Options

Jobs takes medical leave from Apple again

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□

Comments

• Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I hope he gets better , i wish him and his family a safe recovery.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    The Apple stock price will probably tank yet again because Steve is temporarily not at the helm. Bit silly it does as Steve can't be making every single decision in the company down to the individual component choice and UI layout.

Despite what feelings people may have about Steve himself, Apple, their products and the associated pricing, some of the comments on that article are just unbelieveable. The amount of hatred for Apple which then gets pushed onto Steve is incredible. Somebody may be my worst enemy and I wouldn't wish some of stuff being said onto them!
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Meh Apple is the new Micro$oft as far as online bashing goes. I remember my old Slashdot surfing days and how evil Microsoft was.
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    Despite what feelings people may have about Steve himself, Apple, their products and the associated pricing, some of the comments on that article are just unbelieveable. The amount of hatred for Apple which then gets pushed onto Steve is incredible. Somebody may be my worst enemy and I wouldn't wish some of stuff being said onto them!

That's just tall poppy syndrome, it's human nature. The bigger they are, the greater and easier the target.
  • Options
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    Meh Apple is the new Micro$oft as far as online bashing goes. I remember my old Slashdot surfing days and how evil Microsoft was.
    Apple is the 300 lbs gorilla still considered the underdog for some bizarre reason. I believe the new evil empire is Facebook which is closely followed by Google.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Apple is the 300 lbs gorilla still considered the underdog for some bizarre reason. I believe the new evil empire is Facebook which is closely followed by Google.

True enough...
  • Options

I can see the Microsoft deal because their OS was the mainstream, people worked with Windows and naturally bought Windows because really there was not much choice.

With Apple its like "who cares?" I mean its not like they are forcing people to buy their stuff, its not like their computers are in the majority of work places or even a minority. The iPod and iPhone became popular with the masses by choice. Its like people complain because if something becomes popular with the mainstream, the online community has to try and knock it down.

When I was trying to learn Linux years ago everybody told me Redhat was the way to go. When Redhat started making major deals with mainstream IT vendors, the online community started saying "Redhat sold out, screw em" go Slackware.

I swear its like they were going to eventually go back to DOS because hardly anybody uses it and they can reclaim it for their own.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    The Apple stock price will probably tank yet again because Steve is temporarily not at the helm.

That's what I thought too when I saw it yesterday. I was surprised that Apple stock actually closed 2 points up for the day.

Bit then I just looked at it currently, and it's down 6 points today, so I guess this is making some folks nervous.
  • Options
    I swear its like they were going to eventually go back to DOS because hardly anybody uses it and they can reclaim it for their own.
    Pfft. I was totally into <blah> before <blah> became popular and well known! Screw <blah>! I'm gonna go use/watch/listen something else now!
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The Apple stock price will probably tank yet again because Steve is temporarily not at the helm. Bit silly it does as Steve can't be making every single decision in the company down to the individual component choice and UI layout.

Of course not. He has brilliant people working for him. People are stupid sometimes.
  • Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think Jobs gets too much specific credit for Apple's successes as they are right now. I completely agree that he is at the helm and and controls the direction and drive of them company but people forget he has an entire design and engineering team who actually do the work.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Chris:/* wrote: »
    I think Jobs gets too much specific credit for Apple's successes as they are right now. I completely agree that he is at the helm and and controls the direction and drive of them company but people forget he has an entire design and engineering team who actually do the work.

Very true. Its a corporation. There are expert technical teams working within Apple whos output would take Jobs 100 years to generate badly if he was to try and do it alone.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    The problem is that investors see Steve as the great savior. Apple did ok when he was there the first time, then he leaves and Apple starts sinking, to the point where Microsoft has to sink money into them to keep them afloat, and then Steve comes back and Apple starts showing record profits.

So whether it's reasonable or not, Jobs health is going to have a direct effect on the stock. This is probably why he absolutely refuses to talk about it.
  • Options
    BeachBeach Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Might be an alright time to get in on some stocks....if it dips enough.
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    That's just tall poppy syndrome, it's human nature. The bigger they are, the greater and easier the target.

