Options

Old computer ads + Atari !

UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

Comments

• Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    Awesome! Vintage Computing has some good old school magazine ad scans as well.

There are times I really do pine for the good old days, when just getting a word processing program to run could be an adventure in itself. Ahhhh, memories.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    LOL love these. Tandy Professional for 8499 - Mouse AND monitor not included.
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Is it sad that I remember some of these ads from my old magazines?

Dang... what was that magazine called? Was for the C64, and had page after page of hex to type in to run programs. I'm going to have to look it up now or it'll bug me all day.

[edit] I think it was possibly the Compute! Gazette. This page looks hauntingly familiar.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ComputesGazetteProgramPage.jpg

The fun part was spending like 4 hours typing page after page of that in, then try to avoid turning the thing off since there was no way to save it at the time.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    Those were fun times, I was a kid but I remember that in my mind the computer was this fancy thing with black or green screen that can do very impressive things, and we all got this idea from movies I guess.

I still have my Atari somewhere, good times icon_mrgreen.gif

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    mickeycoronadomickeycoronado Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow, $3500 for a 10 Megabyte hard disk? I thought that must have been 3500 yen at first. Couldn't you almost buy a car for that much back then?
    "Are you suggesting that coconuts are migratory?!"
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    Atari memories anybody ?? icon_lol.gif!
    Many, like the squeaky sound of a game loading from tape for example, or worse, failing to load. This was my first computer (technically my brother's but he got bored with it) icon_arrow.gifAtari 800XL. I used to sneak out of bed and have late night coding sessions icon_lol.gif (typing game code from a book).
    I still have my Atari somewhere, good times icon_mrgreen.gif
    Yeah great times, there was still something magical about computers back then. I think/hope mine is somewhere in the attic at my parents.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I love those old ads.. some are so cheesy. I was going to post a couple of my favorites, one from 1954....but the image upload is failing at my work..
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Xmas morning, dad and older brother won't let 11 yr old me near the new C64 while they're trying to get it to load a game, so I sit back and actually read the manual and get it working when they step away. I always look back on that as my first bit of tech support icon_lol.gif
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Ahriakin wrote: »
    Xmas morning, dad and older brother won't let 11 yr old me near the new C64 while they're trying to get it to load a game, so I sit back and actually read the manual and get it working when they step away. I always look back on that as my first bit of tech support icon_lol.gif

That's awesome.. :)

I remember my first 386SX. It came with a stout 8 megs of non-parity RAM. Even I knew it made a turtle look fast on tar paper.. I had to figure out how to improve it, and thus began my IT career...
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    millworxmillworx Member Posts: 290
    http://file.vintageadbrowser.com/vfh1fkzc7tih0a.jpg

This one is kind of new, but I find it to be rather racist on Intel's part. Who approved that?
    Currently Reading:
    CCIE: Network Security Principals and Practices
    CCIE: Routing and Switching Exam Certification Guide
  • Options
    Jack2Jack2 Member Posts: 153
    :) I have an original atari Arcade system in my office at home. Not the home system but the full yellow cabinet. Still works fine! not very exciting compare to games today. But in the day it could be very addicting.

I also have an original copy of Byte magazine announcing the IBM PC.
    Kinda cool to read the adds in in the magazine.
    WGU Courses Completed at WGU: CPW3, EWB2, WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, TNV1| TSV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CVV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, TXP1, TYP1, CUV1, TXC1, TYC1, CJV1
    Classes Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 ,1LC1, 1MC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1
    WGU Graduate - BSIT 2014
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Stumbled on some more Atari commercials today, these are videos though:
    Random Terrain: A random repository of interests and information
  • Options
    Webmaster wrote: »
    Stumbled on some more Atari commercials today, these are videos though:
    Random Terrain: A random repository of interests and information

these comercials are awesome icon_lol.gif