Options

No CCNA exp...what equip for lab setup

brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
I am starting the CCENT/CCNA at ground zero. I have good understanding of Windows, but not cisco.

At work, we have these spare parts I can build a lab from:
4x2600
1x3600

2x2950x24
1x3500x24

From what I have read breifly thus far, you need 3 of each. Would you recommend any different equipment or should I go with the 3600, 2x2600, and the 3 switches?

I looked through itunes podcasts, it wasnt very rich with ccna hands on material. Trainsignal is going to set me back $400...but I would be willing to get it if it is all that.

Any starter tips are welcome.

Comments

• Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Depending on IOS version and modules you have for the routers, I would say that what you have is more than enough. You want at least 2 serial ports in each router (or at least two in most of your routers if you have a bunch), and preferably 3 or 4 in one of them. You also want an IOS version of at least 12.2 (though higher is better) on the routers. Though you may need to install more memory and/or flash in order to support it. The 2600's go up to 12.3 and the 3600 goes up to 12.4 (unless it's a 3620). Three routers is the recommendation, though there's plenty of ways that you can use a fourth, so hold on to them all.

You'll also want to grab at least one book. Wendell Odom and Todd Lammle are the two favorites, take a look at the previews on Google Books to see which one's writing style you prefer. You really can't go wrong with either. Videos are also pretty popular, though for the price, I have a hard time really recommending them. Chris Bryant (Trainsignal/Bryant Advantage) and Jeremy Cioara (CBT Nuggets) are the most popular of those. CBT Nuggets has a few preview videos on their site, and Bryant has a bunch on YouTube. Don't rely solely on videos, they usually don't go in as much depth, and use at least 2 sources (2 books or 1 book/1 video).
  • Options
    SilverGeniusSilverGenius Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    alan2308 wrote: »
    Depending on IOS version and modules you have for the routers, I would say that what you have is more than enough. You want at least 2 serial ports in each router (or at least two in most of your routers if you have a bunch), and preferably 3 or 4 in one of them. You also want an IOS version of at least 12.2 (though higher is better) on the routers. Though you may need to install more memory and/or flash in order to support it. The 2600's go up to 12.3 and the 3600 goes up to 12.4 (unless it's a 3620). Three routers is the recommendation, though there's plenty of ways that you can use a fourth, so hold on to them all.

You'll also want to grab at least one book. Wendell Odom and Todd Lammle are the two favorites, take a look at the previews on Google Books to see which one's writing style you prefer. You really can't go wrong with either. Videos are also pretty popular, though for the price, I have a hard time really recommending them. Chris Bryant (Trainsignal/Bryant Advantage) and Jeremy Cioara (CBT Nuggets) are the most popular of those. CBT Nuggets has a few preview videos on their site, and Bryant has a bunch on YouTube. Don't rely solely on videos, they usually don't go in as much depth, and use at least 2 sources (2 books or 1 book/1 video).

Is the stuff that Chris Bryant sells on his website any good?
    CCNA CCNP Cisco Security Certification Exam, CCNA Boot Camp CBT
  • Options
    impzimpz Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is the stuff that Chris Bryant sells on his website any good?
    CCNA CCNP Cisco Security Certification Exam, CCNA Boot Camp CBT
    I bought the $25 CCNA package which entailed a detailed guide for ICND1/ICND2/CCNA Security. It also includes a CCNA Lab Workbook and a practice exam for CCNA. I personally think that the practice exams themselves were worth the $25 bucks. This site does look a bit ... unprofessional but the materials so far are good.
  • Options
    wilsonxwilsonx Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I do not mean to hijack this thread but I had a question. I am new to networking but have a strong grasp on subnetting from my college days and really want to get into networking and learn the cisco material. I have odom's book as well as CBT nuggets. I have purchased the following off ebay and all have arrived and work 2 2950 1 3550 2 2620xm 1 2621 1 2610 all work and have been tested from the basic knowledge I have right now. How many cables/crossover cables/ and what other types of cables and what type of card should i get for the router so i can just dig in deep and not have to wait on shipping of a certain item to continue with my study adventure Thanks
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @brad-
    I agree with alan, some labs you might want 4 routers or you might want to simply use a router with a different IOS just to see the differences.

@wilsonx
    5-6 straight though cables and 5 crossover would be a good start

personally, if you have the money
    I'd actually recommend buying a 100-foot roll of cat5e, a box of rj45 connecters, and a crimper. Making your own cables is always fun ^^
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA