives the broad intro level required or look at some books/courses for CISSP - which is also broad rather than deep but has a little more substance than Security+ but has a greater expectation of experience of the whole IT Lifecycle.
  • Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Fugazi1000 wrote: »
    Andrew,

I'm not sure the C|EH is what you want - their training is to get you certified. If you self-study you need to have 2 years verified InfoSec experience. It is also very 'tools/techniques' focused.

Depending upon the level of detail needed by your students you might like to consider Security+ - which gives the broad intro level required or look at some books/courses for CISSP - which is also broad rather than deep but has a little more substance than Security+ but has a greater expectation of experience of the whole IT Lifecycle.

I agree with Fugazi as the CEH does not teach you about Security in a general sense. CEH is focused on Hacker tools, use and basic methodology. If you want a high level overview look into Security+. It does not have as sexy a name but it is better for teaching actual security basics. Another option would be the GSEC but that is very expensive.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    EDIT: After reviewing your post history, I withdrew my earlier assessment.

I suggest that you perhaps suppliment your own knowledge with the SANS GSIF or GSEC, CEH is not a broad security cert, it is very targeted towards penetration testers. I suggest you get a really good grasp of security foundations which you can get from the Security+, GSIF, or GSEC.