Their mantra "Do No Evil" is pure BS if you ask me. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    cablegod wrote: »
    Their mantra "Do No Evil" is pure BS if you ask me. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
    Its Google that has the "do no evil" type policy not Apple which is what mikedisd2 was replying about.
  • Options
    I think Facebook is a bigger threat. People get way too comfortable with that site. Young people looking to get into politics are going to get hammered with Facebook archives lol.
  • Options
    I think Facebook is a bigger threat.
    Amazingly enough, Facebook actually reversed a recent "enhancement" to your privacy. They made it so that apps could request your home address and telephone number with an extra permission flag but due to the sheer number of complaints, they took it out again after only 3 days.
    People get way too comfortable with that site. Young people looking to get into politics are going to get hammered with Facebook archives lol.
    Yup. Instead of the old "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" phrases, its now what happens in Vegas stays on Facebook forever ;)

I don't see too many issues with using Facebook if you're sensible about what information you put up there. If you keep it to a minimum then you should be fine IMO. Thats not to say that everybody else does this. I've seen people with pretty much their entire life up there along with enough PI to easily steal their identity.
  • Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The problem is that investors see Steve as the great savior. Apple did ok when he was there the first time, then he leaves and Apple starts sinking, to the point where Microsoft has to sink money into them to keep them afloat, and then Steve comes back and Apple starts showing record profits.

So whether it's reasonable or not, Jobs health is going to have a direct effect on the stock. This is probably why he absolutely refuses to talk about it.

I agree Jobs is an outstanding businessman much like Gates but both are known to higher brilliant men/women and correctly kill poor projects. When you look at the companies when they are doing well I look at the lead developers of the specific projects that are making the companies profitable.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Beach wrote: »
    Might be an alright time to get in on some stocks....if it dips enough.

Generally, it pays to buy low and sell high, not buy with a dip or downslide.

IIRC Apple just posted a new high recently....so buying now would be a little late into the game....

I read an article on Apple the past day or so and it seemed to give a fair amount of credit to 3 (or 4) other individuals in addition to Steve...Whether Apple is liked or not I don't think matters too much. Whoever is on 'top' gets the most press (good, bad, and otherwise). So, Apple makes a significant announcement...they'll be getting crap for a while. Either way, we and many others are 'talking' about Apple which continues to spread the brand around.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Chris:/* wrote: »
    I agree Jobs is an outstanding businessman much like Gates but both are known to higher brilliant men/women and correctly kill poor projects. When you look at the companies when they are doing well I look at the lead developers of the specific projects that are making the companies profitable.

I forgot where I read this, but I remember Bill Gates attributing his company's sustainablity and success to his top 8-10 people in his organization. His champions where true champions. The CEO for Exxon, I forget his name, but he made a similar statement, saying if it wasn't for a hand full of his top executives his company wouldn't of shown solid growth.

It sounds like to me that CEO is the centerpiece and a focal point, but the supporting case just underneath him is the infrastructure that keeps the company together.

I'll use baseball, football or cricket for or foreign brothers. You only have so many talented people each year born who can play those sports at a high enough level to actually compete. I believe that is the case in business and engineering. You only have a small percentage of these people born each year. I think development and education can nuture the talent, but you only have so much per year.
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just wish him quick recovery, Apple is not the same without him.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I think Facebook is a bigger threat. People get way too comfortable with that site. Young people looking to get into politics are going to get hammered with Facebook archives lol.

I don't think it is limited to the 'young' though. Many of the young I've seen don't even consider any negatives about posting 'everything'.

However, I've seen older friends who list WAY too much about their famiiles and such...I don't see FB as 'dangerous' just not necessary. So, I won't play the game, but I continue to be amazed at how many retailers are dismissing their customers who DON'T have FB accounts.

Best wishes to Jobs though!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    They should bring back Woz for a bit.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Bokeh wrote: »
    They should bring back Woz for a bit.

I love the Woz! I actually have a friend I work with who has the same exact last name. We always tease him about it.
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    He works for the company I just took a job with. Hes the Chief Scientist for FusionIO. I saw his office while I was out in CA, he had almost nothing in it.
  • Options
    MrAgent wrote: »
    He works for the company I just took a job with. Hes the Chief Scientist for FusionIO
    Sounds like more of a PR thing than actually him being an expert on Flash technology and leading the company research.
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    Sounds like more of a PR thing than actually him being an expert on Flash technology and leading the company research.

Tiersten, I was referring to Google by the way. Trust me, he is more than a "figurehead" at Fusion-io.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    Tiersten, I was referring to Google by the way.
    Yes. I know. You were quoting mikedisd2 when he was talking about Apple and not Google.
    Trust me, he is more than a "figurehead" at Fusion-io.
    The articles about when he initially joined them gave the impression he was just there to advise the CEO on current trends and not to actually do any technology research. No idea about now.

According to the bio at Fusion-IO, Woz founded the EFF. I guess Kapor, Barlow and Gilmore would be interested about that as they were the ones that founded it. Woz just donated money.