Options

ICND1 Booked for 11th February

Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey,

This thread is to keep me focused. The more people know about me taking the exam the more I will study.

I have routing and subnetting handled. OSI, networking basics and basic CLI configuration is also covered. Looking at the ICND1 blueprint I feel I'm missing alot of knowledge widely across the key subjects.

WLAN is my weakest area. I have not covered security in ages but scored around 100% last time on netacad. I have to learn how to set up DHCP and DNS, and various WAN protocols.

I keep panicking about VLAN's and NAT but forget they are in ICND2, which is a relief. Then I remember VLAN's and NAT are in Frame Relay's shadow icon_eek.gif

I do not work in IT, and the CCNA will be my first cert to hopefully gain me some entry level NOC work. I keep looking up what MCITP course I would need for a technical support job and forget that I dont even have my CCENT yet. Hopefully a week before my exam I'll have a panic attack and really crack on with revision.

Wish me luck!

Kai.

Comments

• Options
    mattaumattau Member Posts: 218
    goodluck :) you sound like me. i had no knowledge in it or networking and am looking to sit my icnd1 mid year. the good thing about sitting the 2 exams is you can study the icnd2 separately once you pass the first one. there is so much info you need to absorb that's for sure! I could spend a whole month reading about WAN's but have to keep on track :)

please post back here once you have sat the exam. id love to know how it went and what it was like

• Options
    Greenmet29Greenmet29 Member Posts: 240
    Good luck! Don't forget that you don't need to know how to setup DHCP from the command line for ICND1, but you do need to know how to do it through SDM. If you have subnetting down, I would say you're more than half way there. Just know that book inside and out.

I would also suggest using the boson lab environment from the cisco press book. It's free with the purchase of the book and gets you familiar with the exam environment. It has about 150 ccent level questions, and helped me a lot.
  • Options
    2 exams are great, but NAT, VLAN's, Frame Relay and other WAN protocols for icnd 2 will be tough. Saying that, You could focus on NAT for one day and have it nailed, and then Frame Relay for a day or two. As anxious as I am taking the ICND2 im a little bit excited as well.

Im downloading GNS3 and setting up SDM on that.

Kai.
  • Options
    After a week of getting 53% - 65% on the MeasureUp Exam Cram test CD, I just got 97% out of nowhere icon_eek.gif

Im getting panicky as well, because I am not sure how different the questions would be compared to the exam cram questions. Also, I got the 97% from lowering the test questions to 50 from 75. I think I will stick to 75 questions, and bump it up every time I get a pass.

Using the custom test, I have "Cisco Network Fundamentals, TCP/IP addressing and protocol, basic IOS config and basic serial WAN connectivity, network management, Routing and routing protocols" selected.

The topics left are; "ISDN, Access lists and NAT, Serial WAN and Frame Relay, Catalyst switches and end-user connectivity, VLANS".

Three things I want ingrained into my head by next week are the basic NAT, DHCP and DNS configurations. I struggle mostly on network management. I work full time so study time is very limited, but I am studying every second I have free.

Sorry if this post is not easy to read. I want to post this before I head off to work and Im already late icon_lol.gif
    Kai.
  • Options
    Its 0.15am and I have my exam tomorrow at 11.15am.

I wont be passing it this time. I feel I am 75% there. I thought the ICND 1 had 75 questions but I have read its around 50, which leaves little room for error.

Im worried I will forget everything once I go into the exam room, or over-think an easy question and get it wrong. If I dont pass, I will re-book it for 2 weeks time and really study hard and get everything nailed. I have everything kinda nailed now, but I have no real way of testing how much I know.

I dont think i'll be sleeping tonight icon_sad.gif

Kai.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Kai123 wrote: »
    I dont think i'll be sleeping tonight icon_sad.gif
    There are "Beverages" drunken_smilie.gif that could help you sleep tonight. Just make sure you're awake and alert for your exam tomorrow. :D

Good Luck!! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    jdfriesenjdfriesen Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck tomorrow! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Got 80% doing 50 questions using the measureup CD software.

Its not that simple in the exam though is it? Each question has weight regarding what question it is and if its a sim. Hopefully that will work in my favor.

Anyway, time for sleep. Thanks for the good luck!

Kai.
  • Options
    impzimpz Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Kai123 wrote: »
    Got 80% doing 50 questions using the measureup CD software.

Its not that simple in the exam though is it? Each question has weight regarding what question it is and if its a sim. Hopefully that will work in my favor.

Anyway, time for sleep. Thanks for the good luck!

Kai.
    lols what a coincidence; i did the measure up practice exam earlier today. aside from that good luck tommorow.
  • Options
    MaSterOfGRapesMaSterOfGRapes Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    All the Best Dude icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Good luck on your test today. I know the jitters very well, as long as you're able to relax and focus while there testing you should do fine.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Greenmet29Greenmet29 Member Posts: 240
  • Options
    I failed!

762 with a needed pass rate of 804.

Describe the operations of data networks 71%

Impliment a small switched network 56%

implement an IP address scheme and IP services for a small branch 100%

implement a small routed network 47%

Explain and select the appropriate administrative tasks required for WLAN 67%

Identify security threats to a network and solutions 100%

Implement and verify WAN links 33%

How much can I discuss the exam? One question in particular that I have an issue with which is why the verify WAN links is so low.

I will re-book for 2 weeks time. I have week off near the end of February so I should have some time to really study hard. I was an hour early getting to the college but it took me 30 odd minutes to find the building.

Even if I had time to go over the notes, nothing really prepares you for the exam. Measureup is good, but I think I had 18 out of 50 "tick the box" questions. The rest were sims, simlets (or whatever there called) and alot of dragging answers to boxes.

Failing sucks, but It was genuinely fun. I will definitely pass next time. I set up networks on packet tracer, but never really use the show commands or cdp to see the dirty details which is a necessity.

Kai.
  • Options
    dirtyharrydirtyharry Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You got it next time. Especially with a score so close. Everyone fails an exam. Cisco exams are tough.

YOU GOT IT! icon_cheers.gif