Options

Job interview coming up

spookyspooky Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi people, :D

I have a interview coming up as a customer support engineer, and i know one of the questions is why do you want to work for our company.....Well what i want to know is what type of answer would be a safe answer for this type of question??? icon_rolleyes.gif
Also does anyone know where i can learn about subnet, subnet mask cos i think i really need to polish up on it.

thanx inadvance

spooky

Comments

• Options
    jsondjsond Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Spooky.

As someone who has interviewed for 4 positions in the past 8 months I know a little about expected questions. As for the one you mention:

I think the most important thing is to be honest and genuine. Why do you want to work at this company? Why are you applying there instead of somewhere else? Is it because you think the environment will be fun and energetic? Do you think it will suit your personality and that you might fit in there?

The interviewer wants to find out if you're the sort of person who will succeed at the company. That's what you want, too. You don't want a job you'll fail at. So, like I said, I think it's important to be open and honest. Be yourself. Show your genuine enthusiasm for the position.

Also research the company, visit their website if they have one. Find some specifics that set them apart from other companies. I just got a job at trusecure and after visiting their website found some excellent info that helped in my interview.

Hope that helps. As someone who was doing very basic tech support with not much of a background in networking/security I consider myself very fortunate to have gotten the job. Once I was hired my boss said he was impressed with my enthusiasm and I think a follow up thank-you letter is essential. He told me out of 8 people that they interviewed I was the only one to send a follow up thank you letter, which I found surprising.

Also search google for "job interview questions". You will find a ton of helpful links and good answers for the popular questions such as "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?", "What are your strengths/weaknesses", etc.

Good luck!

edited to add ip subnetting link:

http://www.pantz.org/networking/tcpip/subnetchart.shtml

I read about 3 tutorials before this one and this was the one that was most helpful to me. Again, to each his own but this one broke it down to me where it was easily understandable. But if you google "ip subnetting" you will find many helpful links. Also check out www.learntosubnet.com for a helpful audio/visual link.
  • Options
    TranscenderMichaelTranscenderMichael Member Posts: 187
    It's hard to follow up that post - I can merely agree with what was said. Jsond gives great advice, especially on researching the company on the Web before you go in. Know what makes the company different or better than the rest.

Also, like Jsond suggests, be honest and genuine. The interviewers will know if you're simply trying to schmooze them. If you're really interested in working there, they'll know. :) And a good personality (and at this point in your life, you've either got one or you don't) will go a long way in an interview.

Best of luck!
    TranscenderMichael (at hotmail.com)
    MCSE+I, MCDST, MCDBA, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CNE, CCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, A+
    Kaplan IT
    Powering Transcender and Self Test Software
    Served proudly, USArmy, 98C, '89-'92
  • Options
    spookyspooky Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi :D

Thanks alot for the advice i got from you all. i will definately take it on board and try and be myself.
    When i go for an interview i will have a written technical exam but what on i dont know...I was also told if i had any questions on it i can ring up and ask, so do you think i should enquire about what it will be about ??????? icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanx inadvance
    spooky
  • Options
    TranscenderMichaelTranscenderMichael Member Posts: 187
    spooky wrote:
    Hi :D

Thanks alot for the advice i got from you all. i will definately take it on board and try and be myself.
    When i go for an interview i will have a written technical exam but what on i dont know...I was also told if i had any questions on it i can ring up and ask, so do you think i should enquire about what it will be about ??????? icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanx inadvance
    spooky

You can... but you would probably impress them more if you performed well on an exam for which you had no preparation time or foreknowledge. If I were you, I would just do as good as I possibly could.
    TranscenderMichael (at hotmail.com)
    MCSE+I, MCDST, MCDBA, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CNE, CCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, A+
    Kaplan IT
    Powering Transcender and Self Test Software
    Served proudly, USArmy, 98C, '89-'92