2000 and then 2003 Upgrade?

CzampsCzamps Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been off the scene for quite sometime now. I am looking to go for my MCSE, however...I am unsure on which path to go. I am thinking of doing exams: 210, 215, 216, 217, 220, and 214 and use CompTia's Security+ as the 7th. From there on i'm debating on upgrading with 292 and 296.
Is that possible to do and will that certify me as a MCSE 2000 and 2003? Also, I've read that once you pass a MCSE exam you become an MCP?

I'm sure this has been discussed before. I've trying doing a search with no luck. All and any feedback will be greatly appreciated. icon_confused.gif:

Comments

• janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Hi,

If you pass one M$ exam on any certification track, you're considered MCP.

See here, http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcp/requirements.asp

The track that you've specified will give you MCSE with a security specialty.

See here, http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/security/windows2000.asp

Yes, 292 and 296 will upgrade you to MCSE 2003. If you want that with Security specialty you would also have to take the exams on Windows 2003 for security specialty, 298 & 299.

Best of luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • TranscenderMichaelTranscenderMichael Member Posts: 187
    No need to do a search. There's only one place you need to get the information from: Microsoft's MCSE Requirements Web page.

Certification information can *always* be found on the vendor's Web site. In Microsoft's case, from the home page, click Learning Tools on the left hand side, then click Microsoft Certifications. From there, you can find out anything you need to know.

If you pass one Microsoft exam, you will be an MCP. However, be advised that this will mean little to nothing in the real world. After all, what can an MCP do? Is he or she a programmer? A database admin? A server admin? All it means is that you passed a single exam.

Your one OS exam is covered by 70-210 (which makes you an MCP).
    Your core networking exams are covered by 70-215, 70-216 and 70-217.
    Your design exam is covered by 70-220.
    One elective is covered by 70-214, and the other is covered by Security+.

As you can see from this page, those exams also qualify you for the MCSE:Security specialization.

Once you've finished those exams, I would recommend that you follow your plan to upgrade your MCSE by taking 70-292 and 70-296.

Best of luck!
    TranscenderMichael (at hotmail.com)
    MCSE+I, MCDST, MCDBA, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CNE, CCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, A+
    Kaplan IT
    Powering Transcender and Self Test Software
    Served proudly, USArmy, 98C, '89-'92