MCITP lab advice

han.nethan.net Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello ,

I will start my MCITP course in few weeks from now and have just build a pc for a lab , and would like your advice please .

I have AMD PHenon Quid CPU 3.2 GHz , 8 GB DDR3 Ram 1600 Mhz
2 x 500 GB SATA HDD can add another 250 GB or 2 IDE 160 GB

I was planing to install Windows 7 64 bit and use Citrix or VMware , and in another partition installing Windows server 2008 R2 for Hyper-v .

Can you please advise and suggest an effective lab paln according to what I have with as much detias as possible

Regards

Comments

• BlitzOmegaBlitzOmega Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm running VMware Workstation on my laptop with Win7x64. Intel i7-820, 8gb RAM. Works like a charm for a lab environment.

I just created a separate Team with a Test LAN for local connection. I'm pretty happy with it. I've noticed the fastest way to host a new server is to make a clone of the VM before joining the domain. Kinda like an image to offer a good starting point for new servers. So far Ive run 3 DC's and 2 XP workstations at once sitting at about 6.5 gb RAM utilized. I don't have any experience with Citrix so I can not comment on that. gl
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The virtualization products from Citrix, specifically XenServer and XenClient, will not do what you want. You cannot install either "onto" Windows 7, rather, both install directly onto a computer. If you want to run VMs on Windows 7, you can use VMware Workstation (excellent, but not free) or Oracle VirtualBox (also excellent, and it is free).
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Depending on your version of 7, I run Ultimate myself and it's a resource hog. You should be alright on the RAM and CPU, depends on how many clients you're running at the same time. I currently have 2 DC's and a file server with 2 client systems with 6 GB of RAM, running fine but my CPU is my bottleneck. Seriously thinking about buying some Power-Edge systems to run VMs.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • han.nethan.net Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Guys ,

I will need maybe to run 6 or 7 clients in addition to the 2008

I have another PC with 2 GB and Dual core CPU and 250 GB

Can you suggest if I need that pc or not , and also with the powerful PC , do I need more than HDD ??? to practice RAID ??

or all will done through VM ware ??

Regards

Hani
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    han.net wrote: »
    Thanks Guys ,

I will need maybe to run 6 or 7 clients in addition to the 2008

I have another PC with 2 GB and Dual core CPU and 250 GB

Can you suggest if I need that pc or not , and also with the powerful PC , do I need more than HDD ??? to practice RAID ??

or all will done through VM ware ??

Regards

Hani

If you can use the other system do so. Add some additional RAM on that one at least up to 6 GB and you should be more than covered. From what I understand having additional HDDs for RAID would be a good thing. That could end up being your bottleneck speedwise.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • han.nethan.net Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Right , I did nt get how do you want me to include my second PC , can you explain ?

Also what about RAIDS ? do I need to prectisc that on a real HDD or on VM ?

Regards